The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Who are your personal heroes?  (Read 1220 times)

Offline Corran Orreaux

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Topic Starter
    • Awards
Who are your personal heroes?
« on: September 04, 2017, 05:12:15 AM »
Any person that has impacted you as a person, you look up to and want to model yourself after. Can be real or fictional.

Victor Hugo seems to be often lost amid more popular humanitarians like Martin Luther King. Victor was a man who fought for what he believed in, which is a theme you'll notice a lot in my heroes; He firmly believed execution to be wrong, he spoke out against it in a time where you could be executed for greeting someone in the wrong way. He penned 'hunchback of notre dame' which was a piece of work that helped me desperately when my issues with depression was at their worst. This man lived to see all of his children die, despite these horrible tragedies, he pushed on with his life and his efforts to fight for people. 

This is a much more personal one, David Gaider's books are the main reason I fell in love with writing and reading. I was twelve and just had gotten into the series that would become the most important fictional thing to me; Dragon Age. David was the lead writer of the DA games (He was lead on every main DA game before he left bioware after inquisition.) With that he had penned three books, two of them being prequels to DAO, the third being one to DA2. Then I was very much of the mindset that reading was boring, despite this I happened to be browsing a barnes & noble and had found his first DA book, 'The Stolen Throne' I bought it but waited a couple days before I finally started reading it, I couldn't put it down after the first page. 

Mr. Ore Isn't a celebrity, he isn't a historical figure or great in a traditional sense. He was my 6th grade social studies teacher, it was through him I found a love of history. He was a father figure to me, at this time my parents were in the middle of a divorce and my dad had left to deal with personal issues while my mom had her own. It was hard on both them and us. Mr. Ore was the only person I felt I could talk to, he did not disappoint. He was one of these rare teachers who loved what he was doing and wanted his students to love it too. He stressed how important it was that we learn our rights as citizens so as to ensure we are prepared from unjust moves by others or the government.

Drew Karpyshyn is another reason why I love reading, the Darth Bane Trilogy was something I had gotten into shortly after Dragon Age. Star Wars is easily the second most important fictional series to me, his books confirmed that.

Offline Solomon the Solitary

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
  • Subtle but bold.
    • Awards
  • Species: Chinese/Western Dragon Hybrid.
  • Coloring: Night black with a royal purple underbelly.
  • Height: Over 7'8.
  • Weight: 300-365 pounds.
  • Build: Muscular build and a fairly curvy body.
  • Currently: Feeling confident.
Re: Who are your personal heroes?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 07:13:33 AM »
Well, some of mine are a bit silly but I hope that everyone understands them. Anyway, here's a short list of my personal heroes. I don't have any in real life at the moment, as I relate better to fictional characters anyway, but still they are real to me in some way.

While not my favorite of my pony princesses, Princess Luna is the one I relate with the most. I remember watching the first episode with Nightmare Moon and feeling a connection between her and me, as her form was taken in by jealousy and sorrow of never being what everyone (or pony) wanted. I relate that, even now after watching that episode, as my form was once that of a darker self that was driven by the anger of being rejected. I understand the pain she must have felt being cast away, as it was the same I felt when I was cast from those who claimed to love me. And now? In later episodes, the show covered how Luna felt horrible about what Nightmare Moon was and did and so do I. I hurt a lot of people during that time and I regret it, but I move slowly everyday to learn to forgive myself. She's one of my many personal heroes, and I admire her for that.

Another pony I admire greatly is Starlight Glimmer. A lot of people drag on her for having a 'weak backstory' as to why she was a villain, but I don't think she did. She was replaced and ignored! And as a result, she became to relate cutie marks with change, and change with the pain of replacement. I relate to this thought, as I lost many friends and instead of knowing that time alters all relationships, I grew to think that those friends were getting rid of me or replacing me. The Same Town was something that related to be sort of abstractly, in a way, as it reminds me of a time where I believed true equality was everyone suffering the same. When it was revealed that she never gave up her own cutie mark, it was like me realizing that my vision of true equality was nothing more than other people having no power while I did as to sate the control desire in me that was never given a chance. She's my personal hero because now she is a hero, despite being a villain once. She learned about friendship and balance, and now? She's probably going to be the next princess and help people learn to love and accept the magic of friendship, and I admire that.

I remember when I first started watching Steven Universe after flipping to C.N after a show on Animal Planet was running commercials. I remembered catching the end of one episode and the start of another, and already then I was hooked! I love this show, I loved the gems and the story and the design and everything! It's not uncommon to hear about a S.U fan relating to a gem but for me, that gem will always be Amethyst. I'll preface by saying this - I'm transgender (a transgender male, to be exact) and I've always been ... small. I'm 5'6 and most of the guys around me tower over me, and I know that they don't care as I'm still the same dude despite my height and strength differences, but it ... bothers me. It bothers me knowing that I'm considered short and weak and different than the others, and that's something that Amethyst has to deal with as well. The fight with Jasper really just sums up my fight with society and myself, always having to prove that I'm male enough to be male and knowing that I'm considered 'failed' in the eyes of Homeworld (or society). The reason she's my hero is because she doesn't stop, ever. She knows she can't win against Jasper alone, and while some see it as a way to preserve an ego, I see it as raw desire to prove herself. She's also as goofy and food-loving as I am, and my room probably has some corrupted gems in it as well but I'll always admire her for her strength to exist, even though she's a runt.

The second gem I admire is Pearl for everything from her fighting to her voice. Pearls on H.W aren't made for anything other than being poodles in purses for high gems or assistants to high gems as well. Pearl is neither, she's her own gem and she's a fighter! I admire that why being not as physically-bodied as a Quartz or a fusion like Garnet, she can still roll out the punches just as well as they can and do. She's quick to learn and even quicker to execute, and might I add that all her songs are beautiful and heart-felt! Another reason I consider her to be a personal hero is because of her grief over the 'death' of Rose Quartz. I've lost a lot of people, both physically and mentally, and I feel for her grief for her unrequited love as it reminds me of my own. But even as she grieves (openly sometimes) she knows that she must be there for Steven (or in my case, my duties) and cannot let her emotions cloud the future. That doesn't mean she bottles her feelings, as in the show she is seen expressing her emotions and sorrow through song and her sometimes outbursts, but the biggest way she does is through her loyalty to the battlefield (i.e Connie's training) and how devoted she is. You can really see how she grieves for Rose by being everything she can that she might not have been for Rose and more, and that's why I consider her to be a personal hero of mine.

That's my (short) list. I have many personal heroes but I decided to write about my favorites here. Hope I didn't bore you! Anyway, nice topic there, King and I love your choices as well! 

Offline Inactive123

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
    • Awards
Re: Who are your personal heroes?
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 02:08:08 AM »
If I'm gonna be real here it was my mate Aisharu.  ^_^  she has helped me in so many ways with depression shes been there during my most bad meltdowns and has been patient with me through it all so I want to dedicate this post to her since she's the best (Love you baby  :* )