The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Don't Ask for My Input if You Don't Care About My Input  (Read 650 times)

Offline John Red Beard

• Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Topic Starter Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Lioren (Lion)
  • Coloring: Tan with auburn markings
  • Height: 6’ 4"quot
  • Weight: 225 lbs
  • Build: Tall, dad bod
  • Currently: Napping
Don't Ask for My Input if You Don't Care About My Input
« on: July 22, 2017, 06:25:41 PM »
One of my biggest pet peeves is when someone asks for my input but they obviously don't care what my input is.

Case in point, when someone at work asks me, "How late are you planning on staying tonight?" If I say I'm planning on staying until 6:00, and they want me to stay until at least 5:30, then I'm staying at least as late as they want me to. But if they want me to stay until 7:00, they'll say, "Oh gee, I really needed you to stay until 7:00," and I'm staying as late as they want me to. In other words, my answer made no difference whatsoever, and they knew my answer would make no difference, yet they asked anyway.

I realize they're trying to be polite by easing into the demand they're about to make, but it's a deceptive and selfish move, because it attempts to create the illusion that my input matters, and only makes the asker feel better. I'd have a lot more respect for them if they'd just tell me what they want.
Tsaenoa (sounds like "sigh Noah")   Daome (sounds like "dow may")