The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: I'm just happy I ever met you  (Read 770 times)

Offline Mousey

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
    • Awards
I'm just happy I ever met you
« on: May 14, 2017, 04:36:40 PM »
Paws dirty with oil from his friend's mechanic arm. The biomachinery supporting his mechanical limbs is accompanied by multiple error codes and an oblivious female voice coming from the smartphone next to them.

- Please seek acute biotechnological assistance. Multiple internal errors detected. Nearest aid station located in [unknown distance] from you. Thanks for using LifeSure

They had met while he was waiting for his uncle's surgery, which had turned into his last. In the next bed was this limbless fox waiting as well. They'd started talking to lighten the mood, making less anxiety of the situation. Having no limbs was odd he said, even stranger was to replace them with recently alpha tested machinery which would be combined with large swathes of the nervous system to support the body's additions. The surgery itself was high risk, and afterwards the person would have to take several hours to insert biochemical fluid to keep it all going. The app for the smartphone had come for free, if you didn't count the constant daily reminders. It kept track of everything; temperature, errors, oil oxygen levels, and so on.

They'd gone for walks and had fun together during the habilitation period after the surgery. It took his mind off the uncle. Both of them needed the company of someone who understood - after uncle passed, nobody else really understood what it had been like, except for him.

LifeSure went bankrupt several years ago. Their products were apparently produced in harsh conditions to keep the chain cheap and their testing had been skewed by a long line of powerful business men. With hundreds of faulty instalments, the company was a failure within under an hour. Stocks fell - politicians promised security and change.

Many conversations had been about what to expect. They both knew this day would come and promised to be with each other when it did. Today, it's several years later. This morning he got the call.

- It's happening

Didn't even bother calling emergency services. They had both seen the outraged reporters and doctors speaking out. Everyone had their own bottomless critique, but one word kept reoccurring;

Death

So he ran to the car out the keys in, and within ten minutes batched through the front door. Now they're looking at each other. Uncle gave the same feeling. If only they'd never met in that room... But it's like his friend can read his mind. He talks with a weak voice.

- Oh, don't look so down my friend. I've lived twice in this life. I used to love sports you know. I played it all, football, basketball, tennis, swimming... And it was all so picturesque of the life I wanted. And one day I lost everything that meant something. I lived, but my life died. I sat in that hospital - a body with no life left. Then someone sat beside me, opened up their own life to me. Gave me what had been lost. And for no reason what so ever I can understand. It doesn't matter when I die, only that I die with the wonderful life you gave me.

- And I with the life you gave me

Somehow they both sound satisfied. Like this isn't the end of their friendship, only their life together.

He puts his paws around his friend's head, hugs it gently. They both close their eyes. Waiting. Then his friend stops breathing. He hugs him a bit stronger, and keeps doing it for several minutes in the silence. But even if it should, a moment never lasts forever. So he lets go with one paw but keeps the other under his head, looks at his friend's eyes with his own wet ones. They're closed, but with a hint of happiness... And calm. If only he'd said it...

- I love you...