Author Topic: I can't enjoy videogames anymore.  (Read 1232 times)

Offline BennyJackdaw

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Meep!
    • Awards
  • Species: Giant Rat
I can't enjoy videogames anymore.
« on: April 25, 2017, 11:55:00 PM »
I feel like I'm cursed to just not like games. No one is making the game that nails what I want. Every time I look forward to something, or even every time I LIKE something, there's always something that ruins it for me.

I was looking forward to Yooka-Laylee for a while. It has a BAT in it! I love bats! Yet I kept telling myself "it stars an animal, it's gonna suck," and people promised me it would be good. What do you know? It got mediocre scores, just like every game I look forward to! For once I'd just like to be wrong when I say "it stars an animal, it's gonna suck." So, what? Now I have to look forward to A Hat In Time, which I have zero interest in in earnest, and (groan) Super Mario Odessy? I don't know if it's a secret, but... I HATE Mario Games. I hate their generic gameplay, their primitive bosses, their clunky and slippery gameplay, and yet people think I absolutely HAVE to like Mario games because they're "untouchable."

Even when I do like a game, like Pokemon, there's still something to ruin it. Sun and Moon came out, and never have I felt less fired up for Pokemon. No, not because I "grew out of it" or anything, I love Pokemon games. But I lost interest when I found that Sun and Moon had just about zero new diversions except for Battle Royale, and it got rid of everything else, including the Super Training and Pokemon Amie minigames. But what I hate the most about the game are two Pokemon: Pheromosa and Guzzlord.

Personally, I don't like skinny Pokemon. I like big, bulky, can take punishment type Pokemon. So I look at the new Pokemon and we get only ONE token big, fat tank type Pokemon, heck there's only a couple that are even remotely filled out this time. Guzzlord is the only design in gen 7 that I really like all that much, and he's SUPPOSED to be this super Powerful Pokemon because he's an "Ultra Beast" and yet he turns out to be a complete JOKE! And yet, we get this hideous, anorexic cockroach who does way more damage with attacks than it realistically  should be able to do, just like Greninja, except I think Pheromosa is even more repulsive looking.

And then there are the games that feel like they're designed just to piss me off, like the Project X Zone games. All I wanted out of either game was one, just ONE non-human playable. But no! Plenty of non-human VILLAINS, but both Project X Zones had ALL HUMANS for playables. (Before anyone mentions Morrigan or X or such: if they have a general human appearance: THEY'RE HUMAN. Period. I don't care if a character is "technically" non-human if they still look human.) This might not have been a big deal for most, but it's a gamebreaker for me. I, basically, cannot enjoy this game because it honestly makes me sick playing a game that has a "Humans are the absolute good" type setting. God, all I needed to be happy was one, JUST ONE non-human. That was too much to ask for.

I'm at the point of just giving up videogames. What is the point of buying them if people stopped making games I can enjoy anymore?

Offline Albie

• Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Top 100 Poster
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My Drawings
    • Awards
  • Species: Lucario
  • Coloring: Pink
  • Height: 3'11"
  • Currently: On Cloud 9 with a Shadow Fox
Re: I can't enjoy videogames anymore.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 12:10:16 AM »
It sounds like you are trying to force yourself to playing these games.  If you don't like Mario games, then why look forward to it?  Try games that you don't know much about and you may find that you might find something that you didn't know you liked.
  • Signature art by: Lucario by Me -- Flags by Bricket

Offline Skall

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
  • Spero Spera
    • Awards
  • Species: Cat
  • Coloring: Reddish fur, hair is a darker shade, bright blue eyes.
  • Height: 5'2"
  • Weight: 115 lbs.
  • Build: Petite, flexible, but surprisingly strong.
  • Currently: Fine. Really.
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 02:59:39 AM »
Two words: Star Fox. Banjo Kazooie. Crash Bandicoot. All of these apply.

I have to agree with Albie--if you don't like a game, or you think you won't like it, don't play it.

I don't understand where this loathing of human protagonists came from, but, that's unfortunately the majority of video games on the market. All I can really say is you're missing out on some great games.

But I can't tell you what you are and aren't missing out on, but I don't think the developers are to blame.
You can't make a product successful without a particular group of people willing to buy, and I think most people prefer games with playable human characters. A company is only trying to make a profit, after all. Which is why I've lost respect for Nintendo myself, because it's no longer about the games.

But, really, you can't judge a game by its character roster. Humans have opposable thumbs.
We were never meant to walk over water. We were meant to immerse ourselves and recall how to move.

-- Margot Schlipp

Offline Captain Degenerate

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
  • NO UGLY ALLWD RUN CUSTOMER AWAY
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: A something
  • Coloring: Its got color but I dont have the skill to color it!
  • Height: 5:5.235647834233536684
  • Weight: 120 pounds
  • Build: Skinny?
  • Currently: Addicted to the booty.
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 04:19:09 AM »
Then play sports.

Or better yet play World of tanks no humans in sight and you can have your bulky take a punishment fetish or whatever.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 04:21:25 AM by Captain Degenerate »
I hope my big gay butt doesn't get any bigger or gayer!

Offline George

• The Cyan
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • "Don't be square, be cube"
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Baja Blast
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: Almost 200 lbs
  • Build: A bit soft
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 04:20:13 AM »
Sounds like you're just not a game guy.

EDIT: Scratch that, I thought about it a bit more. Seems like things made by/for humans in general just don't suit you. Try something else and see if it goes better.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 04:22:37 AM by George »

Offline Vortex Cynbel

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Blue
  • Build: Normal
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: I wanna learn to code dammit x3
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 07:18:45 AM »
I get the feeling you saying. Personally I consider myself a gamer and I have had this feeling many times. This is what inspired me to become a game developer. You know, if I can't find the perfect game why don't I make one? Now of course I am not telling you to become a game developer xD

So when I have that feeling "UGH another boring generic game that kinda interests me but not really" I just stop playing or researching about games for a while x3 . I mean when I am oversaturated by games I just stop caring about them. I start looking at other stuff like music and anime, so I forget that games even exist for a while xD . After this when I go back into gaming I find myself much more interest and intrigued.

This happens with all of my interests.. bored of listening to that genre of music? Then I listen to some other music or no music at all for a while. Bored with anime? I take up gaming again...

Now if you don't have any other major hobbies I'd say you can develop one ^_^ . Like drawing or writing or even a simple hangout with friends can help!

Anyways, sorry for the late response >w< I hope I helped! Let us know how this goes! :)
  • Avatar by: Nana (from furry amino)
  • Signature art by: Fable

Offline BennyJackdaw

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Meep!
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 10:06:27 AM »
Two words: Star Fox. Banjo Kazooie. Crash Bandicoot. All of these apply.

I have to agree with Albie--if you don't like a game, or you think you won't like it, don't play it.

I don't understand where this loathing of human protagonists came from, but, that's unfortunately the majority of video games on the market. All I can really say is you're missing out on some great games.

But I can't tell you what you are and aren't missing out on, but I don't think the developers are to blame.
You can't make a product successful without a particular group of people willing to buy, and I think most people prefer games with playable human characters. A company is only trying to make a profit, after all. Which is why I've lost respect for Nintendo myself, because it's no longer about the games.

But, really, you can't judge a game by its character roster. Humans have opposable thumbs.

I don't think it's a secret by now, but I am misanthropic. So if you were to ask if a game is more fun if it doesn't star humans, yes it is. ...For me anyway.

Actually, most people would rather play as something that ISN'T human. ...Of those that care. Most people really don't. However, most people who do would rather play as a non-human. Unfortunately, anti-furries make up the majority of major critics. Still, I believe games staring other creatures is a market with untapped potential.

I get the feeling you saying. Personally I consider myself a gamer and I have had this feeling many times. This is what inspired me to become a game developer. You know, if I can't find the perfect game why don't I make one? Now of course I am not telling you to become a game developer xD

Funny you should say that. I've been kind of working on this personal game project recently that's a fatfur RPG. It's nothing I'll release commercially, but I still plan on allowing others to play it, and already have BETAs out.

I agree with Albie and Skall, you don't have to like or play games at all costs, however, I strongly discourage you from putting too much trust into game reviews, since if I don't like one game, it doesn't mean everyone will share my view, so always try a game before saying you don't like it.

In my personal and humble opinion, you are also being too sensitive about this though, I believe no game is untouchable, you can't name one single game which has no defects because there aren't any, so if a game is good you can see past the flaws, objective or subjective that they might be, and enjoy it regardless. For example, it's not true that Sun and Moon have zero diversity, unless you mean between the two games but in that case there have never been big differences between Red and Blue, Gold and Crystal, etc... except for Black/Black 2 and White/White 2. Sun and Moon are the two most different games of all the official ones, it introduced new concepts and gameplay features, and I don't like most of the new designs either, but I still enjoyed the games and spent many happy hours with Moon, because games are (for the most part) about having fun, and you don't have to let a tiny flaw like that ruin your fun.

To find games you like you have to understand what you are looking for: are you more interested in an original gameplay mechanic or in a more story based game? If you are looking for story based games with animal protagonists you don't have a lot of luck, because we furries are a minority, and in this kind of games people need to emphatize with the protagonist, and only we furries find it so easy to do so with animal characters, hence why most developers use human characters, because they are easier to identify yourself with for most people. On the other hand, if you would like to discover games with little to no story and a fun gameplay, I have a few suggestions for old videogames you can emulate on your PC or phone if you don't own the original consoles and if you don't mind old graphics: the first two Sonic games are still great to this day, then there are Klonoa, Spyro, Crash, Ducktales, Donald Duck Quack Attack, Donkey Kong Country, and so, so many others worth mentioning. If you want to find and play new games then keep looking, I'm sure you will find something that suits you, but always keep an open mind and open options.

I have been lead astray by too many reviews to trust them anymore.

From what I can tell, Sun Moon just has a bunch of rehashed features with a new coat of paint. Nothing is really all that new about them.

Like I said, I'm misanthropic, so humans have no connection to me. And I also disagree that animals cannot speak out to nonfurries. If they are really well written, they can. ...That being said, I don't care much about story. Still, the old games are good, but that was back then. I want to see the games I want in the recent years. I just want hope that someone can make a new game that will appeal to me some day.

Offline Michen_S

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • A wild MICHEN appeared!
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Feral snow leopard
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 02:56:00 PM »
There are a few games without humans in it. Just try to find them.

For the PC, there are a variety of games available. There are various music games without any characters. If you're not a fan of music games, you can try Rocket League, Curve Fever or Robot Roller-Derby Disco Dodgeball. If you want something with anthropomorphic/animal characters specifically, there's Dust: An Elysian Tail, Ori and the Blind Forest or FeralHeart. Maybe even Minecraft, if you can find or create your own furry-ish resource pack? Of course I advice you to look at what the games are before you start playing them.

For the DS there is Yoshi's Island or the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series. That's all I have. If you're looking for games that are not for the PC, it'll probably get very difficult to find some.

Offline BennyJackdaw

• Eager Elephant
  • Meep!
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 10:01:49 AM »
Past games aren't what are going to give me hope for anthro games in the future. I want to know of more recent games, please. Like, past three years recent.

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Poster Top 10 Topic Starter
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fur dragon
  • Coloring: Greens, reds and grey
  • Height: Approx. 2,10m (6.9ft) -with ears-
  • Build: Slender
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: -Local senpai- Will maybe have ninjurai's in the future.
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 05:23:53 PM »
Past games aren't what are going to give me hope for anthro games in the future. I want to know of more recent games, please. Like, past three years recent.

Michen did mention games which were released recently, like in the last three years if not less :)

(...) If you want something with anthropomorphic/animal characters specifically, there's Dust: An Elysian Tail, Ori and the Blind Forest or FeralHeart. (...)

Ori and the Blind Forest was released a bit over 2 years and a month ago.
Unsure about further information about this, but apparently there is a sequel in the works for Dust: An Elysian Tail 2, so maybe that's something to look forward to.
As for Feral Heart, that was released a bit more than a year ago, so also rather recent :)

As for future games there is also The Last Guardian. I don't believe the huge creature is playable, but apparently it does play a huge part in you solving puzzles and you form a bond with the creature. (As far as I know.)
Perhaps a crude comparison, but it is in a way similar to Pokémon. You need this non-human creature to help you through the game, to rely on them.

Now I know you mentioned you'd want to know about future games, but I wonder if you know about Jazz Jackrabbit. It's an old platform shooter with a green rabbit as main character.
You also have Okami, a stylish Japanese game. Sure there are humans, but the main focus is the wolf and his friends as well as the enemies being monsters and a variety of creatures.
Ratchet & Clank is another game, also old, but regardless it apparently has a recent reboot I've been told.

Also one last thing, I happened to find this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Video_games_featuring_anthropomorphic_characters
If you scroll down you'll see "Pages in category"Video games featuring anthropomorphic characters. Now it is a list that may or may not contain (recent) titles that you're interested in or not, but it might help you on your way to find new or other titles of games you're interested in.
I noticed some games might have a vague reference to anthropomorphic creatures, but I'm sure you can find something to your liking. If not, regardless, I hope I helped you (and potentially others) on their way :)

« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 05:25:54 PM by Ventus Fall »
  • Signature art by: Mr. Razot
♦ The friendly fluffy furry art dragon ♦
-> PM me for any questions or if you just want to chat ^^ I love to help! <-

> > Ventus Fall's backstory and information. < <

Links to my art pages and more:

deviantArt - FurAffinity - YouTube - Twitch - Twitter

Offline Michen_S

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • A wild MICHEN appeared!
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Feral snow leopard
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 07:18:55 PM »
FeralHeart itself is actually from before 2012, but they completely renovated and renewed the entire game last June.

Offline MrRazot

• Resident Nice-guy
  • Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Most Online Top 10 Topic Starter
  • Marching onward on my Quest
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lanner Falcon
  • Coloring: Selection of Browns
  • Height: Aprx 180cm
  • Weight: Aprx 50kg
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Well, it was a good run.
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 07:47:59 PM »
FeralHeart itself is actually from before 2012, but they completely renovated and renewed the entire game last June.

Sushhhhhhhhhhhh... it's a valid example  :3
  • Signature art by: MrRazot

Offline Ori

• Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 50 Topic Starter
  • "You can't see me" - John Cena
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Warm Grey, red, black
  • Height: 5ft 6 ish,
  • Weight: 140
  • Build: Skinny, Scrawny.
  • Currently: Working on college homework
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2017, 01:11:08 PM »
(Takes a look at Guzzlord Stats.) Oh jeez 200+ Base health x.x
Personally from my passed experience playing Meta, problem with Pokemon was that it was never ever balanced. They gave Blazikan speed boost with potential to sweep teams by turn one. And half of the megas are the same way. BROKE AS HELL.
This Pokemon in particular I think he's meant to be played passive aggressive. He has a modest attack and low defences so what you would do is play him tanky. I want to say give him assault vest and a ton of attack moves. But that might not work as assault vest ain't that good.
On the other hand he might do well playing him with Stockpile and then a bunch of other attack moves on top of leftovers. He's a dark dragon, that can take a hit. So he's a niche, meaning that he would be great for forcing switches on the opponent's team.
But yeah I'm looking at this guy and then some of the other beasts. They're not that balanced. I'd recommend playing doubles or triples, because there a lot of the underrated pokemon can shine. I mean. A guy won a legit tournament with pachirisu so yeah, definitely more balanced.

IN ANY CASE.
It's also true that a lot of games coming out nowadays are just not that great. Take a look at the comment section for the Prey's trailer on youtube. No one wants it. lol. It's not a bad game it's just. The same.
If you're looking for non-human protagonists online games are good for that. Like in League you get a mix of creatures and of course a chunk of the roster is full of big buff guys, cause they're tanks. Though I can't say they can deal damage or not as I've never played that game and usually tanks are support. Terra has a race that's Ginormous and honestly I can't understand why they exist. Guildwars 2 has like plant people  and Charr which looks like a where cat/tiger thing. Wild Star has robots, zombie-ish people, people, these small fur things, stone people, dragon people. I think that covers it? (They've got an interestingly diverse amount of species.) And I'm sure there are other games with a lot of species in terms of MMORPGs and Mobas.
Oh yeah speaking of platformers, Crash in coming back with an HQ remake of their first three games  I think?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 01:13:29 PM by Ori »
My name is Ori.

I am totally not trying to impersonate Edward Scissorhands. Who is that anyway?
Also I am humming this is Halloween.
Also John Cena Memes don't die. (John Cena theme blares in background)

Offline BennyJackdaw

• Eager Elephant
  • Meep!
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2017, 04:01:32 PM »
(Takes a look at Guzzlord Stats.) Oh jeez 200+ Base health x.x
Personally from my passed experience playing Meta, problem with Pokemon was that it was never ever balanced. They gave Blazikan speed boost with potential to sweep teams by turn one. And half of the megas are the same way. BROKE AS HELL.
This Pokemon in particular I think he's meant to be played passive aggressive. He has a modest attack and low defences so what you would do is play him tanky. I want to say give him assault vest and a ton of attack moves. But that might not work as assault vest ain't that good.
On the other hand he might do well playing him with Stockpile and then a bunch of other attack moves on top of leftovers. He's a dark dragon, that can take a hit. So he's a niche, meaning that he would be great for forcing switches on the opponent's team.
But yeah I'm looking at this guy and then some of the other beasts. They're not that balanced. I'd recommend playing doubles or triples, because there a lot of the underrated pokemon can shine. I mean. A guy won a legit tournament with pachirisu so yeah, definitely more balanced.

IN ANY CASE.
It's also true that a lot of games coming out nowadays are just not that great. Take a look at the comment section for the Prey's trailer on youtube. No one wants it. lol. It's not a bad game it's just. The same.

If you're looking for non-human protagonists online games are good for that. Like in League you get a mix of creatures and of course a chunk of the roster is full of big buff guys, cause they're tanks. Though I can't say they can deal damage or not as I've never played that game and usually tanks are support. Terra has a race that's Ginormous and honestly I can't understand why they exist. Guildwars 2 has like plant people  and Charr which looks like a where cat/tiger thing. Wild Star has robots, zombie-ish people, people, these small fur things, stone people, dragon people. I think that covers it? (They've got an interestingly diverse amount of species.) And I'm sure there are other games with a lot of species in terms of MMORPGs and Mobas.
Oh yeah speaking of platformers, Crash in coming back with an HQ remake of their first three games  I think?

Considering Guzzlord is the only one not useable in OU (he's RU last I checked) it does make me sad that one of the only Pokemon this gen I like is RU while Pheromosa is overpowered. I mean, yeah, he can still be used, but not really in a 1V1 setting. Also, I don't think there's any reason at all that Pheromosa should have the high physical attack she has. High special attack MAYBE, but physical? With those spindly-ass arms? Absolutely not!

Oh, thank god! You know, when I first saw the commercial for Prey, my initial thought was "Geeze, it's like videogame makers don't have any creativity anymore." I wonder if this is a sign that people are starting to tire of the whole "humans vs aliens" cliche.

I've heard of those games. I've no way of playing LoL, but would like to some day. I keep forgetting, is Terra the one with the poor-fitting raccoon race, or is that Rift? I like that Guild Wars 2 has non-human races, but not so much that they're both kinda villain races. I mean you don't have to play them as villains, but still. Always been interested in Wild Star, but kind of the same as LoL. Also, Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy is on it's way. It's looking pretty good so far, and people seem to like it based on the demo. What could POSSIBLY go wrong?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 04:10:05 PM by BennyBunnycorn »