The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: How to Dye Faux Fur!  (Read 1105 times)

guest22811

How to Dye Faux Fur!
« on: March 16, 2017, 01:03:56 PM »

There is always that one damn moment when you find out your fur supplier doesn't sell the color of fur that you need!
I found an awesome solution to this - Dyeing the fur.
I found many preexisting tutorials on how to do this, but most of them required proper dye or just ridiculous amounts of labour.
Out of curiousity, I wanted to see how my own idea would turn out.

(The image has been slightly edited because my phone wouldn't show the correct color >:(   )
It looked absolutely amazing and still had it's original texture!!!
The original fur was a white color.

Now, I am here to tell you how dis works and how you can do it yourself.
I highly suggest you to only dye in batches, never dump your entire fur stash into the dye in one time or it might result in mistakes and irreversable problems!

Materals:
- White Faux Fur.
- A large tub or tray(I used one of those flat underbed storage boxes. You can use a pre-existing one and hose it down afterwards, don't worry.
- tube(s) of acrylic paint of your desired color.
- A flat area of concrete
- Hairdryer
- Brush
- Water lmao.
- A stick or your hands to mix the paint.

Steps:
1) You basically want to fill up your tub with water until it's about 1 inch / 3 cm deep, then squeeze your paint in. Mix it with a rod or your hands THOROUGHLY otherwise patches of paint might appear on your fur when you dye it.
Don't put paint first then water, because the paint will stick to the tub. Putting water first ensures that the paint will just float around in it when you dump that stuff in.
More paint = more vibrant. Use as much paint as you desire. Watch out though, make sure the mixture is watery. Anything thick is gonna make the fur feel sticky when you dry it.
2) Put the piece of fur that you desire to dye in the tub, FUR UP. It looks really cool when it slowly sinks :D You need to do it fur up just in case some paint *did* get stuck on the bottom of the tub. You would rather want paint stains on the backing of the fur, not the fur fibres. You will see what I'm talking about if it happens to you, but usually it doesnt
3) Take the fur out and quickly lay it flat on your flat area of concrete. It sounds ridiculous, but hey! It's the best way to let it dry.
DO NOT HANG IT!!! The dye will slowly accumulate at the bottom, leaving the top white and creating a badly done gradient effect. Drying it on a rack also doesn't do good because it tends to be bumpy. If you have like, a screen or something, I guess you can use that.
Anywhere completely flat will do, in fact.
4) Let that stuff dry. It usually takes about 1 1/2 days to half dry.
5) After it is half dry, get your brush and brush the fur in the opposite direction.
Fur tends to turn flat when you dye it. Brushing it the other way will make it look fluffier if you like that. If not, leave it as it is.
6) When it is *nearly* dry, take it in and dry the rest with your hairdryer ON A COLD SETTING! If you continue leaving it outside to dry, it can 1. be blown away, making it dirty and 2. become brittle (Happened to me)
7) Ta dah! Admire your work.

I have no idea if this works for long pile fur, perhaps someone on this forum will try. Tell me how it goes!

Offline Alistair

• Resident pink saber
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Awards
  • Species: Smilodon Populator
  • Coloring: Strawberry, cream, and black
  • Height: 7'2"
  • Weight: 350lb
  • Build: Stocky
  • Currently: Fortnite dancing into the inevitable future
Re: How to Dye Faux Fur!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 03:05:54 PM »
Nice, handy little guide to dying faux fur. Thanks. It's always a hassle to find the right shade of yellow for my fursona.
Royal Saber floof mane the first

Sir Sabering the first

Offline Nori

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: {Aiklar http://aiklarspecies.webs.com/} & {Eastern Dragon}
  • Coloring: {Black, light blue, purple, turquoise, red and dark blue} & {Purple, lavender, sea green & black}
  • Height: 5'3"
  • Weight: 115 lb
  • Build: Lean
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Recuperating
Re: How to Dye Faux Fur!
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 03:07:25 PM »
Great tutorial!! Thanks for sharing what you found out!