Author Topic: job advice?  (Read 452 times)

Offline Calun the Bat

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • But Nobody Came
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Spectacled Flying Fox
  • Coloring: dark brown main, sandy/gold secondary, assorted blues. Black/maroon eyes.
  • Height: 6' 00"
  • Weight: 185
  • Reference: [link]
job advice?
« on: March 12, 2017, 01:53:42 AM »
So, allegedly in approximately a year and a half or so to two years, maybe a bit longer, depending on how things move, I'm supposed to be moving out with the best-friend.

My problem now, comes from (as usual) my brother. I'll spare the fine details, since this isn't meant to be rant, but an advice post.

Basically, through some (seemingly) sneaky tactics, I've lost most, if not all, of my security shifts which my brother has conveniently picked up. Er... again, I'll spare the details.

Anyway, I'm trying to continue my path as an author in life, and while I'm happy to stay determined and punch through as far as I can, I would like to have some manner of at least part-time job that I can pick up to keep even a small income coming in. Especially in the event of moving.

Allegedly her brother may be able to help me job hunt, since he's already helped her. Which would be splendid. But I'd still need pay in the interim in order to... well... live even somewhat comfortably, as well as be ready for a move. Regardless of whether I end up with her, or if she ends up out here with me.

Now, with my brother doing all the shifts, and my father a full time teacher and now spending a lot of time with a satellite launch program, my mother who needs 24/7 medical care at home has nobody else. Unfortunately this means that I can't go out and work, barring the earliest hours of the morning. Unfortunately again, the only jobs I know of are the security ones which I no longer have available. Also, he plans on retiring in about a year if the district keeps changing the way it's heading, but we don't know. If that's the case, then I can pretty much do whatever. I just refuse to leave my mom, because that'd be bad for her AND my dad.

Does anyone have any thoughts on one of two things?

1) Any suggestions for work at home? Anywhere hiring that I can do without having to leave, since I essentially can't leave the house for maybe 80% of the day yet?

or

2) I heard that there are ways to get the state to pay a family member who's acting as a live-in nurse. Does anyone know anything about that? I haven't been able to find anything about it (California), and if that were the case, that would be a LOT easier to do until it's time later on.
"The world is what you make of it, sir! If it doesn't fit, you make alterations."

Offline Vortex Cynbel

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Blue
  • Build: Normal
  • Currently: I wanna learn to code dammit x3
Re: job advice?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 11:03:05 AM »
Usually working online really restricts your options since you only have experience in the security business. If I was in your position I would try to see how I can turn my hobbies into jobs opportunities. Maybe you like to write then you can self publish a book or write articles in an online newspaper. Maybe you like drawing so you can do commissions. Maybe you know how to code so you can make and publish apps or websites for various clients.

If nothing of the above suggestions don't work then don't worry I am sure you have much more stuff you can do to make some income by working online ^_^ . Also I would suggest that if you feeling you find nothing that you know you are good enough to make it as a job then start experimenting learning new things... You can learn how to code online by self teaching yourself for example.

As for other jobs that let you work at home and you can avoid their offices all together I am not aware currently of something specific but I am guessing if you google something like this " Work from home Job opportunities at (location)" I think you'll have many great chances of discovering such jobs.

Anyways I hope I was a help  :3 Good luck!
  • Avatar by: Nana (from furry amino)
  • Signature art by: Fable

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Top 50 Most Online
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fur dragon
  • Coloring: Greens, reds and grey
  • Height: Approx. 2,10m (6.9ft) -with ears-
  • Build: Slender
  • Currently: -Local senpai- Will maybe have ninjurai's in the future.
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 11:58:32 AM »
There are loads of online jobs, but it's indeed kind of a maze to figure out what to do and where you can find the 'workplace'.

Since you're a writer or would like to be, consider writing and publishing books via the internet. Maybe e-books via Amazon and whatnot more.
Do this while also finding perhaps another/different job (online ).

Do you like making videos? If so, about what? Maybe you can start a web-series? Maybe you can also promote your writings like so as well.
Maybe making 'How To' videos, those are usually popular and helpful at the same time.

Usually a lot of jobs also offer work-at-home options, you miiight need to come in once a month or so, or you might have to go in for the job interview (I'd always suggest to show your face in real life rather than apply for a job solely online if possible).

Check if you can be an assistant for a company. Do you have any other language you're knowledgable of? Maybe you can be a (written) translator.
If you don't know coding (as Vortex pointed out) you can still test websites for people as well.
Since you speak English rather well, maybe you can offer yourself up to be an English tutor (online) or any other kind of tutor. Tutors are needed worldwide, all you really need more to do is make clear appointments with your 'students' :P

As for your secon question, I dunno ;-;
I am not well-known with US laws, regulations, etc. So I can't help you with that, I'm afraid. I suppose all I can do is to suggest if you call your government or ask at a hospital if anyone knows where you can find this information. Reach out to people in your near vicinity to ask about it.

• Signature art by: Mr. Razot
♦ The friendly fluffy furry art dragon ♦
-> PM me for any questions or if you just want to chat ^^ I love to help! <-

> > Ventus Fall's backstory and information. < <

Links to my art pages and more:

deviantArt - FurAffinity - YouTube - Twitch - Twitter

Offline Calun the Bat

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • But Nobody Came
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Spectacled Flying Fox
  • Coloring: dark brown main, sandy/gold secondary, assorted blues. Black/maroon eyes.
  • Height: 6' 00"
  • Weight: 185
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 05:03:41 AM »
Ahhh, okie dokie. Thanks guys. I can't really think of a way to extend and draw out a longer response for both of you, but in short, thanks a bunch for answering. Yeah, I get the feeling that until an actual move, I'm going to be looking at any of those online options unless something fortunate happens to open up close enough to warrant jumping on. Guess in the meantime I'll get cracking on that writing. :|

Oh, and Ventus, that's actually true! And (even though it's been years) I used to study French. So maybe I can look into relearning it (rather, studying again so that I'm fluent enough) and consider an English/French option! I hadn't thought of that for years. Thanks for bringing the English thing up!

And yeah, that part about State payment is weird. That'll probably take a lot of intricate looking into here.
"The world is what you make of it, sir! If it doesn't fit, you make alterations."