The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Fans of classical music?  (Read 3423 times)

Offline Espen

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
  • Hiya everyone! I'm Espen, or Espy for short!
    • Awards
  • Species: Lynx / Fennec Hybrid
  • Coloring: Light beige and lavender. Lavender, green, and light blue spots. Lavender hair and ear tips. Light green inside of ears.
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: 110lbs
  • Build: Slim and athletic
  • Currently: Dancing the night away
Fans of classical music?
« on: January 20, 2017, 08:57:48 PM »
Anyone else here into classical music?

I've been involved with orchestral groups since a very young age, so I've been surrounded by classical music for most of my life, and I'll gladly talk anyone's ear off if they let me!  XD  Hoping to find some others to talk with about it, whether just about favorite composers or getting really in depth about certain works or time periods (nerd alert).

And if you aren't into it or haven't listened to much yet, I'll still happily talk to you about it!

Cheers!

Offline Bricket

• Whalloping Walrus
  • awards Top 50 Poster Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Awards
Re: Fans of classical music?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 09:14:14 PM »
Classical music isn't something I specifically would search for, however if it plays on the radio I don't mind hearing it  ^_^

Offline Espen

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
  • Coloring: Light beige and lavender. Lavender, green, and light blue spots. Lavender hair and ear tips. Light green inside of ears.
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 09:25:37 PM »
I know a lot of people like that Bricket! Even though you don't specifically search for it, do you have any composers who's work you've heard that you enjoy?  ^_^

Offline Bricket

• Whalloping Walrus
  • awards Top 50 Poster Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 09:27:00 PM »
I think Wagner is a good one.
However I must admit that I still find it a sad thing that people think that classical music died in the 19th century whilst it's still being made today

Offline Espen

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 09:48:05 PM »
Wagner's operas are fanstastic! My personal favorite of his is probably Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg, which I was fortunate enough to perform the Overture to a few years back.

And yes it is very sad, especially with some fantastic composers out there right now doing more and more incredible things! Fazil Say is my favorite current composer, if you ever get the chance his second symphony is great!

Offline Bricket

• Whalloping Walrus
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 09:57:21 PM »
Wagner's operas are fanstastic! My personal favorite of his is probably Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg, which I was fortunate enough to perform the Overture to a few years back.
Oh wow  :)

Operas are not my thing, guess I'll be happy if I could go to a concert or a classical music guided play.

What I do love is the combination of classical music and modern music, I know that this is a far fetched example but you'll get what i mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sEk6M3bres

Offline Espen

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 10:07:41 PM »
Operas aren't my personal favorite either, but I definitely appreciate them. I only played the Overture to it, which was all instrumental and not nearly as long haha. (The full opera is a little over 4 hours, the Overture is about 10 minutes )  :P

And it's not too far fetched, I can definitely hear the strings about a minute and a half in or so and I like listening to soundtracks as well! Have you ever heard of a group called The Piano Guys? They're classically trained musicians but they incorporate a lot of modern music into it, doing covers and such. It's pretty cool!

Offline Bricket

• Whalloping Walrus
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 10:10:47 PM »
No, I've actually never heard about it (I can already feel some people screaming at me for not being enough cultured  :P )

Could you fancy sending me some links of their works?

Offline Espen

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 10:21:13 PM »
 Well there's always new things to learn about! You're just cultured in other ways that I'm probably not  :P 

Here's a few of them that you might like!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz4MzJTeL0c&index=8&list=PLh8zLZtezyRHcTfBprsHCibfCfIjRG4jc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09RUuTAM2H0&list=PLh8zLZtezyRHcTfBprsHCibfCfIjRG4jc&index=21

Offline Bricket

• Whalloping Walrus
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 10:40:33 PM »
The second isn't too bad at all.
I like it.

It's always interesting to see what you do with some proper instruments and what image they can pump into your head.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xBgHBi5mBM

Offline Espen

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 11:43:26 PM »
Cool! They have a lot of different things that're are fun to listen to every now and then!

I've never heard of this person before, but I like his composition style, it'd make good soundtrack music for a movie!

Offline Bricket

• Whalloping Walrus
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 11:51:35 PM »
Kevin MacLeod is great to listen to.
The "classical" music is pretty good

Offline Halei-Helai

• Handsome Horse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • A strange thing indeed.
    • Awards
  • Species: Lahaian
  • Coloring: White with black stripes
  • Weight: 125 lb
  • Build: Svelte
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2017, 12:23:07 AM »
Not a fan of classical as a whole (I blame my violin training for that), but I do enjoy some select compositions here and there.

I'm not sure if this counts 100% since it was composed in the 20th century, but Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings is an excellent piece that always gives me chills and prompts me to listen deeply.

I'm also a huge fan of Bach's Toccata & Fugue in D minor. It's one of those quintessential pieces that seems to be everywhere, but that hasn't dimmed my appreciation for it one bit.
Sorcerous sage and cataloger of curiosities
---------------
Feel free to PM me. I am always up for a conversation!

Offline Espen

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2017, 02:13:26 AM »
Halei-Helai, how long did you train on the violin?

I'd say Samuel Barber certainly counts, so many great composers are in the 20th century, and heck even today there's people composing amazing symphonies and such that aren't necessarily following all of the same styles and rules from the classical / romantic periods, but that's how music develops and changes over time. (I would go deep into the transition from Medieval to Baroque styles but I'm not about to put any of you through that)  XD

Barber has some amazing and hauntingly beautiful pieces. Have you ever listened to his Toccata Festiva, Op. 36? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vqksQm8gZs

Bach's Toccata is definitely everywhere, and a lot of people seem to just listen to the very beginning and write it off as one of those little snippets you hear in old vampire movies or something, but it's popular for a reason.

Sorry for such a long response haha  :3

Offline Teal

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Dark Grey
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 10:16:57 PM »
Don't really listen to classical music but I do have some favourite composers:
  • Vivaldi (four seasons specifically)
  • Chopin