The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Drawing Anthros?  (Read 1508 times)

Offline xCreepyMouse

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Rodent
Drawing Anthros?
« on: November 26, 2016, 03:16:05 AM »
I have trouble drawing. It never comes out the way I see it in my head. Or if I look at a reference picture, I can't get it down,  right looking on paper. I can't draw humans either. Any tips for drawing? I'm more in the beginner stage.  I've been doodling for years but not really sketching everyday. As I lose motivation or get extremely frustrated, because it looks ugly.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Offline Fable

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • Lil' Leo
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Leopard Gecko and Striped Hyena
  • Coloring: amethyst purple with black
  • Height: 12 inches long from nose to tail tip. Standing height about 9 inches
  • Build: slender and wiry
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: I'm back for a while
Re: Drawing Anthros?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 03:23:39 AM »
Something important to keep in mind when drawing is to remember that if your just beginning not to be to hard on yourself. don't look at other peoples are who have been drawing for years and compare your art to theirs.

Drawing takes a lot of practice and even though its frustrating you just have to keep trying. for me personally it was easier to start with a simplistic style (chibi's and cartoons) then work up more from there. also it normally helps me when i have multiple references to try and study as i draw.

Just stay positive and remember its always easy to be hard on your own art but as long as you are trying and practicing you'll do better with each try.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
-Edgar Allan Poe
My life flashed before my eyes! it was really boring...
-chicken run
Blood may be thicker than water but that just makes it easier to drown in.
-iLL WiLL PrEss

Offline John Red Beard

• Local Moderator
  • Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years Top 100 Topic Starter Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Lioren (Lion)
  • Coloring: Tan with auburn markings
  • Height: 6’ 4"quot
  • Weight: 225 lbs
  • Build: Tall, dad bod
  • Currently: Napping
Re: Drawing Anthros?
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 04:02:25 AM »
When you're drawing, try to break the thing your drawing down into simple shapes (circles, ovals, rectangles, wedges, etc.) and lightly sketch those first before you start working on details and subtleties. That will help you work out the proportions, overall shapes, and composition before getting too far into the drawing to fix any of that.

Also, it'll help teach you to see shapes and their relationships. My belief is that drawing is all about seeing. What goes on with pencils and pens and paper, that's secondary.

If you're working with pencil on paper, you do this light sketching by just drawing very lightly, barely touching the paper with the pencil. In digital media, you can do your sketching on a separate layer.

As to feeling like your drawings aren't looking like what you're seeing in your head, and getting frustrated with that, here is a good short video on being creative that'll be relevant to how you're feeling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ResTHKVxf4
Tsaenoa (sounds like "sigh Noah")   Daome (sounds like "dow may")