The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Depressing games  (Read 2638 times)

Offline Raymond Volkogonov

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
  • There will be something one day. I guess.
  • Species: Black wolf
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Most probably doing nothing good
Depressing games
« on: August 06, 2016, 01:26:33 PM »
Have you ever stumbled across the game, which, despite being nice and colorful somehow manages to drop your mood when you finish it (or pass a certain moment though the game)? To me it was "Little Inferno", " World of Goo" and "FNAF World". I wanted to include one more title, but I am afraid that will break the age restrictions. Games I listed are mot AAA class and some are even hated, but I want to ask you - have you stumbled across this type of games, did you get the same depressing feeling, and why do you think this happens?

Offline Ori

• Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 50 Topic Starter
  • "You can't see me" - John Cena
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Warm Grey, red, black
  • Height: 5ft 6 ish,
  • Weight: 140
  • Build: Skinny, Scrawny.
  • Currently: Working on college homework
Re: Depressing games
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 05:44:24 AM »
I only know games that are actually mean to be depressing XD
Persona 4, is actually kind of sad. Like compared to persona 3, it's an improvement in terms of how happy it is. [Your menu is Bright Yellow, you spend tons of time, goofing around with friends and stuff.]But the ending I think leaves you feeling pretty sad. After all you spent a year making friends in the country side and growing really close to them, and now you're forced to leave them. Also when you fight everyone's shadow it's kind of sad seeing how much people struggle on the inside. [persona 4 I guess is AAA, not sure.]
 Mother 2 is definitely one of those games that makes you feel a little sad when it ends. I mean sure you defeated the Scary as heck Giygas, saved the world e.t.c. but when everyone splits up at the end it's kind of depressing.
My name is Ori.

I am totally not trying to impersonate Edward Scissorhands. Who is that anyway?
Also I am humming this is Halloween.
Also John Cena Memes don't die. (John Cena theme blares in background)

Offline Dax Declan

• Headphone Guy
  • Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • Mr. Misty-Eyed
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Purple-bluish
  • Height: 6'1"
  • Build: Slim but toned
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 10:35:23 PM »
I agree with Ori on persona 3. That game messed me up. The bad ending to resident evil revelations 2 also killed me.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

I don't roleplay In any shape or form.

Offline [INACTIVE]

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 08:29:20 AM »
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. This game ruined me. The ending was heart breaking, and the whole game was just depressing as hell. If you've played and beat it then you know why. But if you haven't. Pick it up and experience on your own, it's worth it.

Offline Dax Declan

• Headphone Guy
  • Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • Mr. Misty-Eyed
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 08:20:51 PM »
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. This game ruined me. The ending was heart breaking, and the whole game was just depressing as hell. If you've played and beat it then you know why. But if you haven't. Pick it up and experience on your own, it's worth it.
I was about to include that in my list but I have like the very last bit to finish that I haven't gotten around to.

Offline Bricket

• Whalloping Walrus
  • awards Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 08:33:08 PM »
That Dragon, cancer is a pretty strong game too

Offline BennyJackdaw

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Meep!
    • Awards
  • Species: Giant Rat
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 02:20:55 AM »
Tales of Vesperia comes to mind. I hate how so many games in today's media is just typical "humans are the absolute good" type BS, but what I hate even more is a game that actually has non-human goodguys, and you HAVE TO KILL THEM! This happens several times in Tales of Vesperia. I'm at the point right before I have to fight Belius, and despite it's decent gameplay and bountiful diversions later in the game, the scene with Belius is one of several things that make me NOT want to play the game.

Another thing I hate about the game is how monsters are treated as these worthless creatures. As if they only exist to kill humans. I hate games that do this, that basically portray wildlife as nothing more than a demonic force that exists to kill humans.

Even worse than that? This game is one of the guh-zillion games out there that has a MISANTHROPIC VILLAIN. God, I am so sick of Misanthropic villains, I could scream. They're WAY overused, and they're honestly kind of offensive. They're used as a way to tell the player that all those horrible things we do as a species are minor, and that god forbid someone hate our species for good reasons. Anyone who sees the evils and crimes we've done MUST be evil.

I mean, it has good gameplay and all, but sometimes a depressing story like this ruins the gameplay. I know "Gameplay is most important," or supposedly. But sometimes gameplay doesn't even matter if you REALLY don't want to see what happens next. This game is kind of depressing for a different reason than conventional, as the depressing part is being reminded of all the media with humans are the absolute good type stories, goodguy non-humans you have to kill, and misanthropic villains.

That Dragon, cancer is a pretty strong game too

What game are you talking about?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 02:23:48 AM by BennyBunnycorn »

Offline Raymond Volkogonov

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
  • There will be something one day. I guess.
  • Species: Black wolf
  • Currently: Most probably doing nothing good
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2016, 07:19:29 AM »
I guess that in most cases the contrast is what you see. Like, good gameplay and cliche story. Like, VERY cliche, about good someone beating the hell out of bad someone. But this is not depressing to me, it is simply a disappointment.

I know one game - Undretale - it brought me into 3-day depression, and I finished it with drinking alcohol and eating pills to stop it. And the bad thing is - it was True Pacifist ending which brought me to it.

When you go Genocide - you a pretty much a killing machine, posessed by a demon. Game itself changes into being spooky, like... I dunno, Yume Nikki, with slow music, etc. And the ending don't bring you to depression, since... Well, you asked for it. So expectations = what you get.

Netural route - it depends on your actions too. Heavily depends. And due to the amount of options you get what you asked for. So expectations = what you get, again.

And True Pacifist... You work as hard as you can, you try again and again... And at the end, one of the most colorful and complex characters just... States you can not save him. And even since you get the best possible ending, it still is quite unfinished. It becomes worse when you understand, that that character was innoncent, and his state is the result of one bad person tricking him, and another not too bad person making experiments on him, and basically, he never deserved what he got.

Offline Bricket

• Whalloping Walrus
  • awards Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2016, 09:34:00 AM »
Benny, I'm talking about the game: "that dragon, cancer"

Offline SadDubwool

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online
  • Long time member guy, Never here.
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Lop Rabbit
  • Coloring: Dark brown fur with light brown splotches
  • Height: Height:5'7
  • Build: Average
  • Currently: We'll have ourselves a ball
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2016, 11:24:32 AM »
I agree with bricket on that dragon, cancer.

I've personally lost someone to cancer, and this game emotionally destroyed me, I never really cry at video games, and this is one of the first in a long time to make me do so.
Thoughts are like arrows: once released, they strike their mark, guard them well or one day you may be your own victim.

Offline BennyJackdaw

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Meep!
    • Awards
  • Species: Giant Rat
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2016, 11:40:09 AM »

I've personally lost someone to cancer, and this game emotionally destroyed me, I never really cry at video games, and this is one of the first in a long time to make me do so.

Yeah, I lost my grandma to cancer, too. These kind of games are even more sad when they've happened to you.

Offline SadDubwool

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online
  • Long time member guy, Never here.
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Lop Rabbit
  • Coloring: Dark brown fur with light brown splotches
  • Height: Height:5'7
  • Build: Average
  • Currently: We'll have ourselves a ball
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2016, 11:41:24 AM »
Yeah They do...
Thoughts are like arrows: once released, they strike their mark, guard them well or one day you may be your own victim.

Offline Dax Declan

• Headphone Guy
  • Noble Newt
  • Mr. Misty-Eyed
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2016, 06:55:10 PM »
A game that I played through recently that actually made me cry was life is strange.

Offline Ori

• Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 50 Topic Starter
  • "You can't see me" - John Cena
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Warm Grey, red, black
  • Height: 5ft 6 ish,
  • Build: Skinny, Scrawny.
  • Currently: Working on college homework
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2016, 07:06:38 PM »
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon hurts a bit (If you don't play the game after you beat it.) ;-;. Because you sacrifice yourself (And Grovyle kinda) to save the world and you kind of stop existing right before your friend's eyes. And it kind of hurts to watch him get all sad over the fact that you you're dissapearing.  (Of course afterwards Dialga revives you.)
In the Darkness you start feeling bad for the main character Jackie, who loses his girlfriend. And commits suicide only to find out, he can't die.
MGS 3 hurts, cause you kill your adopted mother/teacher. I probably didn't feel it as much because I started with MGS 3.
Mother 3, right off the bat your mother dies saving you and your brother. And every character has his or her own sad life in the game.
My name is Ori.

I am totally not trying to impersonate Edward Scissorhands. Who is that anyway?
Also I am humming this is Halloween.
Also John Cena Memes don't die. (John Cena theme blares in background)

Offline Bricket

• Whalloping Walrus
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2016, 07:08:13 PM »

Half my family is being whiped out by cancer atm, asbestos you know...
The game is so good because it can play it really personal, you can reflect it to your life.

I did not cry because of the game or experience but it really left a sour/wrang taste