The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: "Ununique" Fursuits And Fursonas.  (Read 1847 times)

guest22811

"Ununique" Fursuits And Fursonas.
« on: August 01, 2016, 11:24:45 AM »

This topic is a bit of a rant.

So this has been kinda making me upset/confused for the past few days lately. It suddenly struck me when I was browsing around on Google Images.
I'll get to the point. I'm extremely proud of my fursuit, but I find it kinda boring now.
I see it as a mistake made out of being too rushed and impatient.
I realised that my fursona isn't really me, and it's too simple and too similar to many other fursonas. I just don't seem to like it anymore.
"Just change your fursona!", You might say. The problem is, if I do, I would have to make changes to my fursuit too. I don't want to start a new fursuit either, because even though I have all the materials and time to do so, it's pretty ridiculous and I wouldn't know what to do with my current one. I can't stand chucking it out, as I tend to feel sorry for inanimate objects. I can't give it to a friend because none of my friends are furries. I feel really stuck.
In fact, I've been crying for the past few days because of this.

So yeah.

TLDR: I really want to change my fursona, but I don't want to make another fursuit because it would be ridiculous.

Any advice/suggestions?

Offline saph the sergal

• Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • a derpy sergal
    • Awards
  • Species: aussie sergal
  • Coloring: black and purple
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 50 kilograms
  • Build: in shape
  • Currently: hello darkness my old friend
Re: "Ununique" Fursuits And Fursonas.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 11:28:13 AM »
change at any time you like

the reason i say this you can

as for the fursuit i know a few people with 5 to 8 different ones they keep them all

yippie coyotie on twitter he has about 10 i think
on land line is a inanimate object under water it has a life of its own

i have a very dry sense of humor be careful around me :D

Offline Cheza

• Förseningschef
  • Global Moderator
  • Quizzical Quail
  • awards This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has donated to the forum. Top 10 Most Online This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Mostly harmless.
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Woof.
  • Coloring: Brown.
  • Height: 165 cm.
  • Weight: 50 kg.
  • Build: Average.
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Gnawing on all the table legs!
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 01:50:18 PM »
I've come across multiple fursonas that look more or less like mine, but I still feel like I manage to stand out from the crowd thanks to the small details mine has. Try to see if you could come up with some smaller things (some smaller markings, some accessory, etc) that could be changed/added and that wouldn't require you to completely start over with your suit.

But if you were to ask me, there's no shame in having a fursona that's got a simple design or that look similar to others (unless it was intentionally done to copy someone else species by species and color by color without their permission).
Trying too hard to be "unique" way too often lead to people trying too hard (sure, there are people who pulls it off just fine, but there's usually a fine line), which I personally find to seem rather desperate for attention. Sometimes it's the simple subtle differences that really does the trick.

And also, even in real life, there are unrelated people who look really really similar (People often asked me if one of my friends and I were siblings due to us looking really really similar), so at least to me it'd seem pretty unthinkable that in a world only inhabited by furries, each and everyone of them would be completely unique from the rest.
Might also be something worth considering.

Offline Nori

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: {Aiklar http://aiklarspecies.webs.com/} & {Eastern Dragon}
  • Coloring: {Black, light blue, purple, turquoise, red and dark blue} & {Purple, lavender, sea green & black}
  • Height: 5'3"
  • Weight: 115 lb
  • Build: Lean
  • Currently: Recuperating
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 05:50:27 PM »
A lot of people have fursuits that aren't their fursona! A lot of people buy premades, or they change theirs (my first fursuit was a silver flying fox, which was my fursona at the time. I thought about it and decided that I really wanted different colors and a few other bits and pieces that would look neat together, and came up with Nori).
Simple isn't always a bad thing, I mean your suit is fantastic and I'm sure everyone loves it! If you're just worried about your suit looking like someone else, or being too plain, its not a big deal!
If you change up your fursona and want to do something with your old one, selling it somewhere is an option! A lot of people prefer buying a premade suit before getting on of their fursona, its usually cheaper, and they just need to wait for shipping. So if you don't want to keep your old one, see if anyone would buy it! It's amazing quality and super cute!
I still have my bat fursuit, even though I've moved on from that character.

guest22811

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 05:41:55 AM »
Thanks everyone for all the support!
Coincidentally I had a dream about this last night lmao.

I think I'm gonna stick to my fursona for the meanwhile ^_^

Offline George

• The Cyan
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Top 50 Most Online
  • "Don't be square, be cube"
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Baja Blast
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: Almost 200 lbs
  • Build: A bit soft
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 05:59:25 PM »
I know this is an old topic, but as Cheza said animals just have a tendency to look similar to each other. You'll be recognizable by being you, not by having a bunch of random stripes  and patterns in various places.
Spoiler for Examples:

(maybe someone having a similar problem will see this)

Offline Seiden

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Cat
  • Coloring: black
  • Height: 167cm on anthro form
  • Weight: 50kg on anthro form
  • Build: Slim
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 05:00:36 PM »
If you really don't want this fursuit and fursona anymore, you can sell the whole. Resell the design, the art and the fursuit, so that you don't have to throw it out, and you'll know it will be loved and taking care by someone, rather than just gathering dust somewhere. So that you can make a fursuit you really like :)
I am French and I am not really good at English, therefore, I am really sorry for all of my mistakes !