The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Final Thoughts on Windows 10?  (Read 2165 times)

Offline The Past

• Archmage
  • Tackling Tiger
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Top 100 Poster
    • Awards
Final Thoughts on Windows 10?
« on: July 29, 2016, 10:07:39 PM »
Windows 10 has been out for a while and there's 7 hours until the free offer ends. Should I bother getting it?

I'm asking people who have a decent amount of experience with it and are actually knowledgeable with it, given I know a lot of people jumped on the "I HATE CHANGE AND IT SPIES ON ME" bandwagon, while at the same time there are a lot of shills blindly claiming it's the "best OS ever!"

Are the privacy features as bad as they say, and can they be changed? Does it run okay? Did you hate it at first but find it was good? Did you like it at first but find serious issues later? I need honest answers here!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 10:11:12 PM by Evnamishko »

Offline Nrein

• The Master of Speechcraft
  • Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Topic Starter
  • As the humans say, "The truth will out!"
    • Awards
  • Species: Dewott
  • Currently: Needing a Smoke, hardcore.
Re: Final Thoughts on Windows 10?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 11:11:53 PM »
I think it runs fantastically. I've had no major problems, and honestly the only minor problems I've had are ones I've experienced on other OS's before, particularly occurring very shortly after installation. Once you've run it through its paces, it's good to go.

I don't concern myself with privacy problems because, well, I don't think I'm that interesting enough to watch x3 And I was say it's probably the fastest OS yet. Anyone claiming they experienced any sort of "slow down", well it's probably their machine or something they don't have set up right. Granted no two Os installations are guaranteed to be the same but, I've installed 10 on 7 machines so far, including three desktops in my apartment and on my Surface 3.

Offline slim

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
  • ^^
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Black
  • Height: 65 kg
  • Weight: 1.70 cm
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 12:10:03 AM »
Windows 10 > Windows 7 > All windows versions

Get asap :P
  • Avatar by: Made by the one and only leslax <3
"The ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do."

Offline The Past

• Archmage
  • Tackling Tiger
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Top 100 Poster
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 02:43:52 AM »
My dad and I both installed Windows 10 and we haven't found any problems so far. I made an effort to disable any data collection stuff I can and will be looking into how to secure it more later, but for now I'm not too worried.

Offline saph the sergal

• Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • a derpy sergal
    • Awards
  • Species: aussie sergal
  • Coloring: black and purple
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 50 kilograms
  • Build: in shape
  • Currently: hello darkness my old friend
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 02:47:51 AM »
dont like it at all because most of the stuff is there to take data (keystrokes and everything) so not upgrading to it cant now since gotta pay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1kGMCfb2xw alot of info evna for disabling the stuff
on land line is a inanimate object under water it has a life of its own

i have a very dry sense of humor be careful around me :D

Offline The Past

• Archmage
  • Tackling Tiger
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 03:56:02 AM »
Holy crap! Thank you. It pisses me off that they're so scummy with this stuff. Even if their data collection is "no harm", it collects stuff they have no business tracking and takes up data for those with capped internet usage (thankfully I have unlimited). It's a shame too. I like the rest of the OS so far.

Offline saph the sergal

• Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • a derpy sergal
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 03:57:15 AM »
yea im not a fan of it at all and if anyone brings out the google argument

its not on the lvl of personal pc and keystrokes

Offline slim

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 5 years
  • ^^
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Black
  • Height: 65 kg
  • Weight: 1.70 cm
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 11:17:25 AM »
You guys should know even before (from xp and vista times) windows collect info from your pcs without warnings so why the big deal? Even on your smarthphone is the same way...
  • Avatar by: Made by the one and only leslax <3
"The ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do."

Offline saph the sergal

• Noble Newt
  • a derpy sergal
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 11:26:06 AM »
the error reporting ones is just that error reports

this is a whole new lvl

keystrokes
voice data
handwriting
searches

alot more privacy stuff then anyone thinks and this is sent all back unencrypted to their servers

heard of man in the middle attacks?

also i dont want them knowing everything i open to improve their services when its just sold off to others go read the eula you will see
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 11:30:19 AM by saph the sergal »

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 05:29:48 PM »
You guys are kinda overreacting honestly ... All of that has been done since the Windows XP times as form of telemetry. The most sensitive data it also gives you the option to disable the first run after updating .

The only true difference from what is already done in i.e. Windows 7 is that they now are more transparent about it and actually give you the options to disable it.

But perhaps you guys prefer when it's done without the slightest hint of knowledge? (AKA Google, Apple, Facebook, Windows xp/7/8 etc.)
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline saph the sergal

• Noble Newt
  • a derpy sergal
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 05:48:27 PM »
keystroke

you know what that is?
its everything you type on a keyboard

passwords, usernames, bank information, real name, address, phone number

Post Merge: July 30, 2016, 05:51:54 PM
also i got smart and packet sniffed all my net traffic and anything that went to microsoft servers was put on a ip block
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 05:51:54 PM by saph the sergal, Reason: Merged DoublePost »

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2016, 06:29:25 PM »
I'm well aware of what you mean. I'm just saying this is not exclusive to Windows 10.
If you go on Google you can find a history of every single thing you've searched for.

A guy was recently arrested because the NSA found out that someone used the same IP Address on Facebook as he did iTunes and thus was able to track him using that.
Basically he made a single itunes purchase and thus they knew exactly where he was located.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 06:31:39 PM by Timmy Fox »
Proud to be a furry!

Offline saph the sergal

• Noble Newt
  • a derpy sergal
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2016, 06:38:19 PM »
no crap i know how ip tracing works
i also know of what google does but again

this is the lvl of personal computer and its not just keystrokes its all non encrypted

thats why i refuse to move from windows 7 (and i also kept a eye on the updates to avoid to remove the telemetric data that they tried to push down

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2016, 06:50:15 PM »
That's quite close minded though...
If you really wanted to get away from this you wouldn't be using Windows in the first place.

Sure there's those controversial updates but do remember that this started already with Windows xp and there's still a lot of telemetry going on in Windows 7 directly out the box.

The only way to truly get away from it would be to compile your own version of Linux and never ever use the internet ever again. If you would even use a computer at all.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 06:53:15 PM by Timmy Fox »
Proud to be a furry!

Offline saph the sergal

• Noble Newt
  • a derpy sergal
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2016, 06:52:18 PM »
why bother since ive got the telemetrics ip looped remember the 127.0 trick  :P