The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Pathfinder Play By Post  (Read 1534 times)

Offline AJ Fawxe

• Dancing Dragon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Fynx (American Fox/Lynx)
  • Coloring: Blue and white
Pathfinder Play By Post
« on: May 20, 2016, 10:02:57 PM »
Greetings one and all! I am a long time player of both D&D 3.5 and Pathfinder and was wondering if anyone would be interested in doing a Pathfinder play by post. I have a few adventure paths we could use, including one where you get to play evil characters! Insert maniacal laughter here.

Anything that's Pathfinder Society (PFS) legal is automatically greenlit. Use the PFS point buy system for creating ability scores. All core races along with the animal themed races such as catfolk, grippli, kitsune, nagaji, ratfolk, strix, tengu, vanaras, and vishkanyas are good. If there is another race such as a beastfolk race from 3.5 that you'd like to use let me take a look at it and it should be fine.

This IS NOT a PFS game, but the PFS guidelines do help to restrict excessively powerful characters so for anything that isn't PFS legal, contact me and I'll let you know if it's good. 3rd Party material will be handled on a case by case basis. If you can fill out a character sheet online and send it to me that would be great, but so long as you can give me a copy of your stats for my own records that will be good.

Let me know if there's any Adventure Paths you'd be really interested in playing. If we can't find an adventure path that nobody has played I'll try to dig up an adventure path from a 3rd party or some such. I do have Rise of the Runelords and Kingmaker already available, the others are on my other tower waiting to be transferred over. If everyone is okay with it we can use downtime rules. If used, downtime will be mostly handled in PM.

A few notes:
I use the rule that if you have a spell like ability it counts as you being able to cast that spell and arcane spells of that level for the purposes of prerequisites. If the source of the spell like ability is divine it counts as casting divine spells of that level.
If you have access to some extra material, be ready for the enemies to have it as well.
I reserve the right to adjust encounters based on the overall power level of the party and adjust interactions based on how you interact with the world.
Any alternate racial traits that give you access to weapon finesse are okay.
None of the new alien/advanced tech is available
Gunslingers are the only class that have access to guns from level one. Guns and ammunition may be difficult to find in some situations, so be careful.
If you want to be a Summoner you must use the Unchained version as it is much better balanced.
I am including character traits. Each character starts with two, three if they take a drawback. You may also take  a Major Drawback for an extra starting feat

A few rules:
If your character begins to get very unbalanced (summoning things many levels above them, consistently one shotting tough opponents, etc) I may ask you to re-balance your character.
If you as a player cause too many problems (derailing the thread/plot, unwanted PvP, general dickery, etc) you will be warned and then banned if the problem continues.
Regardless of your character's "personality" if you use sleight of hand to steal from the other players or hide loot from the rest of the group, you will get punished and possibly banned.
I will make my rolls on my end to prevent meta-gaming. If you'd like to actively make a check for something say so in a post and I will make the check. You will never know the DC unless you pass a relevant knowledge check.
Certain checks such as Perception and Sense Motive when entering a room or preventing a surprise round for combat are automatic, though other checks, such as noticing suspicious behavior well before an ambush, you will have to ask for.
Personal homebrew material will probably not be accepted. You may ask, though.

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ This is the official Paizo SRD databasehttp://www.d20pfsrd.com/ This is the fan made site which has a slightly greater variety and has third party materialhttp://www.commonroomgames.com/PF_char_sheet-fillable_6_pgs.pdf Here is an extended character sheet. You probably won't use a page or two since it has spaces for every major set of class features and a spell listYou can download the PDF, fill it out, save a copy of the completed version and send it to me in a PM. Thanks for the interest!

I would love for this to really get some momentum. A few notes on posting: Once we have a post order please respect it. Give detailed posts and explain what your character is doing followed by the rules sides of things. If you can't post for any reason please let us know in the OOC.

Example: (A Catfolk Ranger is traveling through down a highway several miles outside of town. They encounter a stranger on the highway who begins asking the ranger questions. The ranger asks for a sense motive check on the stranger and beats his bluff, noticing that the person seems on edge)

Player: The ranger continues the conversation, trying not to let the stranger know that they suspect anything. "Ah yes, well met! I'm actually just heading up to the town a few miles up the road. It's been a long journey, but I hear this place is worth the travel." Moving slowly the feline reaches for the dagger strapped to his belt in case something goes wrong with this tense stranger. (My character makes a bluff to keep up the charade and a sleight of hand to secretly ready his dagger)

DM: The stranger seems to be more relaxed as the conversation continues. "Ah yes, it is very nice up there, but the journey is difficult." The stranger catches a glimpse of your dagger coming out and quickly pulls his own knife from inside his jacket, but is unable to launch his surprise attack as you caught his suspicious behavior quickly. (Your bluff check passed, but his perception beat your sleight of hand forcing him to act.)

(You are first up on initiative, what do you do?)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 06:01:49 PM by Alex Fawxe Jace »

Offline tangletail

• Melodious Mouse
    • Awards
  • Species: Lynx
  • Coloring: Grey and black
  • Height: 6' 9" dued to long animalistic like hind legs
  • Weight: 190
  • Build: leath and lanky
Re: Pathfinder Play By Post
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 03:51:34 AM »
How do you apply?
I can givz u Triforce? ♥
  ▲
▲ ▲

Offline Drakeyboy

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox/Raccon (hybrid)
  • Coloring: Red with white fur
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 145 lbs
  • Build: long arms and legs with a very slim build.
  • Currently: gaming, job huntig, and listenig to music. Like a Elite!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 03:27:28 PM »
I'm interested as well. But I do not have any pathfinder material. Can you give a link so I can easily find the material you are talking about?

Offline AJ Fawxe

• Dancing Dragon
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 05:20:50 PM »
http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ This is the official Paizo SRD database
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/ This is the fan made site which has a slightly greater variety and has third party material

http://www.commonroomgames.com/PF_char_sheet-fillable_6_pgs.pdf Here is an extended character sheet. You probably won't use a page or two since it has spaces for every major set of class features and a spell list

You can download the PDF, fill it out, save a copy of the completed version and send it to me in a PM. Thanks for the interest!

Offline Drakeyboy

• Foxy Fox
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 03:32:57 AM »
Thank you! I'll get it sorted out this weekend most likely.

Offline Drakeyboy

• Foxy Fox
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 01:08:15 PM »
Ok, so I didn't grow to sort it out this weekend so I'll need to chip away at it during the week.

Offline AJ Fawxe

• Dancing Dragon
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 05:49:09 PM »
No problem lol Tangle, you still interested?

ALSO! I'll be modifying the original post as well with this. You can take two character traits, or three if you take a drawback.

As per Rogue Genius games you may also take a Major Drawback to get an extra starting feat.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 05:54:30 PM by Alex Fawxe Jace »