The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Bird Callers/Chirpers: Need some help  (Read 1548 times)

Offline Pixx/Kalani

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • Chirpy Dutch and Floofy Husky Butt!
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Dutch Angel Dragon (Kalani); Pink Husky (Pixx)
  • Coloring: Lavender/Light Blue/Purple; Pink/Black/White
  • Height: 5'8"
  • Weight: 160
  • Currently: *snugs*
Bird Callers/Chirpers: Need some help
« on: May 06, 2016, 11:52:16 AM »
So I just ordered a swiss warbler bird caller off Amazon for my newest fursuit that's being made and I haven't a clue on where to start with usinig it. I bought a turkey call and turns out I hated the way it sounded. I've heard the warbler call and decided that its much cuter and works better for my fursonas character. Anyone have any experience using these in suit and what can you tell me about them.

Sorry if that seemed like one big run on sentence, its early and I"m between getting ready for work and typing this.

Thank you everyone!
2016 Upcoming Cons:

AC 
Big Furry BBQ
Motor City Comic Con
Youmacon
MFF

Attended:
MCFC (Pixx's gotcha con)
Penguicon
Midwest Media Expo

Offline Nori

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: {Aiklar http://aiklarspecies.webs.com/} & {Eastern Dragon}
  • Coloring: {Black, light blue, purple, turquoise, red and dark blue} & {Purple, lavender, sea green & black}
  • Height: 5'3"
  • Weight: 115 lb
  • Build: Lean
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Recuperating
Re: Bird Callers/Chirpers: Need some help
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 01:27:18 PM »
     I have an elk reed and it looks like they're pretty similar, so I'll give this a shot :)
     If you don't know, you use the reed kind of like how you say the letter 'ch' like cheddar. Your tongue goes to the roof of your mouth, leaving a teeny gap so the air can pass through. That's where you know to put it, and how to make it do the sounds without the air just going around another way.
     Do you know to move your mouth when making the calls to create different sounds? I also mix in some of my own noises, like a purr/growl thing when I'm using my reed to make a more gentle sound. The sounds are also a lot quieter in suit, which I was worried about, because the elk reed is LOUD!
     It also takes a lot of practice to even figure out -where-  to put the darn thing in your mouth XD I eventually figured out pushing the reed so it stayed on the top of my mouth and kind of curling my tongue under the latex made the best sounds. And if you can't make a sound with it, try flipping it over. The instructions on my elk reed were incorrect, saying the curved end should go with the curve of your teeth, but I couldn't make a noise. I switched it so the latex was towards the front, and it worked (I could be switched around, but I knnow the opposite of what the directions said worked.)
      If the instructions don't say so, putting the reed in the refrigerator -after-  it has dried helps protect the paper/latex from loosing its flexibility. Rinsing with cool water after you use it is a good idea, and some people let their reed soak in mouthwash, but don't leave it in there for too long.
     If you wanted to, I'll see if I can do a video about where I put mine and whatnot, but I'll be out of town for the weekend, so I might have to do it on Tuesday. :P