The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Basic fursuit necessities?  (Read 1860 times)

Offline Nutmeg

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • A squirrel with a sweet tooth.
    • Awards
  • Species: Squirrel
  • Coloring: Purple fur with a pink border and a light yellow underside. Light pink hair.
  • Height: 5'4
  • Weight: 60kg
  • Build: A little curvier than average
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Shop shop shop til you drop
Basic fursuit necessities?
« on: May 02, 2016, 08:11:36 AM »
I'm seriously considering commissioning a fullsuit this summer, but I know I'll also need a few bits and pieces to go with it. Are there any other things I'll need to get for it besides a brush and a spray bottle of disinfectant? Is underarmour worth getting?
^ That's right, a spice was named after this squirrel!!
^ Is the best squirrel and also the sweetest

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Top 10 Topic Starter
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fur dragon
  • Coloring: Greens, reds and grey
  • Height: Approx. 2,10m (6.9ft) -with ears-
  • Build: Slender
  • Currently: -Local senpai- Will maybe have ninjurai's in the future.
Re: Basic fursuit necessities?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 08:26:46 AM »
I mean, I assume with the spray bottle you mean to use as disinfectant?
Brush is a high must, for sure, so you got that one down xD

Under armour can become extremely expensive. I wear one fursuit with under armour, another without. While under armour is used to catch up your... sweat, I still find it more comfortable with he suit without under armour. I also make sure every now and again the fursuits are washed. They don't have to be washed every time they have been used, but make sure they do smell nice before going to a con or wherever :)

I would also highly suggest a small fursuit-medkit thing to carry with you at all times. Like a needle and thread should be just a few of the things. Just a small little box containing the bare necessities, should your fursuit need some quick-fixnig :)

• Signature art by: Mr. Razot
♦ The friendly fluffy furry art dragon ♦
-> PM me for any questions or if you just want to chat ^^ I love to help! <-

> > Ventus Fall's backstory and information. < <

Links to my art pages and more:

deviantArt - FurAffinity - YouTube - Twitch - Twitter

Offline Nori

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: {Aiklar http://aiklarspecies.webs.com/} & {Eastern Dragon}
  • Coloring: {Black, light blue, purple, turquoise, red and dark blue} & {Purple, lavender, sea green & black}
  • Height: 5'3"
  • Weight: 115 lb
  • Build: Lean
  • Currently: Recuperating
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 06:37:19 PM »
Not necessarily under armor, but sportswear/active wear work fine for me. The seams just bother me, so it helps, plus I can wash it easier than the suit. You can get a set for 5$ at Walmart :)
If you don't know what kind of brush to get, a lot of suit makers/suiters use a slicker brush. Just make sure you brush it with with the end that curves/bends over going along it, not against it. Most of them you'd push the brush down, with the top part going with the fur, not handle-down. Mostly because its made for de-shedding dogs and you don't want that for a fursuit :P
Like Ventus said, a fursuit med kit is wonderful :) And if you can afford it, a camel-bac or something that can hold water that has a long straw. super nice to have :)
I'd also, from personal preference recommend using shoes in your suit that are slip ons and fleece lined. I know crocs are really nice in that regard, and most makers can either get that shoe, of you can send it to them would make the feet around that. I made my bat suit with my old laced  shoes and its a pain to get on and off. :P
That's exciting though!!!

Offline Pixx/Kalani

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • Chirpy Dutch and Floofy Husky Butt!
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Dutch Angel Dragon (Kalani); Pink Husky (Pixx)
  • Coloring: Lavender/Light Blue/Purple; Pink/Black/White
  • Height: 5'8"
  • Weight: 160
  • Currently: *snugs*
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 11:46:01 AM »
Just started fursuiting this past month and I'm a partial suiter with everything darn near except the body suit.

Some necessities I have are a camel bac/hydration pack of some sort. IF you can't afford the actual real deal camel bac then Target has some really good hydration packs that start at around 25-30 bucks I believe. These are/were a lifesaver at the con when I wanted to continue suiting but needed to hydrate. The straw is long enough to wear it fits in the muzzle of my head easily so I'm able to drink without having to use a long straw or go to headless lounge. These are even better at cons where they aren't primarily furry (i.e. comic con, sci fi or anime conventions and the like). They work awesome!

I too invested in off brand under armor like clothing for my suiting as well. Even though I'm a partial suiter, I do wear the under armor underneath whatever pants and shirt I may be wearing during that time. I also have multiple sets so that I am wearing a fresh underarmor each day.

A BIG investment I saved up for and ordered for Anthrocon is an EZ cool vest. It has the ice/cold packs in the vest and you wear it underneath your fursuit in order to keep cool. They are pricey (mine was about 229 with shipping and handling) but from what I have heard they are worth the price.

For cleaning supplies, I have a spray bottle that is part rubbing alcohol and part water. Good for suit cleaning at the con when you can't readily deep clean parts of your suit. I also bought a bottle of Folex from bed bath and beyond. Its GREAT with getting out stains and cleaning the suit during or after a con when deep cleaning isn't needed right away. Also invested in a box of dryer sheets to keep my suit smelling fresh in its storage container until the next wear.

My character has music (she's a dancerfur like me IRL) so I got a bluetooth speaker that clips to my belt (bed bath and beyond for $20) and its super convenient. Not a necessity per say but a fun thing to have if that's your thing.

Lastly, I also invested in a balaclava for my fursuit head. Protects the inside of the head from the oils of skin and hair plus it does a good job keeping me cooled off. When I purchased my partial they gave me a balaclava with it. Some heads have them built in and some don't.

Hope this helped! I'll post when I have more.
2016 Upcoming Cons:

AC 
Big Furry BBQ
Motor City Comic Con
Youmacon
MFF

Attended:
MCFC (Pixx's gotcha con)
Penguicon
Midwest Media Expo