The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: I have no idea what I'm going to do with my life  (Read 810 times)

Offline 2haloes (Chi)

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Philippine mouse-deer
  • Coloring: Light brown with a black back
  • Height: 5~ft
  • Weight: 112~lb
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Relaxing alone, happy
I have no idea what I'm going to do with my life
« on: April 18, 2016, 10:18:07 AM »
Hi all,

I've been having some problems recently, mainly l am about to leave education in a few months and I have no clue on what to do with my life (apart from not go yo university because I KNOW that I would be horrible there). The main problem is that if I got a job/apprenticeship/ect.. I would need something that could keep me distracted constantly, I do have a small job (kitchen cleaner, 2 hours a day) and its not too bad but I tried it for 5 hours once and I couldn't do it again, it was a real mental struggle to just get though the day. I could easily see myself in tech support but I don't know if I could get though each day doing it, I would probably  just get extremely bored being forced to do something like that even though I do enjoy working on computers. I don't know if that made much sense but just ask if you need any clarifying on anything (I need to go in a minute anyway so I'll reply when I can)

Thank you for replying
<== Stats for fursona :P

Offline Ibi Tanvaal

• Probably the least fierce spider you'll ever meet
  • Xceptional Xenops
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Poster
  • Guess who's back?
    • Awards
  • Species: Silver Fox
  • Coloring: Grey, duh...
  • Height: 7'1"
  • Weight: 120 kg
  • Build: Toned
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Well, I'm kinda better, but also kinda not?
Re: I have no idea what I'm going to do with my life
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 04:40:01 AM »
I'd recommend finding something that varies a little each day, such as a cafe. There are some qualifications you need for it but there's still inconsistency with the amount of customers, what they order etc.
That's what I'm looking for at the moment.
I've returned, though I don't suspect I'll be terribly active. Hey, do you want a cookie?

Offline 2haloes (Chi)

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 05:22:34 AM »
Thank you for replying but I am nowhere near good at cooking/making food or even talking to people (I've gotten quieter as time's gone on) and I don't really know if there's a job for someone like me out there

Offline Ibi Tanvaal

• Xceptional Xenops
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Poster
  • Guess who's back?
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 08:59:37 AM »
I don't consider myself good at cooking either but if you stick a recipe and stuff in front of me I can make stuff reasonably well.
Plus, you don't have to be a pro chef to work in a cafe. You could be a barista, or make sandwiches etc
I've returned, though I don't suspect I'll be terribly active. Hey, do you want a cookie?

Offline Rocco Rex

• Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online
    • Awards
  • Species: German Shepherd
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 02:07:52 AM »
Another option is to join the military. Respects, honor, and benefits for the rest of your life. And being able to say you DID something, no matter how the rest of your life goes. I'm currently leaning towards joining ng the Army myself.

Offline 2haloes (Chi)

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 08:30:33 AM »
The problem still stands that I'm horrible at communication and that is basically required in both jobs suggested

Offline Ibi Tanvaal

• Xceptional Xenops
  • Guess who's back?
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 09:04:04 AM »
What's your problem with university? It's a reasonably good community and if you pick the right course, you'll have heaps of fun.

Offline 2haloes (Chi)

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 09:12:10 AM »
I'm barely getting though college and no matter how well I plan, I just don't get work done, it's just going to get worse

Offline Ibi Tanvaal

• Xceptional Xenops
  • Guess who's back?
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 09:22:17 AM »
Why don't you have a look at an apprenticeship?

Offline 2haloes (Chi)

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 10:22:12 AM »
I have been but nothing looks good near me

Offline Halei-Helai

• Handsome Horse
  • A strange thing indeed.
    • Awards
  • Species: Lahaian
  • Coloring: White with black stripes
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: 125 lb
  • Build: Svelte
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 12:49:35 PM »
I hope this doesn't come across as a bit brunt, but you do sound rather negative about your situation. I sure don't intend to minimize the angst that not knowing your life's direction must be causing, but I am hesitant to recommend things for fear that they will be shot down because of reason x, attitude y, or unpleasant factor z. This really sounds more like a case of looking actively for a solution than hoping one will arrive where you are.

Or, put another way, why can't you get work done at college? I know you mentioned that you can't despite how you plan, but what factors are behind that? Motivation? Health issues? Long commutes (I can empathize with that)? Do you perceive yourself genuinely lacking skills and the ability to communicate, or do you think that perhaps a depressed mood might be a factor here? The former can be helped with practice and learning, and the latter can be helped medically. There is no need to spend too long in the gloom. It sucks there!
Sorcerous sage and cataloger of curiosities
---------------
Feel free to PM me. I am always up for a conversation!

Offline Ibi Tanvaal

• Xceptional Xenops
  • Guess who's back?
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 01:39:10 PM »
... or do you think that perhaps a depressed mood might be a factor here? ... and the latter can be helped medically.

Willpower can defeat any mental problem. Generally, people (myself included) will accept having a mental illness because it excuses certain behaviours. I've come to terms with the fact that I could absolutely have depression. Though, given my circumstances, I could just as easily say that I am a victim of oppression. (I'll explain in PM if you want me to)

If you decide to accept a mental illness, then it explains why you exhibit certain traits. For me, I only exhibit the traits of depression some of the time - and it heavily depends on what's going on. I don't like the idea that I might have a mental illness but, deep down, I know that my brain has accepted it because it is now a chore to get out of bed in the morning.

To be honest, all you have to do is believe the opposite of what the mental illness might make you think - which seems difficult, but you don't need meds for it.

Back on topic - Negative thinking will yield negative results. If you choose to believe that you're not good enough for a job or that you'll hate tertiary education (which isn't entirely essential these days), then you will find it much harder to find something. I know this from experience. I'm currently unemployed and a university dropout. It's becoming harder and harder to come up with the motivation to find work. You don't want to be in my position. Trust me.

Look at something and see it for the good things it can get you - experience and money are two of the more important things. You can also make friends, which is really good. You might even find your personality changing for the better, you'll likely be happier and more confident.

Change the way you look at jobs and education, not for what problems might occur (because that will effectively mean you do nothing in life), but for the opportunities it presents.
That's what I'm trying to do.

Offline Halei-Helai

• Handsome Horse
  • A strange thing indeed.
    • Awards
  • Species: Lahaian
  • Coloring: White with black stripes
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: 125 lb
  • Build: Svelte
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 01:51:24 PM »
... or do you think that perhaps a depressed mood might be a factor here? ... and the latter can be helped medically.
To be honest, all you have to do is believe the opposite of what the mental illness might make you think - which seems difficult, but you don't need meds for it.

Indeed, though sometimes things can be so profound that in all actuality you do (not saying this is the OP). I think usually just talking it out can be extremely helpful, be it with a licensed professional or just with other people. Being here is a good start :)
Sorcerous sage and cataloger of curiosities
---------------
Feel free to PM me. I am always up for a conversation!

Offline Ibi Tanvaal

• Xceptional Xenops
  • Guess who's back?
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 03:31:53 PM »
Being here is a good start :)

TFF is my escape from life...