The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Need education advice  (Read 433 times)

Offline 2haloes (Chi)

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Philippine mouse-deer
  • Coloring: Light brown with a black back
  • Height: 5~ft
  • Weight: 112~lb
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Relaxing alone, happy
Need education advice
« on: February 29, 2016, 05:05:53 PM »
Hello all,

I've recently been extremely overwhelmed by the amount of coursework I've gotten at school/college (I'm in the UK so it might be different depending where you live), I phyically can't do it all, I've put nearly all of my free time (minus Saturdays so I don't go mad) into my computing coursework but it's still not near a passing grade and because my computing has had so much attention, I haven't gotten most of my graphic design work done, both are due in very soon and the big problem is, is that I really don't want to go to University, I don't want to do any of that, I know what I want to do and have plans for it but for now I'm stuck, if I don't do well enough in both of my courses (I am also doing Maths but that's less of a worry for coursework) then I'll probably just quit, I have to pay fees anyway so why should I bother getting qualifications that I'm never going to need or use?

I just don't know what to do  :(
<== Stats for fursona :P

Offline MrRazot

• Resident Nice-guy
  • Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • Marching onward on my Quest
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lanner Falcon
  • Coloring: Selection of Browns
  • Height: Aprx 180cm
  • Weight: Aprx 50kg
  • Currently: Well, it was a good run.
Re: Need education advice
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 05:19:25 PM »
On a global scale, a degree or a diploma can be all the difference in the world. However there are many jobs that don't require a higher education.

For example, I work in the food industry. You can rock up to any chef and ask him to teach you in exchange for you working for him for free and you'll eventually be a head chef one day.

In contrast though, I'm working on a chef degree because paperwork speaks.

Perhaps don't apply for university just yet and take a year off to find yourself.

Alternatively, perhaps you're approaching the subject matter wrong. Perhaps you're trying so hard to remember everything, you're not learning anything. Take a step back and run through the basics again. A few hours on a Saturday never killed anyone, and either way, working 6 days a week may be a reality for you one day anyway.
  • Signature art by: MrRazot

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 06:48:01 AM »
It all really depends on what you wanna do and what you have been doing.

A lot of the time you don't even really need a degree to be successful, GRANTED that you do have a portfolio of stuff you've been working on (IE: IF you have a degree that is enough to say you know what you're doing, if you don't you actually need to of worked on some projects, had some experience, and so forth to be recognized in the tech industry).

If you do want a degree an option is to do a part-time load and slowly build up to full time. It means you'll graduate maybe a year or two later but you'll have less course work at the one time, and it'll be less stressful
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline 2haloes (Chi)

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Philippine mouse-deer
  • Coloring: Light brown with a black back
  • Height: 5~ft
  • Weight: 112~lb
  • Currently: Relaxing alone, happy
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 07:18:02 PM »
Thank you both for replying, I should probably say a bit more on what I want to do. I want to work in IT/technology mainly in repair/tech support and I want to go to a apprenticeship (if you don't know, it's work that gets you qualifications and eventually degrees) and what what I've seen (and the worst week to do with computers I've ever had), I really don't think that the academic side of things is really helping me that much (Mainly because I think that the things I want to do are more practical than theoretical), on top of this, some of the places I've seen are perfect for people like me, for example, one of the requirements for one of the apprenticeships is that I needed to have built or repaired a computer (which I have a couple of times) and I really don't think that continuing the way that I'm going is going to help me at all
<== Stats for fursona :P