The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Woods river  (Read 1084 times)

Offline Tranzmute

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Dark gray with light gray face and stomach
  • Height: 6
  • Weight: 310
  • Build: Jacked
Woods river
« on: November 12, 2007, 09:10:58 PM »
Hey everyone Tranz here
I just finished the first chapter of my story.
Its still a rough cut but I figured I'd put it on here so you guys could read it.  
I have an RPG going for this if you like the story please join up at WoodsRiver RPG in the serious RPG section

One last thing before the story
please don't comment on the spelling or grammar.  I know its not the best this is only a rough copy and many things are going to change with it.  However if you have something better to say about it like thoughts on it or something I'm willing to listen.

Thanks and Enjoy

(I might put up a new chapter ever Monday if this gets good reviews)

Woods River

Chapter One
Into the woods

The winds whipped through the small mountain town of Wood’s River with unretalenting force.  The autumn foliage shook and fell of the trees coating the ground in a blanket of crisp dry leaves.  Fall had come back to Wood’s River and with it the warning of the harsh winter that would soon follow.  
It was November now and most people were cleaning up their houses from Halloween and gearing for Christmas.  Of course they decorated for Thanksgiving as well but Christmas and Halloween really over shadowed the holiday.  To some Thanksgiving was a time of giving thanks, to others it was a time of morning.  For Tomas Reilly it was a time of morning, and Christmas was no better and in some ways it was worse then Thanksgiving all together.  
Tomas Reilly exited the town and walked his way toward the surrounding forest.  He took his time taking the only road to and out of the town and took in some of the scenery of fall.  Even though he hated this time of year he still enjoyed fall and all of its beauty.  
Tomas Reilly was a handsome young man in his early twenties.  He had short brown hair and rich dark eyes.   His face was usually hidden underneath a thick beard ad scruff, which he rarely cleaned up.  
He was a built man standing strong but not very tall by no means.  In fact he was rather short for his built and most people thought he we was husky.  Be that as it may he still could out lift most of the men in the small town of wood’s river.
Tomas carried an older camera around his neck.  He enjoyed photography and had dreams of going out into the world to see things he only read and saw on TV.  However, he knew that like most of the other people in the town he was stuck.  He had a dead end job working for the only bar in town as a bouncer.  It didn’t pay much but it was a job and it wasn’t even a bad one persay.  Most of the people in the town were good men and woman and even when they got drunk they rarely fought.  When they did they were sure to make up for things the next day some how.  
Tomas also worked as a freelancer for the local paper taking photos for them.  Again the job didn’t pay well but Tomas loved the thrill of taking photo’s for the local paper.  He was really good at what he did too and was called on for most tougher shots.  The chief editor wanted to hire Tom but he had no funds to really hire him full time.  So alas Tom was forced to freelance when ever he got a call.  
   Tom wasn’t talking pictures for the paper today, however, he had it in him to get some nice photos of the woods fall beauty before the wicked winds knocked off all the leaves of the trees.  He’d probably get some winter shots as well later on when it snowed.  Toms did love the wood of Wood’s River.  He knew them better than any tracker or hunter could ever know.  Ever since he was a young boy he’d would go off and advenuter through the woods.  He’d find new parts and write it down.  However, even though he explored the woods he never explored them all and there was always something new to find.  It was probably the only thing he liked about the town.  
   As he walked down the road he stopped for a moment and took in some of the clean crisp air.  He let out a loud sigh and looked at some chipmunks getting ready for winter.  His face sparkled at the chance of getting such a great picture. He pulled out his camera slowly and set an F-stop setting and a good shutter speed.  He stood back and got a nice focus and smiled
“nice.” He said with a smile and went to push the shutter button.  In the distance came a low rumble that Tom wasn’t aware of. The chipmunks looked up toward the noise and twichted there noses trying to see if the nose meant danger.  Just as Tom went to push the shutter a fast car drove by and splashed him with mud and water.  The two chipmunks sprinted away into the woods and Tom grumbled.  He turned to see the car coming to a fast stop and he could hear some shouting on the inside.  
   Tom lowed his camera and got out his camera leash shamy and whipped the lense clean of some of the water and mud.
“Fuck. I hope this doesn’t ruin the lens.” Tom said. His attention was pulled by the sound of the car door opening and slamming shut.  Tom looked up to see a woman walking over to him.  She looked flimare to him some how.  
“Oh my god I’m so sorry.” The girl said as she stopped and the two made eye contact.
“Tom?” The woman said.
“Jill?” Tomas blinked and couldn’t believe his eyes.   It was his long time friend from school.  She looked different though, her hair used to be red and long and now it was short and blond. Her figure was still the same sporty body she had through out most of their school days.  
   The girl smiled and hugged Tom and he hugged back. “Its been so long Tom.” She said as she hugged him.
“Yea what has it been two years….You look different…..Why’d you dye your hair?” Tom asked as he touched some it.  
“Its kinda a long story.” Jill lowered her head.   The sports car pulled over and turned off.  The door opened to show a tall and built man.  He had brown hair and sharp blue eyes of a wolf.  He gave Tom and Jill a glare before making his way over to them.   His walk was argogant and cocky.  He hadn’t even said a word and Tom already knew he was a punk.  
“oh Tom I want you to meet my boy friend Ryan McDenish.” The Man held out his hand in a cocky manor.  
“Sup.” The man gassed and Tom shook his head and took his hand.
“Hi I’m Tomas Reilly its nice to meet you.” He said as he clenched the mans hand.  He held it hard squezzing it with all of his might causing the man to grunt a bit.  The punk looked at there hands and to Tomas.  He tried to match his strength but he couldn’t and quickly pulled his hand away and gave Tom a confused look.  The rubbed it and grunted a bit.
“Everything ok Ryan.” Tom asked with a grin.
“yea…that’s some handshake you got there.” Ryan grunted.
“Ah you have to mind me I’m just a mountain man we don’t know our own strength.” He said with a silly grin.  Jill looked at the two men confused.  ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“So what brings you back home Jill? I didn’t think you’d be home now.  Maybe at Christmas but not now.” Tom asked.  
“Oh well…I have some good news.” She blushed
“Good news?” Tom asked
“Yea we’re getting married” Ryan said in a kind of harsh tone.  
“Married???” Tom asked Jill.
“Yea.” She blushed again and bit her lip and looked at him.  She looked happy but her eyes said differently.  ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“Its good news right?” Jill asked Tom her eyes seemed to beg him to say no.
“Umm. I reckon it is.  I mean, it all comes down to how you feel.” Tom turned around.
“And she loves me. That’s how she feels?” Ryan said as he kissed her forehead.  Tomas sat back as a third party watching the two.  
“Y…yes.” She said softly.  She turned to Tom. “I came back to tell my Mom and Dad.” She said.   “I’m probably going to throw a party tonight too if you wanted to come?” She finished.
“Yea sure I’ll stop by I guess.” Tom said.  
“Well Tom it was good to see you again.” Jill said as she give him a big hug and rushed back to the car.  
   Tom let out a sigh as the car pulled away leaving him alone. “Story of my life.” Tom said as he picked up his gear and headed into the forest alone.  
   Tom tried to put the fact that Jill was getting married behind him and consintrate on taking some good shots of the forest, but it wasn’t working out as he planed.   He felt out of it and lost and his shots were coming out like a mess.  There was no feeling behind them he was just clicking away, thinking too much on Jill and that asshole Ryan.  
“Why would she even consider getting married to that asshole.” Tom yelled at the forest his voice echoing in the distance a little.  ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“I mean he’s totally not in love with her and doesn’t care about her.” He said as he lowered his camera down and punched a tree with all his might.  The tree shook and some of its leaves fell off and Tom grabbed his hand in pain and swar at his stupidity.  He rubbed his hand and looked at the tree and sighed.  He slumped down in front of it and grunted as he rubbed the back of his head.
“How could this have happened?  I thought she loved me?” He said as he shook his head.
   Tom reached into his coat pocket and pulled out a package of lucky strikes and light one up.   He drew in a big breath and expelled the smoke outward into the crisp autumn air.  The smoke danced around in the wind and vanished into nothingness as it blended with the normal air.   Tom took another drag and exhaled with a sigh.
“I guess it can’t be helped though.” He said as he blew it out.  ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“She’s going to get married and live in a nice house and have security.  I could never give her that stuff.  The best I could do was have her move into my house with me and she’d be stuck here as well.” He sighed and took another drag.  ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“I reckon its best not to think about it. Not like I can do anything about it.” Tom said as she stood up and tossed his cig away before he made sure it was put out.   He took a look at the beautiful fall sky as it faded from a rich crisp blue to a warm red.  It blended into the woods and the moutians around him and created a romantic type of atmosphere that clamed his soul.  In the distance some dark clouds were rolling in, however, Tomas never noticed them. They were far back and had really no chance of coming tilt later anyway.
   With a small sigh he grabbed his camera and looked around.  He found some nice autumn foliage and took some nice picks of the trees swaying in the wind and there leaves falling off dancing in the wind.  After he had taken a couple of shots he started to walk deeper into the forest.  
“Damn…. Its getting cold.” Tom said as a strong wind whipped at him.  The tempure was dropping faster than he realized and it was now getting into the low fourties. He buttoned up his jacket and pressed on.  He really wanted to get more shots before night fall so he could develop them during the night.  Besides he was used to the cold and some what enjoyed a nice cold day.  
   Tom kept venturing deeper into the woods further than he normally did.  He didn’t know if it was because of Jill or if he was just bored and wanted to find some new parts to the grand forest.
   As Tom took another shot of an autumn scene the sun’s light was drowned out by the dark clouds that seemed so very far away before.   He looked up at the sky and shook his head.
“oh man I hope it doesn’t rain” He said as he advanced his roll, changed his F stop setting and shutter speed.  He went to walk deeper into the woods and took a look at the sky that seemed to look like a possible storm.  He shivered as the tempure went down even more and looked at his watch.
“20 more mintues that should be enough for me to get out of here and head back before a storm comes.” He said.  
   Tom walked deeper into the woods. It seemed to get thicker and denser as he walked deeper into the woods.  Tom even considered going back but the inner child in him forced him to walk deeper and deeper in.  Picker bushes gashed his hands and legs through his jeans.  He grunted in pain and thrashed his way through them.  At one point he fell and got stuck in the tangled web of picker vines.  
“I should head back.” He grunted in pain as he tried to get up but fell back down.  He went to try again and noticed some thing odd about the forest in front of him.  It seemed as though there was a clearing up ahead.  It interested him, he had never seen that clearing before and wondered what was there.  A house belonging to some woodland hermit, a pond perhaps, he didn’t know.  
He reached into his pocket and pulled out a small blade and cut the vines around him and stood up.  He looked down at his hands that were bleeding and whipped them on some dried leaves.  He used more skill and quickness and hoped over the pickers around him and fell out off the woods onto his face.
“Uff.” He grunted and quickly stood up and checked his camera to find that it was un harmed. He sighed in relief at the thought of his camera being ok.   He looked around and gasped in wonderment at the beauty that sat in front of him.  
“Wow.” He said as he looked.  It was a large clearing with a clear view of one of the monutinas.  It seemed as though if one kept on the same path they could reach it in a short while.  In the center of the clearing was a pond that was icing over due to the dramatic temputer change.  The pond its self was beautiful, in the center of it was a small island with a couple of trees.  
   Tom raised his camera and took some shots but stopped. He blinked and looked into his camera only to lower it and look around normally.  Small white specks fell from the heavens.
“Snow?” Tom said as he held out his hand letting a snow flake land into his hand.  It melted quickly as Tom put his hand back down and watched as the snow began to fall more and more.  
   Tom stood and watched the snow fall.  He half smiled at it, even though he had always loved snow it just seemed as though that it some how lost its muster since the death of his mother.  She had always  loved the snow so much and in fact she got Tom to like it as well.  Only now when he saw it he could only think of the sad times he spent with his mother in those last few months.  He grunted in sadness trying to keep the tears away and took some pictures of the pond and the beautiful landscape around him.  His camera ran out of film and he lowered it.  
“Time to head back” he sighed as he took one last look at the snow.   He turned to walk away when again something caught his eye.  He turned around to see a small white rabbit sniffing around.  Tom blinked he never saw a white rabbit in this area of the woods before.   White snow rabbits were found more toward the bases of the mountains not so much this far away.  In the area they were in the white rabbit was prey till it snowed.  Tom grinned and loaded his camera again as fast as he could with out making to much nose to scare the rabbit.  He loaded it up and slowly closed the back so it would not make a loud click like it normally did.
   Tom slowly raised the camera up and took a picture of the rabbit.  It stood up right and looked at Tom and either of them moved. Tom felt a chill as the rabbit looked him over.  As Tom looked into the view finder he pulled it away.   It seemed as though the rabbit was blushing.  Its face was red and turned its face away from him shyly.
“Umm.” Tom said as he kept looking back at the camera and to the rabbit.   He took out his shamy and cleaned his lens to find that it was still blushing hard.
“A…are you blushing?” Tom said and quickly shook his head at how stupid he must have looked talking to a wild animal.   However, to his wonderment he saw the rabbit nod shyly.
“YOU CAN UNDER STAND ME???” Tom gasped as he slowly walked over to the rabbit.  The cute rabbit lowered its head some more and bounced a little bit away from Tom.
“Am I dreaming.” Tom said as he got down to the rabbits level and looked closer to see it was still blushing.  
“why are you blushing?” Tom asked.  The rabbit turned around and hid its face.
“Hey don’t be shy…your very speacial you can understand humans.” Tom said.  He reached out to pet the bunny and it jerked away and rushed toward the woods
“Hey wait I just want to pet you.  I’m not going to hurt you.”
   Tomas got up and rushed after the rabbit.  It lead him deeper into the woods than he wanted to go.  He rushed after it with out a thought and found himself in a small clearing.  He looked around and realized that he was lost.  
“Damn it that was dump. I can just read the headlines.  Man found dead after a five day search after he ran after a rabbit and got lost.” Tom grunted and looked around.  ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“How was that rabbit able to understand me?” Tom said.
   Tom took a step and put his foot down to here a series of cracking.  Before he knew what was going on he feel through the hole to a river underneath.  He gasped as the ice cold water chilled him to the bone.  He tried to get out of the water but the current was to strong.  His muscels tensed up and became useless as he struggled to get out of the water.  The ripping tide carried him and he hit his head up against a rock hard and knocked out.  

Check out my story in the story section on this site
WOODS RIVER
also please join in on the RPG too in the serious RPG section.
Thanks