The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Anyone interested in doing art for a game?  (Read 843 times)

Offline JuiceBox

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • Probably develops games
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Green, White
  • Height: 5' 4"
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Worried about posting that last topic
Anyone interested in doing art for a game?
« on: January 23, 2016, 12:16:30 AM »
Okay, first, let's get this question out of the way. I took the liberty of drawing a comic to express this one. (Don't judge it, I didn't feel like opening GIMP to draw something  :P  )

(If you do commissions, keep reading)

Alright, with that said...

Hello there! Thanks for actually reading this far and not closing the tab, that wouldn't have been fun. I mean, it would've been totally mean of you! But you aren't a mean person, not at all. Let's see, let's see, what should I get out there first.. I guess I should talk about this game you may or may not work on.

My team, known as Team Abysmal (what a great name) has a new project in the planning stages of development! We're currently working on a little game called Journey of Coins, and it's nearly done! That isn't too important though, what's important is our next game! That one actually concerns you. Now then, this little game will be a type of RPG, but will play a bit like Nuclear Throne, possibly. If you want, you can read the game design document (GDD) here! It goes a lot more in-depth, but if you don't want to read it I can summarize the basic idea here.

Summary time!

Alright, imagine a small RPG (maybe an hour or so long) but without the traditional battle systems seen in most RPGs. Nah, just imagine having the stats, items, and story. There you go! Now combine that with a top down shooter - where you aim with the mouse and left click to shoot. Sounds neat, right? Well, hopefully it does, because that's the basic idea. There's not too much in the way of a story, but we have one basic idea: The player is cursed with an undying spell. There's a lot we can do with it, such as having boss fights you died to say things like: "Hey wait, didn't I just kill you?" Fun stuff like that. If you want a better idea of how the game might play, here's an idea sheet written by the game's writer.

What kind of art will I be doing?

Right now we're planning on using pixel art, since that's something most of the people on the team have experience with. Say, if you're not too good at doing tilesets or something like that, we could cover you. But hey, if you want to do something else - and you can animate it - then you can! As long as you want to do a whole lot of art  :P  (well, maybe not a whole lot, we'll see)

Hey wait, I live off of commissions, why would I ever do this?

Good question! Why would you do this? There's a few possible reasons I can think of, like getting a hands on experience of game development, or just getting recognition, but that's not the question. The question is: How will you make money? I know some people, well, a lot of people in the fandom tend to make a lot off of commissions. How could you possibly balance that and this at the same time? Simple, keep on taking commissions and just help us out in your spare time! I mean, we can easily work with developer art while you're off making that green.

Conclusion

Game development isn't an easy or glorious process - remember that. It's something my team and I do out of passion. If you're only in this to make money, then you're probably best off taking commissions. And hey, if you do join, and we do work on this, there's no guarantee that the project will be finished, things happen during the development process. If you think you're up to this, then go ahead and either PM/Email me, or leave a reply. Thanks for listening to me ramble for so long.  ^_^

Woah, Twitter! Want to work with me on a game? PM/Email me =) Oh right, avatar by my pal voxeledphoton