The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Star Wars: Episode VII - Good or bad?  (Read 5679 times)

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Poster
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
Star Wars: Episode VII - Good or bad?
« on: January 04, 2016, 02:36:01 AM »
I liked it but some people have some compelling points on why it is bad. I will just state this for anyone reading this thread

SPOILERS MAY BE CONTAINED IN THIS THREAD, IF YOU READ THIS THREAD YOU READ IT AT YOUR OWN RISK

Cool, now no one has to worry about hiding spoilers.

So, do you think it was good or do you think it was too samey?
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline White Wolf Guardian

• Wolgon Hat
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Received through special limited time events This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Top 10 Poster This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I'm a wolgon!
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf Dragon (Wolgon)
  • Coloring: White and Blue
  • Height: 10' long or 7' tall
  • Weight: 400lbs or 250lbs
  • Build: Thin
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Healed up
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - Good or bad?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 02:54:10 AM »
Most of the movie survived on nostalgia and tried to make one new female jedi character that instantly spoke droid, alien languages, knew more about components than most people, and could instantly hold her own in a lightsaber fight and win without being scarred or maimed. Totally believable compared to other movies. 4/10 for nostalgia, thats it.
  • Signature art by: FluffyGorer

Offline Oanta

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Dark Gray and Red
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 200
  • Build: Average Muscled build
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 03:47:27 AM »
I agree with Wyte.  Between "Disney" and "Star Wars" it brought in lots of people that might not have otherwise gone to see it.  I know that I liked it more than some movies that I have seen but I don't think I will rush out to the stores to buy it once it comes out.  I am interested to see where it goes from there but I'm not sure how much further it will go. 

On the other hand, the Clone Wars animated series seems to be doing well (though I haven't seen it) so it may get better as they find their own Star Wars voice without trying to pay homage to the previous films.  I felt that this is what this movie really was as opposed to a new film, it felt like they were sort of passing the torch on and paying homage to the old films.  I feel like I'm rambling now so... I'm done.  :D

Offline MrRazot

• Resident Nice-guy
  • Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 100 Poster Top 10 Topic Starter
  • Marching onward on my Quest
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lanner Falcon
  • Coloring: Selection of Browns
  • Height: Aprx 180cm
  • Weight: Aprx 50kg
  • Currently: Well, it was a good run.
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 05:11:19 AM »
Well it definitely is a Star Wars movie.

I rate 8/10 because though it does have short comings, it also has some seriously awesome and badass moments alongside taking the story in a direction I don't think anyone considered.
Extra points for the trailers both giving more information than you think and completely misleading you at the same time.

Criticisms are that the film felt very cramped as though it was shot in a very small space, despite the wide open practical sets used.
Also going against Wyte - asides from her force powers coming out of nowhere which I agree it a bit bullshit, everyone in every star wars movie seems to speak droid and alien languages and she's a scavenger so I'd expect her to know a bit about an old ship.

Also the lightsaber stuff is awesome. Confirmed Kylo Ren's lightsaber is overcompensating for his fighting/force skill as he just about gets nailed by a wookie and a stormtrooper having an identity crisis. I don't really have a problem with him getting seriously owned by a total n00b Jedi.

All in all, good movie despite the slightly recycled plot, but I think that was just to bring people in to a fresh start and build up a new audience.

Offline Ben

• Lovable Lion
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online
  • So much has changed
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Different hues of grey
  • Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 213 lbs
  • Build: Average
  • Currently: Thinking too much.
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 05:13:25 AM »
I saw it about a week after it came out so I could ask around what people thought of it. Overall everyone I asked said it was a fantastic movie. I went and saw it, and after I wasn't satisfied with it at all. I honestly think all the hype behind the film was its downfall in a way. I also felt like it borrowed too much from the original trilogy. One more thing Kylo Ren or whatever, they needed to make his face look more tattered and angry, I don't think he did the role justice.

Just my opinions though.
  • Signature art by: N/A

Offline Wolxikin

• Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • (⚆ ͜ʖ ⚆)
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolx
  • Coloring: Blue/white
  • Height: 5 foot something
  • Weight: Don't be so judgemental!
  • Build: Average, anthro
  • Currently: well then
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 05:20:11 AM »
Coming from a person who like the prequels and has jar-jar as his favorite character, I don't think you'd trust my opinion anyway

2/10 needed more jar-jar
Is it a wolf? Is it a fox? No, it's Wolx!

Tell a man there are 300,000,000 stars in the universe, he'll believe you. Tell a man the benches paint is wet, he'd have to touch it to be sure

[img width

Offline MrRazot

• Resident Nice-guy
  • Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 100 Poster Top 10 Topic Starter
  • Marching onward on my Quest
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lanner Falcon
  • Coloring: Selection of Browns
  • Height: Aprx 180cm
  • Weight: Aprx 50kg
  • Currently: Well, it was a good run.
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 12:21:47 PM »
Just defending Kylo "Ben" Ren's face without the mask: I think it was perfect.

The casting for Kylo Ren's character was spot on. You could see that he is related to Anakin with a similar facial structure and hair style. The fact his face looks so clean is also a creative decision as every other with we've seen has looked very messed up facially. Kylo Ren's face is more pure and perhaps a reflection of the light still struggling within him? As for his personality, he looks young and when he took off the mask, his face didn't suit him which is why he wears the mask in the first place. To build up his badguy persona.

This movie is too clever to just throw things down at face value.

Offline Eden-H

• Boisterous Bear
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Android
  • Coloring: White, black
  • Currently: Uplifted
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 01:36:34 PM »
Ah, I just completed writing a journal entry about this on deviantART.

In essence, I think the movie had far too many shortcomings to be remotely redeemable and the vast majority of the plot was painfully forced. Numerous points made absolutely no sense given the information we were provided with and the dialogue had me cringing more than once; let alone the disaster of a plot. On the upside there were some moments that were mildly amusing and I will give that Kylo Ren was the first to ever use the dark side of the force in accordance with its tenets (at least obviously), but everything else lacked subtlety and relied far too much on the music to 'give us feelz'. In fact, there were a number of moments where it actually drowned out the actors.

I have quite a bit to say about this movie, the vast majority of it not remotely close to positive, but I will leave that to my (cripplingly sarcastic) journal. Hnngh.
  • Signature art by: GhostPaladin

Offline Rob_Silvermyst

• Foxy Fox
  • King of Furgasta
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Furiffic Profile
    • Awards
  • Species: Archangel Wolf
  • Coloring: Silver/White (fur), White (Wings), Gold (Eyes)
  • Height: 6ft
  • Weight: 200 lbs
  • Build: Tone
  • Currently: Tea with a fascinating stranger is one of life's true delights.
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 02:58:44 PM »
I wrote my feelings on this in the 'Last movie you saw' thread. You can read my review of it HERE.
Overall, I really liked it. It was a return to form and a promise of good things to come. Best one ever? No, that stays with Empire Strikes Back for me. But it certainly comes in a close second place.

Offline Buna

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • mreh
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Cat dood
  • Coloring: blue eyes, white/grey/black fur
  • Height: 5'10"
  • Weight: 142lbs
  • Build: muscles n stuff
  • Currently: investing in fake internet money
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 06:33:33 PM »
I give it a 10/10. I'm a huge star wars fan and I walked into the theater with low expectations because I didn't know what to expect. I'm pretty happy with the final product because I know that no one had to make the film. Also, I know it's pretty similar to A New Hope in many ways but so was The Phantom Menace. The only things I didn't like about the movie is how Captain Phasma wasn't used much, and that Kylo Ren is kindof a shit character, but I'm sure he'll have more character development in the future
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Poster
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 07:59:10 AM »
I thought that there were a lot of cool scenes that I enjoyed quite a bit. Particularly the humor, which was very well done and welcomed.

I liked Kylo Ren as a character actually, cause he's not the "super bad evil guy" that all siths have been so far, he's not more powerful, he's flawed. His force powers are remarkable, some of the best force powers we've seen in the series of movies, he was able to stop a blaster bullet without any sort of effort, he is able to force interrogate people with so much more ease than anyone else and he seems to have a lot of control on the stasis ability as well. For once he felt like a character that used the force for truly dangerous means, where fighting him without knowing the force seemed sort of pointless, cause he was simply that powerful.

Though he's shit at lightsaber battles apparently. He's flawed, he's emotional, he's basically a teenager and that's good, it's like, he's a character that can change and the question is, will he transition to the dark side and complete his character ark as the true evil badass, or will he go to the light? Honestly, I'm not totally sure which way he'll go.
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline kalan

• The immortal half blood
  • Velvety Vole
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 50 Most Online Top 100 Poster Top 100 Topic Starter
    • Awards
  • Species: Welf
  • Coloring: Blue and silver with a small light blue crescent scar under his left eyes from a magic attack
  • Height: 6' 2"
  • Weight: 189 lbs
  • Build: Tall and muscular with the strength and speed of an elf
  • Currently: Slowly coming back
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 03:16:28 PM »
Coming from a person who like the prequels and has jar-jar as his favorite character, I don't think you'd trust my opinion anyway

2/10 needed more jar-jar

Im gonna second this, I honestly dont know why everybody hates jar jar so much

But the force awakens was too much of a carbon copy of a new hope. I watched it with a friend opening night and afterwards as we were walking out he said boy if you've seen a new hope youve seen the force awakens.

They stole details right down to flying down a trench to blow up the, yes, death star. When are they gonna stop making that things so easy to destroy. That created a lot of predictably.  I kew what was coming for most of the movie, I even knew han was gonna die almost right after he showed up. It took memsome time to realize it was gonna be ren that killed him

And why is there stil a resistance. The emporer is dead the republic is the governing body and the first order is an invading force. Why isnt the replubic fighting this thing. Are we ignoring that vader threw the emporer into that thing. Or are we going with the plot line of it doesnt really matter. Vader sacrificied himself inna moment of honesty and it was for nothing. The rebels one the battle not the war

Sorry rant over
^Is my bust fren

Spoiler for Hidden:
That made me feel so good. Oh my gosh. Thank you man and same to you  [hugs tight]

I'm the same without Makias and Kalan!
both are loved and fun to be around

"Atleast your stomach will stop your tears from hitting the ground" ~Tim (138)

Offline Vine Tabris

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • [hisses]
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Demon
  • Currently: visiting graveyards
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 07:04:42 PM »
i've never really been into star wars and never saw the original movies as a kid, but i very much enjoyed this one.
i think people tend to be too critical of these sorts of things because of nostalgia. as someone who's spent a lot of time in comic shops, a common trend for hardcore fans of something is a dislike for companies to make things more accessible to a new audience because they feel it excludes the people who have been obsessing over it for years, but i feel this movie tried really hard to balance things between pleasing a new audience and giving the older fans what they want.

Offline Trixsie Vixen

• Vixen Goddess
  • Global Moderator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Received through special limited time events This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • *Giggles*
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Sherwood Fox
  • Coloring: Like a fire in a blizzard
  • Height: 165 cm
  • Weight: 80 kg
  • Build: Curvy
  • Currently: She flies now!?
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2016, 06:43:54 PM »
I really loved this film.  I am a big fan of the original trilogy and I really enjoyed lots about the prequels despite their flaws.  So it was a safe bet I was going to enjoy it one way or another.  But I would have to say I was pleasantly surprised.

I find that I almost can't explain what I liked about it so much without contrasting it to the prequels though. So I'm just gonna own that XD

Yes, it was nostalgic seeing X-wings and TIE fighters again, but I would have still been cool with new designs.  Same with the Death Star III, er I mean Starkiller base.  It used stuff from the OT, but it used them right.  Which is to say it didn't use elements illogically.  So Kylo Ren has a mask and ominous black robes etc (like Vader) but it makes sense to dress up to intimidate since he has such a baby face, unlike Vader needing a mask to survive.  Compare that with the jedi robes and youngling training helmets and remotes in the PT.  Ben Kenobi wore desert robes, they were just his clothes.  To retcon all the jedi as wearing them makes no sense and is just taking something from the OT and using it illogically.  Likewise when Luke has his training on the way to Alderaan, the remote and the helmet with blast shield were just improvised tools, as cute as those younglings were ,it was stupid to have them be the "standard way of things".  So yes it kept lots of classic elements but in a way made sense and, after all,

I thought the plot was fine, it might have left me curious about some unexplained things but it did flow from beat to beat.  It didn't have any obvious holes to me (well one but more of an unexplained thing, see below).  It had coincidences sure (Han Solo just happens to be in the neighbourhood when the Falcon takes to the skies?  Yeah, right!) but that is convenience, not contradiction.  Compare the fastest way from Gunga city to Theed is through the planet core at the start of the TPM but at the end the Gungans are just nearby.  Same for character motivations, did Finn seem to defect conveniently quickly, yes, but it still made sense.  Compare Padme's motivation for secrecy "I'm a senator"  WTF?  Yes jedi were forbidden to love (Oh except Ki-adi-mundi) but that's not what she says repeatedly.  The biggest flaw for me (picking up on Sunder's point) is that there needed more explanation of the relationship between the New Order the Republic and the Resistance.  It was touched on in Hux's speech about the Republic secretly supporting the Resistance, but just one line of dialogue would have cleared it up.  That really bugs me because the plot DOES hang on that whole issue.

As for the plot just being New Hope again, it really isn't the classic heroes quest with archetypal figures so much as equal parts beats from New Hope and Empire strung into a new plot.  Not a complex one but certainly not the same one as New Hope.

Did Rey seem to master the force quickly?  Yes.  Though she arguably had been using it all her life and was already using it to fight, pilot and perform feats of agility. Exactly like Luke who learned to block laser fire by being told "the Force exists" and "reach out with your feelings".  And basically once he needed to summon his lightsaber in the Wampa's lair he could if he just relaxed.  So if anything, for me it is only out of place compared with the prequels notion of years and years of formal education being necessary to learn to use the Force.  A mark against them rather than TFA.

OK, what did it do so right that blew my socks off?  The  characters were likable and the dialogue was snappy.  That was basically the magic of the originals for me.  It had characters with characters traits!  They did stuff and said stuff that made me laugh. Things that I believed!  The relationship between Finn and Poe has more real friendship in a few scenes than Ob-wan and Anakin in three films.  And the affection between Rey and Finn was light but had real chemistry, compared with the Ani/Padme totally forced, chemistry-free relationship which was mostly just him being creepy and her saying "but I'm a senator"  UGH!

That's the guts of it for me, the characters.  BB8 has more character than all the prequels combined and the dialogue happens organically during the action. Not action scene then exposition while character walk down a hall or sit in a circle then action the exposition etc etc. 

So yes, plenty of images rehashed (Finn in gunnery cockpit just for one of hundreds) and I can see where that would just bother people.  And if episodes 1-3 didn't exist it would probably bug me too, but I think I'm like a lot of old fans and that stuff was like a bacta tank for the wounds suffered at the hands of George Lucas because his ego was too massive to admit he needed the sort of help he had for ep 4.

Offline Booplesnoot

• Eager Elephant
  • Changing my yesterday is to wish my life away.
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Satin Rabbit
  • Coloring: Brown and White
  • Height: Six Foot Two
  • Weight: 200 Lbs
  • Build: Stocky, not fat, but not fit either.
  • Currently: On the great road called life.
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2016, 04:07:17 AM »
I've seen plenty of different reactions, but I'll keep mine brief. I liked it a lot. It wasn't perfect, and the reuse of previous plots I interpreted as a director trying to ease himself into something new while trying to do it justice, and I feel like he did. I hope to see more improvement as the series progresses.