The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Feels like the media completely shuts us out.  (Read 1523 times)

Offline George

• The Cyan
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum.
  • "Don't be square, be cube"
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Baja Blast
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: Almost 200 lbs
  • Build: A bit soft
Re: Feels like the media completely shuts us out.
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2015, 08:36:47 PM »
I don't see why this should be the sole deciding factor that decent anthro games have no business being made.

Because rage is not fun to deal with. Devs deal with enough as is, if they get it for making characters look a certain way, that audience is not going to be worth trying to satisfy.

My point is if the way something looks doesn't satisfy your preferences, don't insult people for it. Maybe even make your own stuff, if you can.

My problem is that that is not the entire furry fandom. One person shouldn't determine whether the whole entire group gets a game or not. That, and can you really say that a game with an anthro character is going to be THAT big of a deal for most non-furries? I'm sure more people than not would still play it. And for those that won't, they don't have to. Is it really a good thing that furries have to suffer through what feels like the same games over and over, year after year with maybe two or three (if you've been good) interesting titles breaking up the monotony?

I was being sarcastic with my first comment. While I certainly am keeping the same plan for it, it certainly is discouraging to see your comments on the matter. I'm sure many others would feel the same.

Offline BennyJackdaw

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Meep!
    • Awards
  • Species: Giant Rat
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2015, 08:43:18 PM »
I don't see why this should be the sole deciding factor that decent anthro games have no business being made.

Because rage is not fun to deal with. Devs deal with enough as is, if they get it for making characters look a certain way, that audience is not going to be worth trying to satisfy.

My point is if the way something looks doesn't satisfy your preferences, don't insult people for it. Maybe even make your own stuff, if you can.

My problem is that that is not the entire furry fandom. One person shouldn't determine whether the whole entire group gets a game or not. That, and can you really say that a game with an anthro character is going to be THAT big of a deal for most non-furries? I'm sure more people than not would still play it. And for those that won't, they don't have to. Is it really a good thing that furries have to suffer through what feels like the same games over and over, year after year with maybe two or three (if you've been good) interesting titles breaking up the monotony?

I was being sarcastic with my first comment. While I certainly am keeping the same plan for it, it certainly is discouraging to see your comments on the matter. I'm sure many others would feel the same.

Well how would you rather I act?

Offline George

• The Cyan
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum.
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2015, 08:44:18 PM »

Not insulting, basically. Give ideas on what you do want to see, not get angry and bash what you don't.

Offline BennyJackdaw

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Meep!
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2015, 08:53:32 PM »

Not insulting, basically. Give ideas on what you do want to see, not get angry and bash what you don't.

Fair enough. It's not so much I was trying to be insulting, it's just kind of a frustrating topic for me, so most of my post was more or less frustration than trying to offend people.

Offline MrRazot

• Resident Nice-guy
  • Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • Marching onward on my Quest
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lanner Falcon
  • Coloring: Selection of Browns
  • Height: Aprx 180cm
  • Weight: Aprx 50kg
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Well, it was a good run.
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2015, 10:39:58 PM »
Now I do personally feel like I'm the resident forum video game expert and I'm not really picking up your angle with this.

I do agree that there aren't many anthro/furry/non-human characters in video games, but that's not something to take offence over.
You getting upset over the Smash Bros DLC makes me a bit sad, because they're awesome characters from awesome games and Nintendo choosing to release them in response to what the majority of fans (Including myself) would like to see and including a few surprises that just surprised everyone (CLOUD STRIFE!!!!). All in all, They're not going to release more pokemon characters because of poken tournament and there already being an impressive roster and Banjo is never happening because of Microsoft owning him.

Animal crossing characters would be amazing though and I can get behind that. Even Wolf would be a welcome return, but there's no reason to abandon a game because of new characters all being "human". I can't actually come up with a good comparison because of how much the reason throws me off.

A reason I can think of why there aren't many anthro/furry/non-human characters in modern media is for the same reason there aren't many 2D cartoons any more - It's seen as childish (not that I agree with this - anthro/non-human/whatever characters can be seriously badass).
I also think there isn't much of an appeal for such characters outside of the fandom and children, because it's easier to relate with and invest yourself into a human character. You look at them and think "Woah, I'm human too! I can bee as cool as that guy!" or at least I'm sure how the masses see this.

I'm also not sure how by default a character that is human is automatically "lol humens are the best" in the cases of the new smash bros DLC characters because of their franchises (Side note: My favourite is the Duck Hunt Duo). Arguably, half the smash roster is already non-human.

Rounding off though, while it obviously is a problem for you, I just can't imagine anyone else having the problem. New characters of any kind is a new way to play and brings in it's own enjoyment. I recommend looking for what is enjoyable instead of what won't be and you'll have way more fun. All else fails, check out gamingfurever.com for a database of furry games.
  • Signature art by: MrRazot

Offline BennyJackdaw

• Eager Elephant
  • Meep!
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2015, 11:56:16 PM »
Now I do personally feel like I'm the resident forum video game expert and I'm not really picking up your angle with this.

I do agree that there aren't many anthro/furry/non-human characters in video games, but that's not something to take offence over.
You getting upset over the Smash Bros DLC makes me a bit sad, because they're awesome characters from awesome games and Nintendo choosing to release them in response to what the majority of fans (Including myself) would like to see and including a few surprises that just surprised everyone (CLOUD STRIFE!!!!). All in all, They're not going to release more pokemon characters because of poken tournament and there already being an impressive roster and Banjo is never happening because of Microsoft owning him.

Animal crossing characters would be amazing though and I can get behind that. Even Wolf would be a welcome return, but there's no reason to abandon a game because of new characters all being "human". I can't actually come up with a good comparison because of how much the reason throws me off.

A reason I can think of why there aren't many anthro/furry/non-human characters in modern media is for the same reason there aren't many 2D cartoons any more - It's seen as childish (not that I agree with this - anthro/non-human/whatever characters can be seriously badass).
I also think there isn't much of an appeal for such characters outside of the fandom and children, because it's easier to relate with and invest yourself into a human character. You look at them and think "Woah, I'm human too! I can bee as cool as that guy!" or at least I'm sure how the masses see this.

I'm also not sure how by default a character that is human is automatically "lol humens are the best" in the cases of the new smash bros DLC characters because of their franchises (Side note: My favourite is the Duck Hunt Duo). Arguably, half the smash roster is already non-human.

Rounding off though, while it obviously is a problem for you, I just can't imagine anyone else having the problem. New characters of any kind is a new way to play and brings in it's own enjoyment. I recommend looking for what is enjoyable instead of what won't be and you'll have way more fun. All else fails, check out gamingfurever.com for a database of furry games.

My problem is the three new characters are, honestly, pretty much the same character. Corrin is yet another character from an over-represented franchise, two of them are sword-wielders, and Bayonetta is from an M-rated game. Couldn't they have at least given us one more non-human? Or at the very least a cartoony human? And even if you don't think I should be offended, nothing is going to make me spend ten 18 or so bucks on characters I strongly dislike. Not just because they're human, but because they're typical "Mature" humans, two of which are from "hoomans are absolute gud" games.

I never play as Villager, ever. The franchise has hundreds of animals, and the only playable is the one human. And frankly, I was already bored of this game, and was counting on at least one of the characters being interesting. Instead, and I'm sorry, but I still feel kind of insulted that we get three "edgy" humans. If they bring back Wolf as a surprise, I might go back, but otherwise I have no interest in playing the game any further. To reiterate, I was already bored of the game. The new characters just make me want to play it less. Yes, I know they're optional, but the fact they exist in the game at all... I'm sorry if I sound offensive, but this is my honest opinion. I can't help but feel angry about it. Even with explanations, I still feel angry about it.

If there was a way to make people realize that anthro characters aren't childish. I'm dying to see more anthro games. And I'm sorry, but every time I see a human character, I usually think either "whatever" or "ugh, another one of THESE kind of characters." Usually the later with typical demon/zombie/alien hunter cliche humans in games usually devoid of originality or personality. Anthro characters are different, unique and interesting, and that's why I like them.

"hoomans are absolute gud" games means ONLY humans can be good. Everything else, no matter how innocuous, be it bunnies or squirrels, are evil. The only "non-human" goodguys allowed are elves, dwarves, robots with human faces and anatomy, and basically ANYTHING that looks almost exactly like a human. But once a character stops looking anything like a human, they can no longer be good. You can put wings, cat ears, and tails on a human, but they're still a human.

Actually, a lot of furries have the same problem. I'm not the only one, and I'm sure there are others on this forum that do kind of feel the same way. I mean come on, even YOU have to admit you would buy a really good game if it had anthros as the main character. Plus, how many games on that site are any good. I've been really looking forward to games like Yooka-Laylee and Clive and Wrench, but sometimes it feels like anthro games are cursed to suck, so I wouldn't be surprised if these games end up sucking.

I know it feels like I'm too negative, but deep down I can't help but feel negative. I'm probably a bad person because of it.  :'(

Offline BennyJackdaw

• Eager Elephant
  • Meep!
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2015, 01:38:37 PM »
Quote from: BennyBunnycorn
"hoomans are absolute gud" games means ONLY humans can be good. Everything else, no matter how innocuous, be it bunnies or squirrels, are evil. The only "non-human" goodguys allowed are elves, dwarves, robots with human faces and anatomy, and basically ANYTHING that looks almost exactly like a human. But once a character stops looking anything like a human, they can no longer be good. You can put wings, cat ears, and tails on a human, but they're still a human.
My compliments to SEGA with Sonic. Basically in Sonic games it's the other way around.
Quote from: BennyBunnycorn
If there was a way to make people realize that anthro characters aren't childish. I'm dying to see more anthro games.
Makes me think of 'Dust - An Elysian Tail'. Ever heard of it? If not, I suggest you should go and look it up.

Deep down, I actually kind of like when it's the other way around. :)

And yes, I've heard of it. I have yet to play it, but I've heard nothing but good things from just about everyone except the "furries" at FurAffinityForums.

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Poster
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2015, 06:12:30 AM »
There are a lot of games with anthro characters who aren't antagonists in it

Dust, Overgrowth, Bethesda games, Ratchet and Clank, Jack And Dexter, Sly cooper, Concur, Banjo Kazooie, Yoshi, Sonic, Star fox, Crash Bandicoot, Animal Crossing;  the list goes on.

Not all games are going to have anthros as the good guys, not all games are gonna have anthro characters at all. The point is there is a lot of games that do have anthro characters, so I don't think this is so bad.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 06:17:31 AM by anoni »
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline BennyJackdaw

• Eager Elephant
  • Meep!
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2015, 10:56:44 PM »

Dust, Overgrowth, Bethesda games, Ratchet and Clank, Jack And Dexter, Sly cooper, Concur, Banjo Kazooie, Yoshi, Sonic, Star fox, Crash Bandicoot, Animal Crossing;  the list goes on.

Not all games are going to have anthros as the good guys, not all games are gonna have anthro characters at all. The point is there is a lot of games that do have anthro characters, so I don't think this is so bad.

How many regularly, though. We're lucky if we get three or four good anthro games a year. Most of the time we only get one, sometimes even none.

Again, if there was more, I'd be fine. Unfortunately, most anthro games suck and, again, the ones that don't usually only get made once or twice a year.

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Poster
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2015, 03:56:17 AM »

How many regularly, though. We're lucky if we get three or four good anthro games a year. Most of the time we only get one, sometimes even none.

Again, if there was more, I'd be fine. Unfortunately, most anthro games suck and, again, the ones that don't usually only get made once or twice a year.

We get pretty regular Rachet and Clank games, even a moving coming out soon, Concur came back recently, A new Banjo Kazooie spiritual successor is in the works thanks to kickstarter, new Star fox is coming out soon, there's always a new yoshi/super mario game coming out, there was a new animal crossing game out recently. Undertale has a some positive anthro characters like Toriel. Sonic boom, though not good, did come out as well recently.

Some anthro games suck that's not the fault of the industry, that's the fault of the developer. You can't blame the video game industry for shutting anthro characters out if they release anthro games that just turn out to be bad...
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 03:59:28 AM by anoni »
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline BennyJackdaw

• Eager Elephant
  • Meep!
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2015, 04:17:27 PM »

We get pretty regular Rachet and Clank games, even a moving coming out soon, Concur came back recently, A new Banjo Kazooie spiritual successor is in the works thanks to kickstarter, new Star fox is coming out soon, there's always a new yoshi/super mario game coming out, there was a new animal crossing game out recently. Undertale has a some positive anthro characters like Toriel. Sonic boom, though not good, did come out as well recently.

Some anthro games suck that's not the fault of the industry, that's the fault of the developer. You can't blame the video game industry for shutting anthro characters out if they release anthro games that just turn out to be bad...

Sonic Boom WiiU just about no one is going to argue over (although the VGC surprisingly gave it a passing grade), but I've heard some good about Sonic Boom 3DS.

Sometimes I feel like there IS bias. A lot of reviews rate some pretty good anthro games pretty low while basically every time a "Hoomans r absuhlut gud" game comes out, regardless of how awful the gameplay is, it almost always gets perfect scores or close.

Offline George

• The Cyan
  • Prancing Pony
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2015, 04:58:45 PM »

Sonic Boom WiiU just about no one is going to argue over (although the VGC surprisingly gave it a passing grade), but I've heard some good about Sonic Boom 3DS.

Sometimes I feel like there IS bias. A lot of reviews rate some pretty good anthro games pretty low while basically every time a "Hoomans r absuhlut gud" game comes out, regardless of how awful the gameplay is, it almost always gets perfect scores or close.

I beg to differ. It seems to me that games with cartoony Funny Animal characters get a free pass to some points, possibly because they remind reviewers of the cartoons they watched.

Offline Cecilia Peromi

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Poster Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Squeak!
    • Discord
    • Awards
  • Species: Mouse
  • Coloring: Purple and white
  • Height: 5 foot 4
  • Weight: 170 lbs
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2015, 06:21:19 PM »
Has anyone here seen the show Pecola?
Oh woof

Offline BennyJackdaw

• Eager Elephant
  • Meep!
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2015, 11:50:57 PM »
Concur came back recently

Wait, he did? When did this happen? Also, I think it's Conker, not Concur.

I beg to differ. It seems to me that games with cartoony Funny Animal characters get a free pass to some points, possibly because they remind reviewers of the cartoons they watched.

It's basically the opposite everywhere I've gone.

Has anyone here seen the show Pecola?

Nope. Never heard of it.