The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Fursuit tips for a newcomer?  (Read 909 times)

Offline FinnegansWake

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • Auribus Teneo Lupum
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf/Great Pyrenees (hybrid) Mythical-type background
  • Coloring: Dark colors mixed with lights
  • Height: Large, dire-wolf size
  • Weight: I'm made of stardust, so you would be surprised about my weight
  • Build: Skinny, but built
  • Currently: Having a sick day from school :(
Fursuit tips for a newcomer?
« on: December 09, 2015, 09:18:56 PM »
Greetings community! As a minor and teenager who would like to start saving money in order to create/order a fursuit in the future, I was wondering if any of you guys are teens too who have fursuits, and what your parents think of it? If its more common for adults to have fursuits than members of the community who are still under 18? I hope that isn't an inappropriate question to ask.
Also, for those of you who have a fursuit, did you make it yourself or did you order one? Any tips about making one would also be appreciated. Thanks  ^_^

(stating your specific age definitely isn't necessary so please don't if you do not want to  ^_^ .)

Post Merge: December 09, 2015, 09:25:33 PM
I tend to see a lot of fursuiters in their early twenties, is this an accurate representation of the ages of the people who fursuit?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 09:25:33 PM by FinnegansWake, Reason: Merged DoublePost »
Finnegan in the sky with burning balls of plassss-ma
~ Promoting intelligence and togetherness within the fandom ~
+Are you a furry who is also involved with the society of Mensa? Contact me!+

Offline Cheza

• Förseningschef
  • Global Moderator
  • Quizzical Quail
  • awards This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 10 Most Online This user has donated to the forum. This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Mostly harmless.
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Woof.
  • Coloring: Brown.
  • Height: 165 cm.
  • Weight: 50 kg.
  • Build: Average.
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Gnawing on all the table legs!
Re: Fursuit tips for a newcomer?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 09:34:04 PM »
The most important thing is ofc to make sure you're done growing (if you're after a fullsuit). The last thing you'd want to do is outgrow a suit you spent a lot of money buying/making.

I'm 20 and have had suits for 2 years now, my parents know about them, but since they know nothing about the actual fandom they just assume it's one of my "weird hobbies" and think nothing more of it.

And yeah, I'd guess it's more common for "older" furries to have suits. Probably because of the costs.

I bought my suits, but I've also written a few calculations about what kind of costs to expect if you want to try making one yourself (this is for a guy asking about a deer costume, so some things are ofc irrelevant, but most of it should still be correct enough):
http://www.thefurryforum.com/forums/index.php?topic=28082.msg1439895#msg1439895

Hopefully this helped a little at least ^^'

Offline FinnegansWake

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • Auribus Teneo Lupum
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf/Great Pyrenees (hybrid) Mythical-type background
  • Coloring: Dark colors mixed with lights
  • Height: Large, dire-wolf size
  • Weight: I'm made of stardust, so you would be surprised about my weight
  • Build: Skinny, but built
  • Currently: Having a sick day from school :(
Re: Fursuit tips for a newcomer?
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 09:39:35 PM »
The most important thing is ofc to make sure you're done growing (if you're after a fullsuit). The last thing you'd want to do is outgrow a suit you spent a lot of money buying/making.

I'm 20 and have had suits for 2 years now, my parents know about them, but since they know nothing about the actual fandom they just assume it's one of my "weird hobbies" and think nothing more of it.

And yeah, I'd guess it's more common for "older" furries to have suits. Probably because of the costs.

I bought my suits, but I've also written a few calculations about what kind of costs to expect if you want to try making one yourself (this is for a guy asking about a deer costume, so some things are ofc irrelevant, but most of it should still be correct enough):
http://www.thefurryforum.com/forums/index.php?topic=28082.msg1439895#msg1439895

Hopefully this helped a little at least ^^'

Thanks for the feedback!  :D  I'll definitely check out the calculations you made so I can get a better idea of the costs. I didn't even consider growing out of the suit, so thanks for mentioning that as now I can consider that risk.
Finnegan in the sky with burning balls of plassss-ma
~ Promoting intelligence and togetherness within the fandom ~
+Are you a furry who is also involved with the society of Mensa? Contact me!+