The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Concerning Post Counts  (Read 8506 times)

Offline The Past

• Archmage
  • Tackling Tiger
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 10 Most Online
    • Awards
Re: Concerning Post Counts
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2015, 10:23:10 PM »
It's basically a case of "why we can't have nice things."

Offline Wolxikin

• Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • (⚆ ͜ʖ ⚆)
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolx
  • Coloring: Blue/white
  • Height: 5 foot something
  • Weight: Don't be so judgemental!
  • Build: Average, anthro
  • Currently: well then
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2015, 10:30:38 PM »
I was kinda mad when it happened but I don't really care anymore XP
Is it a wolf? Is it a fox? No, it's Wolx!

Tell a man there are 300,000,000 stars in the universe, he'll believe you. Tell a man the benches paint is wet, he'd have to touch it to be sure

[img width

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2015, 10:36:04 PM »
I don't mind them myself. I kinda like looking at other peoples' post counts. I like to see it not as a measure of who's "better" but rather a measure of general activity.

Yeah, same, but with the drama they've caused recently, it seems like not everyone's mature enough for that. :(
In all my years here I must say I've seen very little drama caused by post counts. I do remember the ooooold karma system we used to have which did cause a bit of legitimate trouble.

And again, I agree that a post count isn't really a massively important thing, but it's still considered a standard feature of many forums and generally just something I find to be a "nice to have". Not for competition regarding who can post the most but rather for your own personal enjoyment, like, "Oh wow, I've got over 3200 posts here!" - and then that's a number I've acquired throughout my years of contributing to the forum rather than being an overly active member that just kept posting for the sake of increasing a number.

What I'm saying is, I don't think too much about the post counts but it would perhaps be a bit of a shame to remove that since it's such a basic feature for any forum to have. Rather - try and discourage competition and inflation of one's post count. There's already a rule that prohibits spamming and discussions that go overly off topic which could be attributed to posts where the sole purpose is to inflate your post count and also several high-traffic boards where your posts do not contribute to your overall post count.

And really, whilst a post count is the feature that's in the center of this issue - the users making it a problem is the ones actually causing the issue. Thus I think you should keep looking over the troublemakers and make it clear that such behavior shouldn't be encouraged on this forum, referencing the aforementioned no-spam rule as well as the no-drama rule as opposed to resorting to removing something as basic as a post count.

---
Also, just for curiosity; Which thread is it that was moved? I haven't stayed too up to date with some of the newer threads floating around lately.
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline Wolxikin

• Gregarious Gnu
  • (⚆ ͜ʖ ⚆)
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2015, 10:39:45 PM »
It was the shy furry's den

And I agree with Timmy, I just liked it to see my level of posts and go "Wow I got to 100!"

Tell a man there are 300,000,000 stars in the universe, he'll believe you. Tell a man the benches paint is wet, he'd have to touch it to be sure

[img width

Offline Tweak

• Technical Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards Received through special limited time events This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug
  • Rawr and such like.
    • Discord
    • Awards
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Black, gold and purple
  • Height: Varies
  • Weight: Varies
  • Build: Dragon-y
  • Currently: Bleh.
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2015, 01:08:34 AM »
It's nice to see a mature conversation going on here, I applaud you all.

Too often, a potential change has upset people and they've gone crazy. It's good to see some valid points from both sides of the fence.

I was kinda mad when it happened but I don't really care anymore XP

Tends to be the way, the sudden change I can understand would be a little upsetting, but really...we didn't remove any toes!

Offline Wolxikin

• Gregarious Gnu
  • (⚆ ͜ʖ ⚆)
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2015, 01:18:56 AM »
It's nice to see a mature conversation going on here, I applaud you all.

Wait were being mature?

twek i an hate u111!1!11111!1!!!

Much better XD

[img width

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2015, 11:49:55 AM »
Was a proud day when I reached my 1,000 post, to make it memorable I made like a song, that featured I think 26 members or something.

Here it is! http://www.thefurryforum.com/forums/index.php?topic=20265.msg903530#msg903530

Without post counts that wouldn't happen, it's just nice to see whether you've reached a certain post-count and to have the cool alliterations next to your name xD
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Trixsie Vixen

• Vixen Goddess
  • Global Moderator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Received through special limited time events Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • *Giggles*
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Sherwood Fox
  • Coloring: Like a fire in a blizzard
  • Height: 165 cm
  • Weight: 80 kg
  • Build: Curvy
  • Currently: She flies now!?
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2015, 07:39:27 PM »
Wow... looks like a thing happened and I missed it.  Sounds like a good thing I did!

I admit I liked become a different creature at different intervals.  I take pride in my post count but only in the context that I feel I don't spam post and so it is measuring a contribution.

Another thing I rather like about them is that when older members return after a break it provides a clue.  Similarly when members change their fursona it also gives a heads up.

I haven't been here as long as, say Timmy, but like him I've never seen it cause drama before.

*insert quote about one bad apple spoiling it for the bunch*

Offline G-Root Liska

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
  • Species: Siberian Husky
  • Coloring: Blue and White Husky with Cobalt Blue Headfur with green highlights
  • Height: 5 feet 7 inches
  • Weight: 140
  • Build: Average
  • Currently: Physically Drained
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2015, 03:48:39 AM »
I personally could really care less. Not trying to sound mean about it but I don't think a post count reflects much. To me its just a number and yes it does show how much time someone does spend on the forum but for the most part why should it matter.

Raven MacKenzie

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2015, 08:35:15 PM »
[...] yes it does show how much time someone does spend on the forum [...]
Not really, in my opinion. I spend about 3 hours a day on the forum but I don't write everytime when I am online. And I think I'm not the only one doing so.

Offline George

• The Cyan
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • "Don't be square, be cube"
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Baja Blast
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: Almost 200 lbs
  • Build: A bit soft
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2015, 09:16:16 PM »
Not really, in my opinion. I spend about 3 hours a day on the forum but I don't write everytime when I am online. And I think I'm not the only one doing so.

0r someone like me who mainly posts in Forum Games.

Raven MacKenzie

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2015, 09:35:07 PM »

Yes, you're right.
You see, Liska: The number of posts doesn't show how much time someone does spend on the forum. Every person is individual on that score.

Offline G-Root Liska

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
  • Species: Siberian Husky
  • Coloring: Blue and White Husky with Cobalt Blue Headfur with green highlights
  • Height: 5 feet 7 inches
  • Weight: 140
  • Build: Average
  • Currently: Physically Drained
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2015, 11:19:02 PM »

Yes, you're right.
You see, Liska: The number of posts doesn't show how much time someone does spend on the forum. Every person is individual on that score.

I guess you do have a point in that matter. I forgot that some forums the post count doesn't add to your profile post count. However that doesn't make much of a difference too. Someone could literally spend 1 hour and post a hundred posts.

Offline Alessia Starfurr

• Vixen of the Stars
  • Unique Unicorn
  • awards Obtainable by request This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster
  • BEHOLD THE POWER OF MY...Rubber sword?
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Folf (Hybrid Fox Wolf)
  • Coloring: Dark Blue, Light Blue
  • Weight: WHA!?!?
  • Build: Slim,fit.
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Still raiding open fridges and freezers.
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2016, 11:35:06 PM »
Hmm post count reset??? Didn't notice anything how recently was this? I don't pay too much attention to post count. There are Much more important things, like....Umm having fun roleplays with friends, Grammar.
Uhh..Lord I didn't train to be a pilot. Tell me I don't have any more flying to do today.........................  Amen. ~ 'Dutch' Halo3 ODST.

We all go through peroids of darkness. In such times we can turn to the Lord, but it's good to have friends ~  Joshua Graham , Fallout New Vegas, Honest Hearts.

When people are lost they turn to the man who  acts like he knows the way out,  when the truth is he knows less than them. ~ John McMillan Original War

"Never Interfere With an Enemy While He’s in the Process of Destroying Himself" -Unknown.

"I guess irony can be pretty ironic sometimes" ~William Shatter, Airplane II 

Credits: Alesssia pictures by JackThorn/Tomas13

Offline The Past

• Archmage
  • Tackling Tiger
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 10 Most Online
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2016, 12:49:19 AM »
There was no post count reset.

There are a few boards (Random board, Forum Games, Fun RP) in which posts made in them aren't included in the profile post count. This is to prevent people inflating their post counts with spam.

There was a thread which was moved to Random Board because it became a random chat, and it made some people's post counts lower as a result. A number of those people got angry and caused drama in other threads. Due to that, there was discussion of removing the profile post count entirely since people take it so seriously. That never happened, and most likely never will.