The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: A few questions on fursuiting and where to start  (Read 937 times)

Offline c4539

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Awards
A few questions on fursuiting and where to start
« on: October 31, 2015, 01:55:23 AM »
Hi all,
I recently just became interested in fursuit making. I want to start learning how to, but I don't know where to start, what to do first, or what tools or things to buy. I also don't have a lot to spend, so I won't buy anything expensive like faux fur, expensive tools or machinery, or waste materials.

I'll wait for answers before I start asking anymore questions or give more details.

Questions:
-What should I do or know before I start fursuiting (other than it being expensive)?
-Do I need to learn sewing (and/or any other skills necessary) before I start?
-What are the tools I need?
-What are some good tutorials or how-to websites/posts on fursuiting?
-Are there inexpensive alternatives to faux fur?
-What are your tips or advice?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 01:56:54 AM by c4539 »

Offline Gulliks

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Awards
  • Species: River Bear
Re: A few questions on fursuiting and where to start
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 04:13:36 AM »
I would start by going to joanns or whatever fabric store is nearby if you can't afford the high quality fur online. Watch a video on how to make a tail, then give it a shot. If you're not buying nice fur, then that project could cost as little as $10-15. You'll need to know how to hand see.

Prep:
Designing your tail $free

Tools:
Needle $1

Materials
Thread  $1-2
Faux fur $5-10 (a yard of fur can yield more than one tail too)
Stuffing $free(old stuffed animals)-$10(a bag of poly fill which will go a long way)
Elastic $1-2

Make yourself a tail, then try making some paws and stuff. Once your comfortable with sewing and patterning (you'll probably need to know a few basic stitches which are easy to learn but take practice) try and save up some money and buy some foam. And a hot glue gun/ sticks. Depending on where you go you can get enough foam for a head for about $20-40 depending on if you're doing balaclava or bucket design.

Google matrices Fursuit building and just troll around on YouTube they're great resources.

Take your time, hope this helped