The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: "Elitist furries"?  (Read 959 times)

Offline Sergie The Sergon

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Awards
"Elitist furries"?
« on: August 21, 2015, 01:28:48 PM »
So, me and a friend from Melbourne were chatting and he made a comment that he reckons most of the Northern Australian furs, mostly Brisbane furs, are in a sense "Elitist."  I actually agreed with on this.  Though we also agreed that not all of the Northern furs were like such and not that we were accusing anyone, but neither did we have a definition of an "elitist fur" in this case.  If I was a guessing Sergon, I would have to say, Furs that believe no one is a true furry unless they've attended a set number of furcons, slept with a set number of other furries, or are not cool or popufur by their standards.

I've actually lost a good friend who moved to Brisbane to such furs (or atleast their ideals), because after he moved when I tried to talk to him, he replied (and I quote), "I'm under no obligation to talk with you" then proceeded to block all contact with me.

So, has anyone been in a situation like this or have dealt with furries that were "elitist" in anyway or even offer advise about such a matter?

Offline saph the sergal

• Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • a derpy sergal
    • Awards
  • Species: aussie sergal
  • Coloring: black and purple
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 50 kilograms
  • Build: in shape
  • Currently: hello darkness my old friend
Re: "Elitist furries"?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 01:33:25 PM »
ok this i have never heard of and as a northern fur (sunnie coast one) i would love to meet a few of these just to teach them a good lesson but really my thinking is that they were just being rude about sports or something stupid

it doesn't matter where you live really ill talk to anyone who wants to talk

if its about cons then the heck are they on like really a con is a con a friend is someone whom you trust

if its about how many you have slept with then you need to learn that its a stupid thing to be compared to

dont worrie if your not cool or a popufur just be yourself
on land line is a inanimate object under water it has a life of its own

i have a very dry sense of humor be careful around me :D

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Most Online
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 01:46:27 PM »
NSW fur here, I don't see Brissy furs as elitist at all. I'd actually say Melbourne furs could be more elitist than Brissy furs because Brisbane has no real furcons (except RivFur, but that's more of a meet). Confurgence and FurDU are the largest cons in Australia and while FurDU is in the gold coast (not northern) Confurgence is in melbourne and is considered the "largest". I've been to FurDU cause I've heard it's better :P .

And meanwhile NSW still doesn't have a con, we have FurJam and Mid May, but if you say that's a con in front of any NSW furs they'll lynch you xD It's just a big meet.

So in conclusion Melbourne has the largest furry convention and I haven't noticed Brissy furs being "elitist"
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline White Wolf Guardian

• Wolgon Hat
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Received through special limited time events Top 10 Poster This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I'm a wolgon!
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf Dragon (Wolgon)
  • Coloring: White and Blue
  • Height: 10' long or 7' tall
  • Weight: 400lbs or 250lbs
  • Build: Thin
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Healed up
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 03:41:21 PM »
"I have spent more money than you, I am the best!"

Sounds like primary school garbage.

/ into the trash it goes

Why even waste time with such people? You aren't missing out on Chad culture.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 03:44:20 PM by Kevin Wyte »
  • Signature art by: FluffyGorer

Offline Aldebar

• Avid Aardvark
  • Shag Carpet
    • DeviantArt
    • Tumblr
    • Awards
  • Species: Bovine (Yak/Bison)
  • Coloring: Blacks, dark browns, white outline around ice blue eyes.
  • Height: 7'6"
  • Build: Stocky, a bit thick
  • Currently: Staying strong.
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 07:40:13 PM »
I can't say much regarding the parts about geographical locations, but the idea of a "true furry" is hilariously petty to me. Like it's some exclusive club you need to put all this effort towards getting into before you finally get your Furry Membership Card you can use to prove you're a "true" furry.

If someone turns their snotty muzzle up at others for not having an expensive fursuit, not going to as many (or any) cons, or even not having enough artwork of their fursona, or something, then they're clearly not worth your time. I will say, though, that they're doing the community a disservice by being exclusionary for silly reasons. It should be about expressing yourself, making friends, and having fun, not about becoming a "popufur" and getting lots of attention.

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Most Online
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 12:51:18 PM »
This attitude is present in so many cultures though, it's insane

"You're not a real gamer unless you..."
"You're not a real American unless you..."

It gets sort of ridiculous x.x

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Celestial_Dragon

• Foxy Fox
  • I intend to live forever, or die Trying
    • Awards
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Gold scaled and White underside, with angel-like wings
  • Height: 260cm
  • Weight: 120kg
  • Build: Mesomorph
  • Currently: More than likely studying while having this open on my Laptop
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 01:08:48 PM »
what defines someone is better than anyone else.
We all are born, created by a genetic process, we all feel some sort of emotion whether pain or love, or something similar, and we all die, and are gone, 100 years more than likely we are just a list of people on a cenus data sheet. Maybe i am a elitist but i don't feel like one, i am just some kid writing on some forum, and does that make me better or higher than the guy below me or above me, nope, you show me an elitist and i will show you a loser, plain and simple, no one is better, if you don't belive that, go and talk to people, you will be suprised.

I am country Aussie by the way...

• Signature art by: -

Freedom isn't free
You can lead me, follow me, or get out of my way so make up your mind

Offline BennyJackdaw

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Meep!
    • Awards
  • Species: Giant Rat
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 12:10:42 PM »
I know a lot of people who probably think I'm an elitist furry, but the truth is I'm really not. I've called a lot of people fake furries, but not because they don't go to conventions, dress up or roleplay, but because they act like they hate ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING that is furry related or has anthros in them, and spend most of their time whining about anything furry or anthro, with their fursona being the absolute only thing "furry" about them. Does that still make me an elitist?

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 12:24:49 PM »
I know a lot of people who probably think I'm an elitist furry, but the truth is I'm really not. I've called a lot of people fake furries, but not because they don't go to conventions, dress up or roleplay, but because they act like they hate ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING that is furry related or has anthros in them, and spend most of their time whining about anything furry or anthro, with their fursona being the absolute only thing "furry" about them. Does that still make me an elitist?

Sort of. The most general definition of what a furry is is someone who is a fan of anthropomorphic art, if they're a fan than they could be classified as a furry if they so choose. They don't have to like the community to be furry.

Offline BennyJackdaw

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Meep!
    • Awards
  • Species: Giant Rat
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 02:10:33 PM »

Sort of. The most general definition of what a furry is is someone who is a fan of anthropomorphic art, if they're a fan than they could be classified as a furry if they so choose. They don't have to like the community to be furry.

But these people didn't seem to like ANYTHING anthro. They just had anthro characters in their icons and called themselves furries, and then go on to complain about everything furry, including furries themselves.

Offline Aldebar

• Avid Aardvark
  • Shag Carpet
    • DeviantArt
    • Tumblr
    • Awards
  • Species: Bovine (Yak/Bison)
  • Coloring: Blacks, dark browns, white outline around ice blue eyes.
  • Height: 7'6"
  • Build: Stocky, a bit thick
  • Currently: Staying strong.
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 07:14:28 PM »
It seems strange, but if they represent themselves with anthro characters and call them selves furry, then... *shrug* There's not much to be done about it, since those are pretty much the most basic concept of what a furry is. It's not really anyone's place to decide who can and can't call themselves one, even in cases like these.

Though, if they're going around mocking anyone else who does the exact same things they do (anthro persona, calling themselves furry) then they're just being hypocritical and aren't worth the time of day.