The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: i need help with going to the upcoming convention  (Read 357 times)

Offline moonwolf101

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Work Until Your Idols Become Your Rivals
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Timber Wolf
  • Coloring: Brown fur with a light tan underbelly, dark brown hair that hangs over her right eye, has blue eyes
  • Height: about 5 feet
  • Weight: 106.9
  • Build: thin, female build
  • Currently: meh
i need help with going to the upcoming convention
« on: July 30, 2015, 01:02:54 AM »
If this is in the wrong forum I apologize

Anyway, me being a 13 year-old furry I have never been to a furry convention, but I would really like to go this year, but there's school, and my dad doesn't know I'm a furry. I have no idea how to tell him, plus I have to make a fursuit. So I'd really appreciate some advice! And thank you!
  • Avatar by: lineart by Rits-Blitz
"we do have a lot in common.
The same earth, the same air, the same sky.
Maybe if we started looking at what's the same instead of what's different... Well, who knows." - Meowth

Offline ★Amethyst★

• Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Maine Coon
  • Coloring: White with light purple hair/patches
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: 120
  • Build: Average/slim
  • Currently: itching to do stuff
Re: i need help with going to the upcoming convention
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 03:44:44 AM »
It's not necessary to have a fursuit for your first con, so don't worry too much about that if it'll be too hard or costly to make(but if you're willing to try go for it). Which con are you thinking about, and is it very far from where you are?

I don't know the policy of every furry convention, but I'm pretty sure that in many cons minors need to be accompanied by an adult, or at least have written parental permission. Your dad may need to go with you or at least allow you to go. I'm afraid I don't know how you could tell him about the con or you being a furry, or how he'll react. Just be honest and show him that it's nothing bad or freaky :p

Heck, maybe if he goes he can see what the furry fandom is really like and won't be negative towards it? Just my advice  :/

Offline kalan

• The immortal half blood
  • Velvety Vole
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Topic Starter
    • Awards
  • Species: Welf
  • Coloring: Blue and silver with a small light blue crescent scar under his left eyes from a magic attack
  • Height: 6' 2"
  • Weight: 189 lbs
  • Build: Tall and muscular with the strength and speed of an elf
  • Currently: Slowly coming back
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 04:56:12 AM »
It would be ill advised to get a fursuit anyways at your age. They are very expensive and you will likely outgrow it in a year or two. And as said above the are not required. I know furs that have been in the fandom for years and dont have a suit.

And yes make sure you check with the con rules you may need parental permission to go
^Is my bust fren

Spoiler for Hidden:
That made me feel so good. Oh my gosh. Thank you man and same to you  [hugs tight]

I'm the same without Makias and Kalan!
both are loved and fun to be around

"Atleast your stomach will stop your tears from hitting the ground" ~Tim (138)

Offline ★Amethyst★

• Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Maine Coon
  • Coloring: White with light purple hair/patches
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: 120
  • Build: Average/slim
  • Currently: itching to do stuff
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 07:29:57 AM »
Again, about the fursuit part: How much time is left before the con? I've never made a fursuit(want to though), but I know that it can take quite awhile to make, especially if it's your first one. I was once a silly 12 year old who thought they could put together a cosplay a week before an anime convention with minimal sewing skills, and ended up defeated when it inevitably went bust. Don't be me  x_x

Not trying to make you feel negative, just a word of caution  :P

Offline moonwolf101

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Work Until Your Idols Become Your Rivals
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Timber Wolf
  • Coloring: Brown fur with a light tan underbelly, dark brown hair that hangs over her right eye, has blue eyes
  • Height: about 5 feet
  • Weight: 106.9
  • Build: thin, female build
  • Currently: meh
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 05:28:52 PM »
Thank you all for advice! Anyway I'm planning on going to RMFC
  • Avatar by: lineart by Rits-Blitz
"we do have a lot in common.
The same earth, the same air, the same sky.
Maybe if we started looking at what's the same instead of what's different... Well, who knows." - Meowth

Offline Goblin Cat 😸

• Halloween Hellraiser
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Poster
  • It's all fire and brimstone, baby.
    • Awards
  • Species: Bull Were-ier
  • Build: Thick
  • Currently: apprehensive.
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 06:20:17 PM »
There's already a thread sort of like this here.