The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Going to Cons as a Minor  (Read 1330 times)

Offline FizzyPaws

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • Your blue Malahuskolf friend.
    • Awards
  • Species: Alaskan Malamute, Siberian Husky, Wolf mix
  • Coloring: Cobalt
  • Height: 5'7''
  • Weight: Noneyabusiness
  • Build: Tall, curvy
  • Currently: Excited
Going to Cons as a Minor
« on: July 06, 2015, 10:49:34 PM »
(Just a beforehand notice: Sorry if this is in the wrong board, I'm new here, and I'm still exploring. I'm also sorry if there is a post already like this one. Just delete this if there is.)

So, do most fur cons allow minors, especially minors under the age of 13? I'm going to be 13 soon, but I also might get to go to Rainfurrest this year, and it's before my birthday. I'm hoping to be in-suit most of the time (if my suit is even done by then), but I'm more worried about how the older furries might react. Should I just wait and go until I'm older? I would really like to go, but I'm not sure if I can have all the fun to be had, and if the situations will get awkward with a 12 year old among them.

Hehe, even if I can't or shouldn't, I will still appreciate answers!
Thanks in advance! 
  • Signature art by: Rebecca Sugar

Offline Obey138 (Matthew "Fluffy")

• Jovial Jaguar
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • ~$ sudo pm-hibernate
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Last.fm Profile
    • Awards
  • Species: Anthro Catwolf
  • Coloring: Dark-grey fur (#767b7d), cream-white straps and belly (#f3f1e4), grey additions (#b5b3ad)
  • Height: ~183cm / ~6ft / ~72inch
  • Weight: ~73kg / ~161lbs
  • Build: Slim fit
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Please be aware of my rude jokes!
Re: Going to Cons as a Minor
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 11:02:07 PM »
You might need to get your parents' signature(s) on special document, that confirms they are responsible for your actions, depending on if it's closed or not.

Other than that, you might be overreacting a little.

(It's also not a good idea to get a suit at this age, unless you are sure you aren't going to grow much in nearest future.)

Offline FizzyPaws

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • Your blue Malahuskolf friend.
    • Awards
  • Species: Alaskan Malamute, Siberian Husky, Wolf mix
  • Coloring: Cobalt
  • Height: 5'7''
  • Weight: Noneyabusiness
  • Build: Tall, curvy
  • Currently: Excited
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 12:40:25 AM »
Oh phew! Plus I'm probably not going to grow much anymore, so I'm sure it's safe for me XD. It's just I've never been to a convention of any type, so I don't know what it's like heh, so that's probably why I'm overreacting.
  • Signature art by: Rebecca Sugar

Offline Goblin Cat 😸

• Halloween Hellraiser
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Poster
  • It's all fire and brimstone, baby.
    • Awards
  • Species: Bull Were-ier
  • Build: Thick
  • Currently: apprehensive.
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 02:07:56 AM »
Personally, I wouldn't try going to something like that until you're older. I don't say that out of fear that it will be awkward so much as I think it's not necessarily safe. There are cool people in the fandom, yes, but there's also a lot of bad there, too. If you go, it would be wise to not go alone, especially if you're going to meet someone much older than you.

Offline kalan

• The immortal half blood
  • Velvety Vole
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Topic Starter
    • Awards
  • Species: Welf
  • Coloring: Blue and silver with a small light blue crescent scar under his left eyes from a magic attack
  • Height: 6' 2"
  • Weight: 189 lbs
  • Build: Tall and muscular with the strength and speed of an elf
  • Currently: Slowly coming back
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 02:45:50 AM »
Every con is different some straight up say no minors. Others allow it but you need a parent or gaurdians signature.  And some will require a signature and you have to be accompanied by an adult. I think there are also a few that have hours that minors are allowed in. Its mainly an insurance and liability issue, you should check the policies of the con you plan to attend. They usually have a contact page on theirs websites.

I do agree with mort however it would be ill advised to go alone if your allowed to go alone, I definitely recommend going with somebody
^Is my bust fren

Spoiler for Hidden:
That made me feel so good. Oh my gosh. Thank you man and same to you  [hugs tight]

I'm the same without Makias and Kalan!
both are loved and fun to be around

"Atleast your stomach will stop your tears from hitting the ground" ~Tim (138)