The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Approximately how much does it cost to make a fursuit yourself?  (Read 2176 times)

Offline AngelWingsCreations

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • How do you human?
    • Awards
  • Species: Chira
  • Coloring: White base; Navy Blue, Medium Grey, Lilac, Orange, Brown, Black, Gold, Golden Blonde, Golden Brown, Purple
  • Height: Feral: 2'3"; Anthro: 5' 5 5/8"
  • Weight: Feral: 75lbs; Anthro: 143lbs
  • Currently: *flail*
I'll be starting to make my first fursuit after Halloween and I'm wondering about how much I'll need to save up for the things I'll need. It just needs to be an approximate number, not exact. It's a fullsuit, by the way, and I already have the fabric for horns and claws.

Offline Cheza

• Förseningschef
  • Global Moderator
  • Quizzical Quail
  • awards This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 10 Most Online This user has donated to the forum. This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Mostly harmless.
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Woof.
  • Coloring: Brown.
  • Height: 165 cm.
  • Weight: 50 kg.
  • Build: Average.
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Gnawing on all the table legs!
Re: Approximately how much does it cost to make a fursuit yourself?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 03:29:10 AM »
*Quoting and editing myself from another thread*

Quote from: Cheza
Depending on how you're planning to go about making it, and your own skill level when it comes to crafting, the price can change up or down quite a lot.

For example, here are three different prices for a blank headbase (Please note that all numbers aren't 100% correct but they should be close, and that shipping would most likely have to be included in some cases as well unless you go buy stuff in person):

~$125 if buying and hinged head if buying a ready-made unfurred resin base from for DVC.
~$70-80 if commissioning a headbase from from someone else.
~$12-20 1 yard of half-inch thickness foam to form the head yourself.

According to some site, the average-ish amount of fur needed for a fullsuit is ~4-5 yards. In most cases it's probably best to have too much fur than too little, especially if it's going to be a digitigrade fullsuit.

Most furs seem to go for about $25/yard on fursuitsupplies, so multiplied it'd be about ~$50-125 for the furs excluding shipping.

Then there are the things like eyes and what style you want them in. Toony eyes are usually made from buckram, while some want the more realistic resin ones.

Costs for the buckram would be ~$1,50 (which you're going to need no matter what style you want (I think) since it's what people use to cover the tear-ducts in suits with resin eyes) and resin blanks are around ~$5. .

If we now take the most expensive outcome possible from my calculation we should land at about $255 or so. I've probably missed a few steps and/or details here and there since I've never tried building a suit myself. Of course that sum is for picking the "easiest" and most expensive options in all cases mentioned above. It could be a lot less if you're good enough at crafts to make the headbase out of foam yourself. The fur is most likely going to be the most expensive thing no matter what.

This thread over here have some nice examples and posts made by people who (unlike me) actually know what they're talking about xP
https://forums.furaffinity.net/threads/29207-How-much-did-your-fursuit-cost-to-make

Hopefully this helped a little at least and good luck with your project ^^'

Offline AngelWingsCreations

• Avid Aardvark
  • How do you human?
    • Awards
  • Species: Chira
  • Coloring: White base; Navy Blue, Medium Grey, Lilac, Orange, Brown, Black, Gold, Golden Blonde, Golden Brown, Purple
  • Height: Feral: 2'3"; Anthro: 5' 5 5/8"
  • Weight: Feral: 75lbs; Anthro: 143lbs
  • Currently: *flail*
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 03:36:16 AM »
So it's roughly between $250-400? That seems doable. I've just set aside a jar for my suit and I've already put a dollar in it. I was thinking if I set aside about five dollars a week then I'll be able to reach my goal in no time.

Offline lissathedragontr

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 06:51:30 PM »
I'll be starting to make my first fursuit after Halloween and I'm wondering about how much I'll need to save up for the things I'll need. It just needs to be an approximate number, not exact. It's a fullsuit, by the way, and I already have the fabric for horns and claws.
Well, it depends on how crafty you are, what type of suit you want(toony, realistic, etc.) And how much you have budgeted. But if you're smart about it(asking crafty friends for extra materials they don't need, recycling a couch cushion for foam, etc.), you can make one very easily. Good luck!