The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: considering getting a new laptop... saw this one and i really want it.  (Read 2465 times)

Offline Kyarex

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • :I
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Black, Dark Red
  • Height: 8.4 ft
  • Weight: 197 lbs
  • Build: Tall, Thin
  • Currently: Bored...
I was browsing for laptops when i came across this one laptop and i really want it, it is around 1550 dollars and here are some of the specs

Graphics - Nvidia GTX 980m
Processor - 2.5GHz Intel i7 4710HQ
Memory - 16 GB Ram
Storage - 8 GB SSD, 1 TB HDD

and that about sums it up...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 02:42:09 AM by Kyarex »
I don't know what to put here...

Offline saph the sergal

• Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • a derpy sergal
    • Awards
  • Species: aussie sergal
  • Coloring: black and purple
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 50 kilograms
  • Build: in shape
  • Currently: hello darkness my old friend
can we know a brand please and 8 GB SSD? that wont hold even the OS
on land line is a inanimate object under water it has a life of its own

i have a very dry sense of humor be careful around me :D

Offline Kyarex

• Vibrating Furby
  • :I
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Coloring: Black, Dark Red
  • Height: 8.4 ft
  • Weight: 197 lbs
  • Build: Tall, Thin
  • Currently: Bored...
this is from what i remember, it could be wrong, also it is a MSi laptop
I don't know what to put here...

Offline saph the sergal

• Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • a derpy sergal
    • Awards
if you find it again can you please link it :)

msi i think you could be getting the higher up version ill look at the list i have

the 8GB ssd do you mean a 128GB?

Offline PLEASE DELETE THIS ACCOUNT

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
  • Species: Vulpes Lagopus Sapien
  • Coloring: Silvery furred with a white underbelly
  • Height: 1.66m
  • Weight: 55kg
  • Build: thin and fit. Not very velouptuous
i bet he means that its a hybrid 1TB platter drive with an 8GB SSD for caching. "hybrid drives" These tend to have a LOT of issues and you may be better off getting a regular HDD or SSD or both... but hybrid drives have wonky handling of data and tended to have a higher failure rate that other drives.
And more specs about it may be nice.

I recently went back and forth over getting a gaming computer or a workstation one.
I went with the latter and got the same processor you have listed, and for most anything its perfectly sufficient. at 100% load it runs at 3.3Ghz on all the cores, and for most anything game wise you will never see above 15-20% cpu usage. For most users it may be an overkill processor.  My GPU is no where near that one for gaming. But i did not buy this to play games on, i got it to do solidworks. That said, its still plenty sufficient to run skyrim on ultra with 4k textures and some 80 mods including lighting overhauls, paralax mapping and such (AMD FirePro M5100 GL5) and the card you are looking at should be able to handle most anything current in high to ultra settings.

Question is with that card... thats most likely a 17" notebook and it weighs maybe 4kg+. Is that something you want to carry around all day  ?

Offline George

• The Cyan
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Top 100 Poster
  • "Don't be square, be cube"
  • Coloring: Baja Blast
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: Almost 200 lbs
  • Build: A bit soft
Here's a hint: Don't. Laptops are great for work, but they're terrible for trying to use for games or generally making fast. You most often can't change their parts, so you're stuck with what you got. If you want something fancy, get a desktop PC so you can have better quality and ease of upgrading. If you want portable convenience for work and stuff, you'd only need a basic laptop anyway and can save a lot of money.

Offline VoodooMax

• Chatty Cheetah
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Orange and White
  • Height: 5 Feet 11 Inches
  • Weight: 130 pounds
  • Build: Slender
As good as that sounds, don't get it. Desktops are a better all around PC; laptops overheat more often which isn't good for the PC (or anything for that matter) and most of the time, you can't upgrade them. Desktops are faster, more powerful and upgradable. If you can find a desktop with those specks, I would get that. Let me end with this; I've had four laptops in my life but only one desktop.

Offline saph the sergal

• Noble Newt
  • a derpy sergal
    • Awards
they are right but the hybrid drives arnt sold anymore that i can see

yea laptop bad idea for that same amount you can build yourself a computer and save 550 in doing it

missyvixen: i might know what one it is msi dont use the hybrid drives they have a 128GB ssd normally and 1TB hard drive

george: there are some upgradeable laptops but they are like 4K easy but yea normaly only 2 things can be changed in a laptop RAM and the hard drive even those are a pain to do

everyone here says the pc knowlage they know and we all know alot im the more hardware type of tech i was the first to notice that nvidia's titan z got kicked around by the 780 TI

in all NEVER BUY A LAPTOP unless you are doing work and little gaming or need to go out and still use the net

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
I don't get why this happens but it seems to happen a lot...
the OP said he wanted to get a new laptop. TO me that means he already knows the pros and cons, but decided he wants one. Maybe he wants to use it on the go, maybe he migrates between school/home/work and needs the portability. Some people dont have the ability or see the rational to spend more money on a good laptop and a good desktop, when the former does everything they need and they dont need to buy two things.

I don't get why someone who asks about a laptop is told "buy a desktop you will be happier"
Its like someone wanting a honda fit/jazz going to the dealership and they try and sell them a Chevy suburban.

The myth( i call it one) about laptops not being easy to service is hogwash. What he is looking at is a msi shared chassis, with prostar sager and clevo most likely. Meaning its a modular laptop.
The GTX980m is to the best of my knowledge only on a daughter card, and can be replaced  by removing only two screws holding it to the mother board.
Most laptops of that size and caliber use standard mobile sockets for the CPU, and separate daughter boards for all the highly used IO ports. Its going to use a two or more fan cooling system and should never get that hot.

Also as far as not being fast as someone mentioned :some mobile processors top 20 fastest CPU's right now for the home when using shipping clock rates based on raw number crunching like geek bench. I can load up multi hundred megabyte systems in Solidworks and freely rotate them around in real time with no issues. i can play poorly coded games like skyrim and crysis 3 with no issues either, though both are not very "cutting edge" anymore they do tax your system more than something a little better coded.

Yes, if you want to sit there and try to play the newest greatest most taxing (and often just poorly coded games out there) then a laptop is not going to work. But if you want to do spreadsheets, movies, internet, and occasionally play some games, there is nothing wrong with them.

--------
i would also like to note that my laptop was in no way 4 k. It was less than the one the OP is looking at. A precision M4800 with 9cell 11 hour run time battery, same CPU, 8GB of 1866mhz ram, and the 2GB AMD Firepro m5100.  You do not have to spend a fortune to get an upgradable, serviceable, professional quality notebook.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 12:20:15 PM by MissyVixen »

Offline White Wolf Guardian

• Wolgon Hat
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Received through special limited time events Top 10 Poster This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I'm a wolgon!
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf Dragon (Wolgon)
  • Coloring: White and Blue
  • Height: 10' long or 7' tall
  • Weight: 400lbs or 250lbs
  • Build: Thin
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Healed up
I don't get why this happens but it seems to happen a lot...
the OP said he wanted to get a new laptop. TO me that means he already knows the pros and cons, but decided he wants one. Maybe he wants to use it on the go, maybe he migrates between school/home/work and needs the portability. Some people dont have the ability or see the rational to spend more money on a good laptop and a good desktop, when the former does everything they need and they dont need to buy two things.

I don't get why someone who asks about a laptop is told "buy a desktop you will be happier"
Its like someone wanting a honda fit/jazz going to the dealership and they try and sell them a Chevy suburban.

The myth( i call it one) about laptops not being easy to service is hogwash. What he is looking at is a msi shared chassis, with prostar sager and clevo most likely. Meaning its a modular laptop.
The GTX980m is to the best of my knowledge only on a daughter card, and can be replaced  by removing only two screws holding it to the mother board.
Most laptops of that size and caliber use standard mobile sockets for the CPU, and separate daughter boards for all the highly used IO ports. Its going to use a two or more fan cooling system and should never get that hot.

Also as far as not being fast as someone mentioned :some mobile processors top 20 fastest CPU's right now for the home when using shipping clock rates based on raw number crunching like geek bench. I can load up multi hundred megabyte systems in Solidworks and freely rotate them around in real time with no issues. i can play poorly coded games like skyrim and crysis 3 with no issues either, though both are not very "cutting edge" anymore they do tax your system more than something a little better coded.

Yes, if you want to sit there and try to play the newest greatest most taxing (and often just poorly coded games out there) then a laptop is not going to work. But if you want to do spreadsheets, movies, internet, and occasionally play some games, there is nothing wrong with them.

--------
i would also like to note that my laptop was in no way 4 k. It was less than the one the OP is looking at. A precision M4800 with 9cell 11 hour run time battery, same CPU, 8GB of 1866mhz ram, and the 2GB AMD Firepro m5100.  You do not have to spend a fortune to get an upgradable, serviceable, professional quality notebook.

That seems to be a "past" ability that no longer works. http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/graphics-card-upgrade-on-sager-clevo-laptops.670928/

MSI is also mentioned, but again there is a chance an upgrade will not work anymore.
  • Signature art by: FluffyGorer

Offline Obey138 (Matthew "Fluffy")

• Jovial Jaguar
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • ~$ sudo pm-hibernate
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Last.fm Profile
    • Awards
  • Species: Anthro Catwolf
  • Coloring: Dark-grey fur (#767b7d), cream-white straps and belly (#f3f1e4), grey additions (#b5b3ad)
  • Height: ~183cm / ~6ft / ~72inch
  • Weight: ~73kg / ~161lbs
  • Build: Slim fit
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Please be aware of my rude jokes!
#PCMustardRace

But no, seriously.
Like others said, get laptop only if you need portability.

Offline saph the sergal

• Noble Newt
  • a derpy sergal
    • Awards
there are some upgradeable laptops but they are like 4K easy

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1538_1539&products_id=32193

price 6299

some laptops are upgradable but are over 4 thousand dollars most things in any laptop that you can change is the 2.5 inch hard drive

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards

That seems to be a "past" ability that no longer works. http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/graphics-card-upgrade-on-sager-clevo-laptops.670928/

MSI is also mentioned, but again there is a chance an upgrade will not work anymore.

Addressing white listing of cards is something that can be done by flashing custom BIOS like prema BIOS. Just saying. Don't be too quick to dismiss something just because its not plug and play. A number of prebuilt desktops have GPU white listing as well in bios and you need to circumvent that, that does not stop people from buying them and upgrading things.

some laptops are upgradable but are over 4 thousand dollars most things in any laptop that you can change is the 2.5 inch hard drive
this is also a myth, basically every notebook thats x86/64 still uses sockets, and the processors are upgradable, as is the ram, the disk drive, the display can almost always be replaced with a higher res model. Ram is easy to upgrade in most notebooks, as are the HDD as you mentioned. Things i suggested and that he is looking at use the MxM cards and those are as easily swapped as ram provided they are either a) white listed b) the Notebook maker does not white list at all or C) you flash a custom bios.

your example is also a bit extreme : the HP Zbook, Dell Precision, Alienware 15 and 17" models, Lenovo W series, just to name a few are made to upgrade as well and cost significantly less. THat MSI thing you posted is just a mobile desktop : it uses a desktop GPU and GPU.... IF you really want to yes, you can get a 32 logical core Xeon powered laptop for like 8 grand.... but that is so far beyond the scope of what the OP was asking its just absurd. Why cant people just stick to what the person was asking about instead of going on crazy tangents :S

Here is a laptop with easily upgraded parts. Yes they are mobile parts. No they are not desktop parts like what you showed. Yes the cost more per computational cycle but its the price you pay for mobility.

Offline saph the sergal

• Noble Newt
  • a derpy sergal
    • Awards
we were talking about what was being asked i was stating the pros and cons

you went off

my advice get a desktop pc

it will last longer with care and cleaning

so much more stuff that can be done and way easier to do such things

get the new and best way before its done for a laptop

new generations of chips and motherboards are supported for years (intel 1150 socket or the 'gamers platform')

the CPU and GPU can be watercooled with a custom loop if you want (heavy maintenance and care required) if you only want to do the CPU theres all in one coolers

better cases

there's towers for cpu cooling

multiple gpus can be used depending on support of the motherboard

in a nutshell desktops are way better then a little laptop

Offline Drakeyboy

• Foxy Fox
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox/Raccon (hybrid)
  • Coloring: Red with white fur
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 145 lbs
  • Build: long arms and legs with a very slim build.
  • Currently: gaming, job huntig, and listenig to music. Like a Elite!
Kyarex what do you want the laptop for?