The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: To Page 9000  (Read 224488 times)

Offline HellEye

• The Elementalist
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Obtainable by request This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Fox go boop
    • Awards
  • Species: Red fox
  • Coloring: Red and white, normal red fox coloring
  • Height: 5'8" Anthro / 1'4" Feral
  • Weight: 150lbs Anthro / 20lbs Feral
  • Build: Average, fluffy
  • Currently: *Happy fox*
Re: To Page 9000
« Reply #29715 on: January 27, 2018, 01:49:53 PM »
I've heard it
Everyone seems to have it, so here's mine

Offline Michen_S

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • A wild MICHEN appeared!
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Feral snow leopard
« Reply #29716 on: January 27, 2018, 02:32:19 PM »
Good, now imagine me saying what I posted 4 replies ago in a poor German accent.

Offline Trixsie Vixen

• Vixen Goddess
  • Global Moderator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Received through special limited time events Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • *Giggles*
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Sherwood Fox
  • Coloring: Like a fire in a blizzard
  • Height: 165 cm
  • Weight: 80 kg
  • Build: Curvy
  • Currently: She flies now!?
« Reply #29717 on: January 27, 2018, 02:41:28 PM »
It ticks me off when some English people whine about Americans having different words/spellings/pronunciations for stuff. "Oh no, dialects are evolving like in any other language, wow, Americans sure are stupid!"

As someone who has a decent bit of interest in linguistics, just... No. XD

I mostly only find it annoying when I'm forced to conform to US English, but interestingly many of the common "trigger" words have more interesting histories behind their differences like aluminum/aluminium.

I do despise Noah Webster though.  But if he'd done a better job he'd be my hero! XD  History and foxes are fickle...

Offline HellEye

• The Elementalist
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Obtainable by request This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Fox go boop
    • Awards
« Reply #29718 on: January 27, 2018, 03:27:10 PM »
Is there history behind the changes in the spelling?

Offline Trixsie Vixen

• Vixen Goddess
  • Global Moderator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Received through special limited time events Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • *Giggles*
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #29719 on: January 27, 2018, 04:01:46 PM »
Well, for some words there's weird little quirks, but for many of the changes Noah Webster decided to make improvements when he wrote his dictionary.  Like Sulphur to sulfur and that sort of thing, but because it was done in an ad hoc way it wasn't consistent or driven by a singular aim (such as simplicity or faithfulness to the etymology),

Some words like faucet used to be used in British English but fell into disuse but continue on in America.

Aluminium originally was Alumium (coined by it's discoverer) then was changed to aluminum (which actually makes the most sense for technical reasons) but was renamed aluminium to be consistent with other elements but not with the consent of the discoverer.

Even though I think "mistakes were made" it's foolish to try to discard American English as just wrong which a lot of people try to do.  If you start going back and undoing that sort of thing you'd have to go back much further.  For example the word indict has a silent c in it because even though it was always pronounced "indite" because linguists knew it derived from the Latin indicere they deemed it should reflect that by having a c.  So it was given a silent letter to show off in a way.

It should never have happened but that's the 1600's for you!

Offline HellEye

• The Elementalist
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • Fox go boop
    • Awards
« Reply #29720 on: January 27, 2018, 04:10:54 PM »
Basically what humans do.

Hey, we passed 30k posts here

Also I'm going for now, dad's birthday party

Offline Trixsie Vixen

• Vixen Goddess
  • Global Moderator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • *Giggles*
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #29721 on: January 27, 2018, 04:16:53 PM »
Yup XD

Happy Birthday HellDad!

Offline Michen_S

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #29722 on: January 27, 2018, 05:35:39 PM »
Have a grrrreat time!

Offline HellEye

• The Elementalist
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • Fox go boop
    • Awards
« Reply #29723 on: January 27, 2018, 06:32:03 PM »
Well I'm back.

Offline Michen_S

• Melodious Mouse
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #29724 on: January 27, 2018, 06:45:11 PM »
Short party, if you ask me.

Offline HellEye

• The Elementalist
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • Fox go boop
    • Awards
« Reply #29725 on: January 27, 2018, 06:47:45 PM »
It's still going, but I'm not a party animal

Offline Michen_S

• Melodious Mouse
    • Steam
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #29726 on: January 27, 2018, 06:53:04 PM »
Ah, I see how it is.

Offline HellEye

• The Elementalist
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • Fox go boop
    • Awards
« Reply #29727 on: January 27, 2018, 06:58:25 PM »
Yea, I hid away.

Offline The Past

• Archmage
  • Tackling Tiger
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 10 Most Online This user has donated to the forum more than once.
    • Awards
« Reply #29728 on: January 27, 2018, 07:10:18 PM »
Well, for some words there's weird little quirks, but for many of the changes Noah Webster decided to make improvements when he wrote his dictionary.  Like Sulphur to sulfur and that sort of thing, but because it was done in an ad hoc way it wasn't consistent or driven by a singular aim (such as simplicity or faithfulness to the etymology),

Some words like faucet used to be used in British English but fell into disuse but continue on in America.

Aluminium originally was Alumium (coined by it's discoverer) then was changed to aluminum (which actually makes the most sense for technical reasons) but was renamed aluminium to be consistent with other elements but not with the consent of the discoverer.

Even though I think "mistakes were made" it's foolish to try to discard American English as just wrong which a lot of people try to do.  If you start going back and undoing that sort of thing you'd have to go back much further.  For example the word indict has a silent c in it because even though it was always pronounced "indite" because linguists knew it derived from the Latin indicere they deemed it should reflect that by having a c.  So it was given a silent letter to show off in a way.

It should never have happened but that's the 1600's for you!

Yay! Someone finally understands the "aluminum" thing! Also, there are other elements with the -num suffix, like platinum and lanthanum. I don't get how people forget that platinum is a thing when they rant about the -num "making no sense". :P

Oh, another fun fact: "Fall" for autumn actually started in England around the 16th century and was carried over to the US, then gradually phased out in England.

Offline HellEye

• The Elementalist
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • Fox go boop
    • Awards
« Reply #29729 on: January 27, 2018, 07:16:10 PM »
Fall is a nice quick name, Autumn is prettier.