The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Roleplay etiquette questions  (Read 865 times)

Offline Limber

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Deer
  • Coloring: Natural (Brown, Black, Cream)
  • Height: 5ft 7inch
  • Weight: 9 stone
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Getting in the zone
Roleplay etiquette questions
« on: May 20, 2015, 06:49:39 AM »
hey there. I wanted to try out roleplaying but I had some questions regarding etiquette when roleplaying. I was looking at some existing roleplays to get a feel of what they are like and there was a few problems I saw that I didn't know how to approach. was hoping some of you may be able to help ^.^

Let's say there was a (serious) roleplay which was open to all. and the pre-existing characters in this roleplay are in an isolated location or somewhere similar where adding a character in won't make sense, or will completely change the dynamics of the situation.
        example, two characters on... let's say an assassination scenario, where the characters have been given orders to dispatch a target, and are currently in the high tension situation of breaking into the targets house.
        adding a character here is difficult and If I wanted to join in I feel like it would break the tension of the situation. In this type of scenario how best should I approach joining this roleplay? Should I message the GM privately and let him know I am looking to join? what works?

Another question I had was 'how do I correctly exit a roleplay' If for some reason I had to leave the roleplay and do something else (like sleep) what do I do? Is it best to leave a post saying '(OOC: I gotta go, continue this later?)' or should I Message the GM and let him know that I am logging out of the forum. or is there another way?

well, thats just about the only questions I had on Roleplay. thoughts?  ^_^

Offline HollowOfHaze

• Lovable Lion
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
  • I see no way in which this could go horribly wrong
    • Awards
  • Species: Heraldic Winged Lion
  • Coloring: Tan fur/feathers, brown hair, brown eyes veined with a golden yellow.
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 128 Lbs
  • Build: Not exceedingly muscular, but definitely not fat.
  • Currently: Forgotten.
Re: Roleplay etiquette questions
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 07:07:51 AM »
It is common courtesy to avoid joining an RP after it has been going for a while, unless the scenario is open to introducing new people. If you are unsure, it always helps to contact the OP to confirm. Leaving an RP for typical reasons is fine, just try not to drop out mid-sentence. A good example of a drop-in/drop-out RP is the Stranded thread, at least in my opinion. Feel free to read a bit to understand what I mean by people coming and going as necessary. Usually they leave and explain their absence prior to leaving. Also, detail and precision always make RPs worth reading and writing.
  • Avatar by: My personal friend SpunkyRaccoon on DeviantArt