The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Thread  (Read 3817 times)

Offline Teanup

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • Probably wants to hug you right now
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Normal fox colors.
  • Height: 1.5 meters
  • Weight: 80 kg
  • Build: Sorta skinny. Again: sorta
  • Currently: Being a furry... and stuff. Yeah.
The Elder Scrolls Thread
« on: May 06, 2015, 11:17:14 PM »
SOMEONE needed to make a thread on my favorite gaming franchise ever. So I am.

A quick retrospective:

Arena: Boring and repetitive. It has no value outside being a historical landmark.

Daggerfall: Really sinking my teeth into this game currently, and CRAP is it fun.

Morrowind: Da best. This game is the interactive embodiment of freedom. You really CAN do whatever you want. Along with being my favorite Scrolls game, it's also my favorite game, period.

Oblivion: So much fun. Possibly the most aesthetically pleasing game ever created... and it's approaching a decade of existence. Not to mention the top-notch soundtrack, and the endless joy and adventrous spirit it portrays. And the quests are really awesome, too.

Skyrim: Oh, you wanted a game about freedom and exploration in a series about freedom and exploration? Too bad, have some boring linear questing. I hate this game.
I'm a fox who just likes to derp around.

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline BennyJackdaw

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Meep!
    • Awards
  • Species: Giant Rat
Re: The Elder Scrolls Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 10:27:44 PM »
I've been looking for Morrowind for the XBox for a while, but no dice so far.

I disagree with Skyrim being crappy. I didn't notice much difference than Oblivion as far as freedom goes, although I did feel there was a bit less stuff in the game.

Offline Teanup

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 10:35:20 PM »
I see a lot of copies for Morrowind on console. Normal is 20, GOTY is 40. FORTY. The console ports aren't as bad as people say they are.

Offline Dax Declan

• Headphone Guy
  • Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • Mr. Misty-Eyed
    • Awards
  • Coloring: Purple-bluish
  • Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 140
  • Build: Slim but toned
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 02:02:01 AM »
I started with seeing oblivion on Xplay (that show was the best) then one day I ended up buying it and I up a lot of time into that game. It was so great and it still is. I also enjoy skyrim a lot. But since I'm not to into the whole "hardcore rpg" genre I struggled to get into morriwind. The lack of quest markers was a deal breaker. One day I might try it again but it's not on my list of must plays right now. I don't quite care for arena or dagger fall. They both seem the same to me. But the. Gain I don't have the eye for detail on this topic.
I don't roleplay In any shape or form.

Offline Teanup

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 02:30:10 AM »
What's your favorite Oblivion quest?

Offline Dax Declan

• Headphone Guy
  • Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • Mr. Misty-Eyed
    • Awards
  • Coloring: Purple-bluish
  • Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 140
  • Build: Slim but toned
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 02:51:51 AM »
Oh gosh. Probably any of the later mages guild quests.
I don't roleplay In any shape or form.

Offline Drakeyboy

• Foxy Fox
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox/Raccon (hybrid)
  • Coloring: Red with white fur
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 145 lbs
  • Build: long arms and legs with a very slim build.
  • Currently: gaming, job huntig, and listenig to music. Like a Elite!
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 12:08:14 PM »
Wow not a lot of elder scrolls fans it seems. My top three in order is morrowind, skyrim, and daggerfall.

Offline Cheza

• Förseningschef
  • Global Moderator
  • Quizzical Quail
  • awards This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has donated to the forum. Top 10 Most Online This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Mostly harmless.
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Woof.
  • Coloring: Brown.
  • Height: 165 cm.
  • Weight: 50 kg.
  • Build: Average.
  • Currently: Gnawing on all the table legs!
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 06:09:41 PM »
I found TES pretty late, with Skyrim being my first game. Since then I have collected all the main games as well as some other stupid more-or-less official trinkets (I have an amulet of Mara and an Imperial dragon necklace irl, a a T-shirt I got with the legendary edition of Skyrim, and a Khajiit partial fursuit.)

So far I've mostly played Oblivion and Skyrim, with Oblivion (specifically Shivering Isles) being my favorite. I've also tried to get into Morrowind, but now that my laptop has pretty much given up on all games (with a few exceptions) it's probably going to take a while before I can play that properly. So far I've liked what I've seen there tho.

Lately I've also fallen for Elder Scrolls Online. Not the best game out there, but the The Elder Scrolls-setting is enough to keep me happy, especially now that I can't play any of the "real" games anymore and I have an awesome friend to play it with.

Offline Drakeyboy

• Foxy Fox
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 06:23:03 PM »
Yeah i tried ESO but for some reason it just didn't feel like a elder scrolls game. I might go back to it now that it's free to play to see if it changed since then but i was pretty disappointed when it came out.

Offline Cheza

• Förseningschef
  • Global Moderator
  • Quizzical Quail
  • awards This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has donated to the forum. Top 10 Most Online This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Mostly harmless.
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Woof.
  • Coloring: Brown.
  • Height: 165 cm.
  • Weight: 50 kg.
  • Build: Average.
  • Currently: Gnawing on all the table legs!
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 06:31:17 PM »
It's got the TES-universe and lore, but that's about where the similarities end. It's still entertaining enough at least for me tho.
I'm not really too sure how much it's changed since the beta tho, since I never got back to it after it was released until like a month or so ago.

Offline Drakeyboy

• Foxy Fox
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 06:42:28 PM »
Hmmm... well i'll still give it a shot. Hope it even works with my luck!  :'( f'ing broken internet.

Offline MrRazot

• Resident Nice-guy
  • Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • Marching onward on my Quest
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lanner Falcon
  • Coloring: Selection of Browns
  • Height: Aprx 180cm
  • Weight: Aprx 50kg
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Well, it was a good run.
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 06:56:21 PM »
ESO was fun.
I'm ashamed to go back on it though after becoming a guild leader then abandoning the guild by simply not logging on anymore.
The controls feel like Morrowind and the gameplay is even more simplified than Skyrim which is already two very big negatives.

I really like Skyrim though, and with a few mods, it's even better than anything Morrowind could ever have been.
also #LostTheGameBecauseYouKilledSomeoneRandom
  • Signature art by: MrRazot

Offline PLEASE DELETE THIS ACCOUNT

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
  • Species: Vulpes Lagopus Sapien
  • Coloring: Silvery furred with a white underbelly
  • Height: 1.66m
  • Weight: 55kg
  • Build: thin and fit. Not very velouptuous
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 07:46:57 PM »
i never got into the first two elder scrolls games, but at that time point-n-click adventures had better stories, better sounds, and better graphics.

But then i got morrowind back in the day and was absolutely amazed and the variety of things both visually and in the RPG style read and point and click. I never did play it much and started to pick it up again, but its just soo poorly coded and full of bugs. Routinely it locks up, stutters, or crashes to desktop with no warning no matter how good your PC is. There are a lot of mods to try and address this but they never really fix the issues.

Oblivion to me had the most "fantasy" type environment from the visuals to the way its laid out, giving a very romanticized middle ages vibe. It felt the most polished of the games to me, but the speech and zooming in on peoples faces was often creepy. I enjoyed it being the last of the typical pick a class and sign RPG styled ES game.

Skyrim is the modders heaven with proper skeleton supports, proper physics, and an amazingly versatile modding scene. There are mods to complete every aspect of the game from exposure to food. Better weapons creation and better combat for the most part. Realistic trajectories for ranged weapons. BUT it has severe draw backs : it used its pretty visual and wow factor to over shadow the fact that most quests are very linear and hollow. IF you play it for more than an hour or so at a time it starts to feel incredibly stale. You can tell it was primarily a console intended game and porting it back to PC was kinda just an afterthought.

Offline BennyJackdaw

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Meep!
    • Awards
  • Species: Giant Rat
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 12:21:08 PM »
I kind of created this new game in Oblivion called Arena Hardcore Mode. The game starts right before you leave the sewer. Make your character, then go up to fight in the Arena.

Rules
1: Any method of combat is allowed. Magic, archery, strong weapons, summoning, potions, you name it. There are no rules.
2: You can NOT leave the general area of the city. The bandit camp across the lake when you get out of the sewers and the town along the bridge outside the great city are the only exceptions.
3: You are allowed to buy weapons, items and spells inside the city, but nowhere else.
4: Your mission is to go through the entire Arena like a god. Remember, you only get one shot. If you die in the arena, you have to start all over with a new character.
5: If you die at the bandit camp or die trying to fight the law, you have to start all over with a new character.

...That's all I can think of. Going through it three times. My first time was with a brightly colored Wood Elf who used a one-handed weapon and a shield and fought with poisons. ...He could not even beat the first opponent.

My next player was a rather ugly looking Kajiit archer who also dealt in poisons, and prefered to use a bow as her only weapon. She fared a lot better, managing to make it all the way to the female Orc and her glass hammer at the end of Warrior Rank before pushing up daisies.

My current character is a chubby-faced Nord who uses a big warhammer and fire magic. He's at Myrmidon rank right now and so far that warhammer is doing some legit beatdown. I did have one close call though. I fought the Redguard who either uses a mace or a sword, and I kept fiddling with my spells trying to get them to work, and I came REALLY close to dying that fight, but I got lucky and beat him.

Offline Ayro

• Vibrating Furby
  • Warp speed, engage
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 09:00:09 PM »
Skyrim: Oh, you wanted a game about freedom and exploration in a series about freedom and exploration? Too bad, have some boring linear questing. I hate this game.

Morrowind was my first TES experience back in the day and by the nine is was a fantastic experience. Skyrim also took my fancy and I enjoyed it greatly, prehaps more so with mods, but man were those some uninteresting quests in a sparse world.

Also what happened to levitate potions and scrolls of icarian fight? I miss being on equal ground with cliff racers.