The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: I kinda need advice...  (Read 298 times)

Offline Dragonbragoshago

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • I had fun once...It was horrible
    • Awards
I kinda need advice...
« on: February 09, 2015, 01:59:33 AM »
Hello fellow furs, I have been grappling with depression and agoraphobia since I was little. it was "manageable" but it makes it hard to function because they feed into each other. It makes it very hard to wake up in the morning Normal and makes my loneliness unbearable. Today, I had to go to target due to the storm I tried to go as soon as they opened to avoid the crowds. I  when got there the store was packed. I made it through the store fine up until I had to get in line long story short I ended up having a panic attack and crying with people laughing at me. So now I barely want to be alive anymore . I wouldn't normally post this sorta thing but I feel as though I can trust you guys and I think I'm at the end of the line.

Sorry if it a little tough to read

Offline Angder

• Quizzical Quail
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Most Online Top 100 Topic Starter
  • WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Dark Blue with white fur around The palms of the Paws
  • Build: Anthro.
Re: I kinda need advice...
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 02:23:15 AM »
I have depression, and dislike crowds, though clearly not as badly as you do, so I understand what your going through

If I was able I would PM you right now to talk to you, but unfortunately its 2:15 AM here, and I need to sleep. but Know that I am willing to talk. and have some understanding as to what you are experiencing.

You are not alone.

*hugs Raven*

PM me, and I will reply at 4PM tommorow (I live in england, so that's Early morning I belive in America)

I am happy to talk.

Edit: Ok, everything I said in this post is true, but remind me not to post at 2:00 AM! I cant post well while tired  @.@
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 12:32:45 PM by Angder »
  • Avatar by: A friend of mine IRL.
Angders weapons: Blizz - Burning Frost
Retired weapons: Blizz Tempest

All weapons were drawn by Zarc.

Please note that I have very little free time on Fridays.

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 05:30:10 AM »
I had similar responses when I was younger to varying stimuli, not necessarily crowds though.

The thing I learned was to know your boundaries well, to know exactly what you can manage and can't manage and to actively avoid situations that you can't manage and to have a plan set in place if you are in a situation you can't manage. For example, trying to get to target before the crowds got there was good, so you did good in that regard because you thought before hand that there would be crowds there so you actively attempted to avoid the stimuli you already knew would be bad for you, so for that good job! But, things you haven't counted on do happen, so you may need to find a plan when you do find yourself in a situation that's not very good.

For crowded areas, I find the general idea is that there's so much going on, so much over stimulation that you can't really handle it, you can't feel safe in that situation because it's simply impossible to keep track of everything. A remedy for this that may help is to just focus on one thing when in a crowded situation, just one thing. For example, if you are in a line, just focus on  the person in front of you. Look at his back, what shirt is he wearing? What material is it made of? What kind of pattern does it have? What is he doing? Is he on his phone? Is he talking? Listen in to his conversation, see what he's talking about (but don't talk to him or anything, just quietly listen). Only focus on HIM and him alone, no one else, just try to intently focus on him. Obviously don't just stare at his face cause that might make him uncomfortable, but just be a quiet observer, attempting to get as much information about this person as you can until he goes away and its your turn to do the line. Focusing on one thing will help drown out everything else and may stop the overstimulation.
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline George

• The Cyan
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • "Don't be square, be cube"
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Baja Blast
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: Almost 200 lbs
  • Build: A bit soft
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 09:37:14 PM »
I have no experience with this sort of thing, but on anoni's point, do you have any mobile games? (Like a DS or something) Focusing on that might help, but as I said, I haven't really experienced this so I'm just saying what MIGHT help.

Offline Dragonbragoshago

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • I had fun once...It was horrible
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 10:21:20 PM »
Thank you guys very much for you're advice. I did use to have tiny stuffed animal on my keying I would squeeze to calm me down but they got ruined from my job. I will try what you suggested anoni.

Offline Twilight Rose

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Folf/Snow Leopard
  • Coloring: Black and silver/Black and red
  • Height: ~5'9"
  • Weight: ~150lbs
  • Build: Lean, fairly muscular
  • Currently: I don't even know
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 06:16:59 AM »
I know this feeling all too well. The main lobby of my college is kinda centric to moving around, and it randomly gets so packed that I have a panic attack. Just the other day I had to ditch a friend and go outside, crouch with my head between my knees and my hands over my head and just breath, because one started. For me, the air feels thin, like there's no oxygen, and I can't breathe. I rarely get to the crying point anymore, but I can't move once one kicks in... I generally have to force my breath under control or deal with it.
"I am a servant of the world. And if I am a servant, then you should consider yourself a tool, at best."
~DiZ, Kingdom Hearts II