The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Thoughts on a secondary $300 gaming computer.  (Read 1363 times)

Offline Dax Declan

• Headphone Guy
  • Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • Mr. Misty-Eyed
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Purple-bluish
  • Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 140
  • Build: Slim but toned
  • Reference: [link]
Thoughts on a secondary $300 gaming computer.
« on: January 30, 2015, 12:21:54 PM »
Sometime in the future I plan on building myself a "boson" as austinnotduncan.com calls it. So what do you guys think of it? http://austinnotduncan.com/builds/boson/

Keep in mind I already have a main computer that is far better than this one. This one is purely for some coop gaming in the same house or just gaming somewhere else tha my living room
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 12:24:29 PM by daxdeclan »
I don't roleplay In any shape or form.

Offline Nicholas Scribetail

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • DeviantArt
    • My Tumblr
    • Awards
  • Species: North American River Otter
  • Build: Swimmer
Re: Thoughts on a secondary $300 gaming computer.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 08:06:19 AM »
Having a secondary or tertiary computer isn't a bad idea, be it for splitting up processes or putting computers in multiple rooms. That being said, if you have the hardware for it you should probably use it to your advantage for gaming on your current computer. For me, my secondary computer was built using spare parts, and I use it as a Linux machine for coding, web access, and even mid-level gaming (I put a less than $100 AMD card in it, and it still runs programs like Second Life on High graphics with little-to-no hiccup, along with steam games developed to run on a Linux platform).

The best part is, it's still a custom computer, so if down the line you maybe want to set it up for LAN games with a roommate/partner/guest, you can always upgrade the components (Just don't cheap out on the motherboard and make sure your PSU can handle the more demanding hardware). Just keep in mind that due to how often new technologies and architectures are developed in the hardware industry, prices will fluctuate; chances are good that the hardware for this "Boson" computer described in that article from July may have better components at cheaper prices by now. As long as you know what you're doing (and I've run into just as many people who don't as I have people who do), you can build and upgrade computers for whatever your needs may be.

EDIT: Something I should mention is that I personally don't trust the author of the video, as some of the thing's he's said in other videos just aren't accurate (for example, do NOT waste your money with windows 8; it's a great OS for tablets because that's what the architecture was built around, but it's a horrible OS on Laptop/Desktops. EVERY person I've known who had windows 8 on a non-tablet device has had it completely **censor** itself (meaning the only fix was to re-install the OS, loosing their data most if not all of the time)).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 08:24:42 AM by Nicholas Scribetail »

Offline saph the sergal

• Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • a derpy sergal
    • Awards
  • Species: aussie sergal
  • Coloring: black and purple
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 50 kilograms
  • Build: in shape
  • Currently: hello darkness my old friend
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 08:29:21 AM »
i wouldn't know if i need it i have my current one and asoon as i get a new one that i want its getting the job of capture streaming and media box is i so want it so my opinion do what you want im planing on having pc's where i need them some even are small compact cube ones for mounting behind a tv for a media box and ill do that aswell because i want movies on demand i watch youtube alot so when i get my little media box that will have wireless keyboard and mouse heck right now with my current build the desk i have any my screens are right next to my bed along with mouse and keyboard because thats how i use my pc
on land line is a inanimate object under water it has a life of its own

i have a very dry sense of humor be careful around me :D

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 03:35:50 PM »
(for example, do NOT waste your money with windows 8; it's a great OS for tablets because that's what the architecture was built around, but it's a horrible OS on Laptop/Desktops. EVERY person I've known who had windows 8 on a non-tablet device has had it completely **censor** itself (meaning the only fix was to re-install the OS, loosing their data most if not all of the time)).
I don't agree. I use Windows 8 on both my desktop and laptop and find it much better than Windows 7. I don't know what these people have done to mess up their install but please try and explain -how- it messed up. For all I know it be user error.

On topic: Given the price it looks alright. You don't really have many options at that price point however. That said it really depends on what you're more specifically going to use it for; The graphics card is alright, it should run your basic low-demand stuff without too much issue. Just don't expect a lot however, the performance should probably be similar to your average mid-tier laptop. High demand games like Battlefield and many other modern shooters it may struggle with even on the lowest graphics settings.
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline White Wolf Guardian

• Wolgon Hat
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Received through special limited time events Top 10 Poster This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I'm a wolgon!
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf Dragon (Wolgon)
  • Coloring: White and Blue
  • Height: 10' long or 7' tall
  • Weight: 400lbs or 250lbs
  • Build: Thin
  • Currently: Healed up
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 05:45:03 PM »
Using 8.1 myself, I don't bother with the "Windows" key anymore, but 8.1 works pretty well. If you mod your desktop to include the search option, it's really good :P.

Don't worry, Windows 10 is on the way!
  • Signature art by: FluffyGorer

Offline Syfaro

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • foxfoxfox
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Contact Me
    • Awards
  • Coloring: Purple
  • Height: 5'
  • Currently: fox
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 01:02:30 AM »

4GB of RAM is kinda on the low end, 8GB is pretty much a starting point nowadays :p
My system is using 3.4GB just for a few Chrome tabs and foobar.

Don't worry, Windows 10 is on the way!

Windows 10 <3

It looks nicer and seems to work better than 8.1, been using it on my desktop as a daily driver for a few months now.

Still doesn't do everything I need it to, but that's because Windows has an awful base and there's no good command line stuff for developer tools for what I do :/
Oh well, still runs smoother than any Linux distro I've tried.

Offline Dax Declan

• Headphone Guy
  • Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • Mr. Misty-Eyed
    • Awards
  • Coloring: Purple-bluish
  • Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 140
  • Build: Slim but toned
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 08:22:35 PM »
After some thinking I've updated my build. It costs $100 more though.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/B3FgHx
Keep in mind I already a monitor and mouse and keyboard.

EDIT: I also already have. 750gb hard drive
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 08:25:55 PM by daxdeclan »
I don't roleplay In any shape or form.

Offline Zarconite

• Hug Enthusiast
  • Jovial Jaguar
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 50 Most Online This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • May or may not be a demon
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf / Fox Hybrid
  • Coloring: Grey / White / Blue
  • Height: 5' 7"
  • Weight: 170
  • Currently: I think I'm finished here, I may pop up from time to time though
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 08:23:31 PM »
I'll have a quick look over the build and probably send you another list in a moment

-----

After looking over the list, I dont really see much, if anything anything to change.
You could go for a FX6300 as it has more overall power than the FX4350, but most games can't utilize 6 cores
If it were me, I'd go for a case and power supply separately so that I knew what I was getting but thats just preference
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 08:31:55 PM by Zarconite »
  • Avatar by: Commision by Nimroderick
  • Signature art by: Myself - so that its easier for me to tell which posts are mine