The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Fen's drawings. :3  (Read 5602 times)

Offline NautilusWolf

• Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online
  • Self proclaimed AK god for the next hour or so.
    • Awards
  • Species: SeaWolf
  • Coloring: Gray with white skull
  • Height: 5'11/180cm
  • Weight: Wouldn't you like to know?
  • Currently: Holy applesauce I still exist here.
Re: Fen's drawings. :3
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2015, 02:05:34 AM »
I hate to throw my hat into the ring, but I agree with Zaida. I'm no artist by any means, but what your saying is like telling me I'm cheating at learning guitar by playing Master of Puppets by Metallica. He's not claiming they're his, and he's even showing us the original. He's not distributing them for profit either. He's simply learning. Tracing is like practicing chords. Once your muscle memory takes hold of the shapes/chords, you can bend them into something new and original by you.
  • Avatar by: Not me, that's for sure.
In the depths lies the thing that should not be.

Offline Dax Declan

• Headphone Guy
  • Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • Mr. Misty-Eyed
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Purple-bluish
  • Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 140
  • Build: Slim but toned
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2015, 03:34:13 AM »
I understand where Zahrah is coming from. Art is a bit of a different situation than musician then I for think a band would want you to take there songs then just tweak a few chords and words.
I don't roleplay In any shape or form.

Offline NautilusWolf

• Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2015, 03:37:04 AM »
Say that to Lars Ulrich.

METALLICA ain't what it used to be. T_T

Offline Fenox Helkiin

• Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • I like being a pet. :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox/husky/snow leopard
  • Height: 6ft 2
  • Weight: ~13st
  • Build: Toned
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2015, 08:00:19 AM »
I'm just gonna say that I shall not do traces anymore then. If it's gonna cause arguments then f**k it.
Guess it's back to drawing free hand for me. :/
  • Signature art by: Jack Cringer

Offline George

• The Cyan
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • "Don't be square, be cube"
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Baja Blast
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: Almost 200 lbs
  • Build: A bit soft
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2015, 09:21:11 AM »
 Dude, there's no reason to stop if you're making things people enjoy. (even if it was just you)

Also, some amazing works were traces.

It's only bad to trace if you claim to have drawn it yourself.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 09:23:13 AM by BillyBobJoeGeorge »

Offline Fenox Helkiin

• Gregarious Gnu
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2015, 09:23:17 AM »

Dude, there's no reason to stop if you're making things people enjoy. (even if it was just you)
Yeah I know. I just don't want to be the cause of an argument. I hate arguments as it is.

Offline George

• The Cyan
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • "Don't be square, be cube"
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Baja Blast
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: Almost 200 lbs
  • Build: A bit soft
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2015, 09:23:45 AM »

Yeah I know. I just don't want to be the cause of an argument. I hate arguments as it is.

Don't let them bother you, there will always be haters.

Offline Fenox Helkiin

• Gregarious Gnu
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2015, 09:24:09 AM »
True.

Offline Grey

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 10 Most Online
  • Imma wolfcoon!
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Awards
  • Species: A wolfcoon!
  • Coloring: Mostly grey, with varying shades
  • Height: 5ft, 3in
  • Weight: 7st
  • Build: Slim, short, fluffy
  • Currently: Relieved and happy!
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2015, 09:27:44 AM »
Thing is, what he's tracing isn't free lines. It's someone else's art and he's probably not asking permission either. If my art was traced, I wouldn't be happy about it and I've seen a lot of others who wouldn't either because they worked really hard on it. Free line art also has limits sometimes as well. Some say not to alter the lines and other's say it's okay. Tracing is cheating and stealing to be honest.

So by that logic Leonardo Da Vinci is a cheat and an art thief. Nearly all artists start of by tracing the work of other in order to improve. Without point of reference it is very hard to learn new art styles, and even develop your own. There have been plenty of great artists that have begun their career by tracing and using other's art.

I'm just gonna say that I shall not do traces anymore then. If it's gonna cause arguments then f**k it.
Guess it's back to drawing free hand for me. :/

I would say keep tracing. It's a good way to learn, as long as the original artist gets their nod to, which you have been doing. People who say that tracing is a bad and dishonist thing to do. So, does that mean my teachers and fellow pupils at school were dishonist because they were told to use great artists' work to learn?

Art is there to be shown to others and inspire. That also includes tracing. (I do however dispise tracing other's work without the tracer showing credit where credit is due. Fen has been giving the artists credit and therefor has done nothing wrong in my book)
People make omellettes with butter? Ew!

Offline Fenox Helkiin

• Gregarious Gnu
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2015, 09:29:33 AM »
Thanks Grey.

Offline TMAlt

• Avid Aardvark
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Lioness
  • Coloring: Light Tan with white belly, fingers, and toes.
  • Height: 5'2"
  • Weight: 184 lbs
  • Build: Hourglass, chubby
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2015, 02:46:08 PM »
Wow hate train. Yeah I'm an artist and I obviously don't get it, right? Yeah don't think about what the artist would feel if they saw they're hard work traced. Learn to draw by studying, not tracing. That's what I did. Referencing is perfectly fine. Start with drawing what you see and then try to get your style. I worked for years on my art without tracing. I'm sure you could do it too. It'll definitely feel better when you improve and say that you didn't rely on tracing. If you're gonna keep tracing, at least talk to the artist first.

Offline Farewell

• Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 10 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster
    • Awards
Fen's drawings. :3
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2015, 02:54:41 PM »
Dude stop, I swear just let fen do what he wants, he's not tracing your work so calm yourself. No need to argue guys :/ don't worry about it fen ignore the haters X3
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 02:57:02 PM by Zaida tsuki »

Offline TMAlt

• Avid Aardvark
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Lioness
  • Coloring: Light Tan with white belly, fingers, and toes.
  • Height: 5'2"
  • Weight: 184 lbs
  • Build: Hourglass, chubby
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2015, 03:01:44 PM »
I wasn't trying to start an argument at all. Tracing has been a problem for a lot of artists and I thought I'd say something about it. I honestly wouldn't want to see my work traced and neither would most other artists. People have been suspended and banned from FA AND DA because of it so obviously people don't like it. Which is what brings me to referencing. Referencing and study is used by most artists until they have an understanding and feel they can move on to drawing their own art. But if someone insists on continuing to trace, I say at least talk the artist about it before doing it. They will say whether or not it's okay, but at least consider how they feel.

Offline NautilusWolf

• Influential Ibex
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2015, 08:26:00 PM »
I'll be honest, I understand exactly where you're coming from, but is what he's doing hurting anyone? He's just tracing to build precision, not to spite anyone. He's not even distributing for profit, or claiming the works were his. He even showed the original. Nobody's being hated on, we all seem to just be lost in translation with what we mean. I, for instance, practice guitar by playing Master Of Puppets by Metallica. As for having to acquire permission to use ones work for simple practicing purposes, I doubt Lars would let me even if I could call Metallica and be like, "hey, gonna practice playing Master Of Puppets to get better at playing guitar so I can eventually write my own stuff." It's impossible. For two reasons, Copyright is very heavily covered by Metallica because Lars threw an (understandable, yet immature) tantrum over Napster. The reason they had a problem is because it was offered for free, when originally you had to pay. Did he have to pay to use them as reference/trace work? No. So really, isn't this uproar kinda silly and unnecessary?

Offline Dax Declan

• Headphone Guy
  • Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • Mr. Misty-Eyed
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Purple-bluish
  • Height: 6'1"
  • Weight: 140
  • Build: Slim but toned
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2015, 08:29:29 PM »
She didn't mean to start an uproar she meant to just say that the artists might not appreciate it. These people aren't famous world renowned artists. So if someone were to see a traced picture they might get the wrong idea.
I don't roleplay In any shape or form.