The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The DAW  (Read 1103 times)

Offline Bronies are cool

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Awards
The DAW
« on: August 24, 2014, 06:36:39 AM »
DAW: Digital Audio Workstation
Does anyone else work with one?

I use fl studio 11.0.2 to create noises that form music.
Basically, I'm an electronic musician.
I use the same program as Deadmau5 and porter Robinson and Avicci.

Does anyone have any recommendations on other DAWs?
I produce electronic music. I'm not amazing but i have fun doing it

Offline Kozy

• Boisterous Bear
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox :3
  • Coloring: Milk chocolate w/ darker tips, spring green eyes, lighter creamish bib and belly
  • Build: Chibi / slim quadrupedal
  • Currently: Shy / Lonely
The DAW
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 01:37:56 AM »
I have one I don't use it. It was a birthday present. I aim to learn as part of a bonus music course online but it probably won't involve the program that I have. To be honest, I'm more into classical music that's both detailed, harmonious and incidental (gives the effect of life to me and I love that). I'm not sure how to get electronic to do the same impression but may be some future genre will enable that. I am, myself, curious about the best DAW for such.

I have FL Studio... 10 I think, though I think it has free updates. I hear house / techno musicians prefer Ableton and Logic Studio, FL Studio more for more raw / hard techno / breakbeat stuff, etc. There's also Cubase but I heard its more geared up towards ambient / post-rock production.

I should think it depends what you want, there's plenty musicians that vary use. I'd also consider basing use on your system specs, I imagine audio processing to be heavier for the average sound card than visual processing is to the average video card.

Hope this helps.

Offline Bronies are cool

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
Re: The DAW
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 03:32:00 AM »
I have one I don't use it. It was a birthday present. I aim to learn as part of a bonus music course online but it probably won't involve the program that I have. To be honest, I'm more into classical music that's both detailed, harmonious and incidental (gives the effect of life to me and I love that). I'm not sure how to get electronic to do the same impression but may be some future genre will enable that. I am, myself, curious about the best DAW for such.

I have FL Studio... 10 I think, though I think it has free updates. I hear house / techno musicians prefer Ableton and Logic Studio, FL Studio more for more raw / hard techno / breakbeat stuff, etc. There's also Cubase but I heard its more geared up towards ambient / post-rock production.

I should think it depends what you want, there's plenty musicians that vary use. I'd also consider basing use on your system specs, I imagine audio processing to be heavier for the average sound card than visual processing is to the average video card.

Hope this helps.
So
The great thing about fl studio is that you can use it for any genre of music.  Including classical.
I know that porter Robinson has created classicalusic with fl studio (look him up and his song "sea of voices")
and a lot of classical music is actually created electronically. It just takes a little bit of know just (like learning to make any other genre.)
I would recommend looking up this guy TheDashDub because he makes classical music thats also made using a DAW. (he is going by Chris Heron now but you will find him easier by searching TheDashDub) And look at his bandcamp.com page because his last couple of albums are purely classical and piano medly.
Another guy who makes classical music a little mixed with heavy Drum and Bass is Muzzy (he is a monstercat artist) and another guy who mixes electronic with classical is Vicetone.

Fl studio does give you free updates and upgrades which is certainly a plus. I would recmomend using the Producer Edition of the program if you ever get serious about making music.
Look at a lot of youtube tutorials too and never quit.

I love listenign to classical music quite a bit actually and think that its really good to learn how to make classical music before learning how to make electronic music.

Offline Kozy

• Boisterous Bear
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox :3
  • Coloring: Milk chocolate w/ darker tips, spring green eyes, lighter creamish bib and belly
  • Build: Chibi / slim quadrupedal
  • Currently: Shy / Lonely
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 04:28:10 AM »
I see ^^ the thing is when I listen to classical my ear enjoys hearing the realistic dynamics of all the timbres, the resonance of instruments bouncing off each other in their own space, tonal energy, the real echoes, the feeling put into each live instrument, the rustling of sheets turning and coughs and breaths, the uncompressed sonic depth. I also love the more older artists like Beethoven, Leopold Mozart, Ludolf Nielsen, Holst, Ralph Williams rather than the electronic stuff, with which to my highly detail and impact seeking ears is something that just cannot be recreated in electronic music. Such intricacy would require much intricacy and horsepower and programming and composing such would be a nightmare. I also prefer the possibility of live improvisation. I want real classical music, high class, best of the best, anti-romanticist. But the thing is I can't, even to learn to is a near impossible experience it's not really my aim in life but a source of enjoyment. I also see songs as improvable and I dream sometimes of doing that. I want music that can make others happy, make others feel the good emotions classical gave me, but for the future world. I imagine an advanced psychedelic ambient/trance genre would be workable but if I had to do techno I'd rather use happy sounding hardstyle as a medium because I love communicating that powerful energy, I become it when I hear it and it becomes me. I've sensitive ears though, no rave music for me x3

Offline Bronies are cool

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 04:50:05 AM »
I see ^^ the thing is when I listen to classical my ear enjoys hearing the realistic dynamics of all the timbres, the resonance of instruments bouncing off each other in their own space, tonal energy, the real echoes, the feeling put into each live instrument, the rustling of sheets turning and coughs and breaths, the uncompressed sonic depth. I also love the more older artists like Beethoven, Leopold Mozart, Ludolf Nielsen, Holst, Ralph Williams rather than the electronic stuff, with which to my highly detail and impact seeking ears is something that just cannot be recreated in electronic music. Such intricacy would require much intricacy and horsepower and programming and composing such would be a nightmare. I also prefer the possibility of live improvisation. I want real classical music, high class, best of the best, anti-romanticist. But the thing is I can't, even to learn to is a near impossible experience it's not really my aim in life but a source of enjoyment. I also see songs as improvable and I dream sometimes of doing that. I want music that can make others happy, make others feel the good emotions classical gave me, but for the future world. I imagine an advanced psychedelic ambient/trance genre would be workable but if I had to do techno I'd rather use happy sounding hardstyle as a medium because I love communicating that powerful energy, I become it when I hear it and it becomes me. I've sensitive ears though, no rave music for me x3
one thing that gets me is when people say that you can't make electronic music orchestras and have it sound like a natural real orchestra. (i'm not mad or anything  btw)
People who dont work with DAWs dont know that you can in fact make music and have it sound just like an orchestra. however the drawback is that a lot of people dont want to have that same sound or that people dont know how to make it. So, yes it is possible to do it, but most people dont on purpose.
now, that being said, now you know that synthetic music can have the sound you like, but the artists typically choose to not have that sound.

I would like to recommend an artist for you if you like the older classical artists, Haywyre. He makes music using a keyboard hooked up to a computer (called a Midi device) and he improvises and records a lot of work. he has training in classical music. Often he combines it with dubstep, but he also has a few tracks solely classical. (I think he uses a program other than fl, but it still sounds really good.)