The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Icy Destination  (Read 4706 times)

Offline Aldrea945

• Jovial Jaguar
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • A whole world ahead of me to do stupid things.
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Tiger/raven mix
  • Coloring: Gold and black fur seguing into black feathers
  • Height: 5 foot.
  • Weight: 220 pounds of fur and feathers
  • Build: Strong, lean, and agile. Built more for hunting or long range battle than heavy weapons or close range.
  • Currently: I shall live again! (Maybe.)
Icy Destination
« on: February 28, 2014, 10:03:16 PM »
Clockwork towers and old steam factories rose on either side of Mason Street, silent after four centuries of hissing and ticking.  Paper and litter blew across the cobblestones, empty of people but for the worst off.  Rachel sighed, heading back for the docks, and for home, from the market.  Just two years back, this place had been bustling and busy with workers and merchants.  Now, the cold and advancing glaciers had forced people to move into the new part of Ruinse.

Birds, nesting in the top floor of the old school, flew just above her in thick clusters as she turned in the docks.  Of the old Ruinse area, only the docks and a few small businesses remained open.  Every one of them overlooked the twisted canal and airship cliff, where the less fortunate runners still came for cheap ale and low dock prices.  Rachel was among them, not that she minded.  Old Cindy's had decent food, so it wasn't all bad.

Her own ship looked like a gem among the ships docked, even patched and scorched on one side.  She gleamed in the sunlight and Rachel smiled at fond memories.  Taneris.  As dear to her as a sister, she worked and saved every dime she had for four long years for the old rust bucket.  It took another three months for the engine and new rudder, but it never mattered.  Taneris meant freedom.  Safety.  She meant life to Rachel, and once she got the new assignment from Creya, they'd be back to that life again.  Rachel walked over to the old beauty and touched her metal hull.  "Soon, we'll be out again."

(Note: We are still open for applications.  :) )
I have an angry teddy bear with a flamethrower and a bad temper.

He's not as cute as Lucifer said he'd be, but at least the chainsaw is hidden.

Offline Scout Brighton

• Boisterous Bear
  • Don't be shy! I already am... .-.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: White Tigress
  • Coloring: White, Neon Green, Neon Pink
  • Height: 5' 2'
  • Weight: 105 lbs.
  • Build: Small
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: This world is dangerous...but so beautiful...
Re: Icy Destination
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 12:44:51 AM »
Directly across Rachel and The Taneris stood an older, more busted up airship, being worked on.
"Yes, sir...! Of course..."  A semi-deep slight british voice uttered as Scout unboreded the busted airship.
Walking off of the airship, he noticed many workers and dockers traveling across the dock, ship to ship.
But this one particular Tiger seemed to catch his attention. Her face had sorrow in as she held the ships hull.
There didn't seem to be many people around her or on the airship she was holding. Should he approach her? Should he say something?
He slowly approached the Tiger from behind, the wind picking up, blowing his cloak slightly.
"Miss...?" Scout asked in a concerned voice. "Is everything alright...?" He paused.
"Is this your airship...?" He asked, taking a step closer behind the tiger.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 02:20:52 AM by Scout Brighton »
Several pens escape these words, but I guess that doesn't matter 'cause they'll be heard anyway, someday, if I could just find a way to explain...
Blank sheets of paper avoiding lines, but I guess I'll confess when time is right...
Little lies that I've lived with everyday...

Offline Grrxmaster

• Grrxy Gruntleton
  • Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • The one and only Heavy Metal Hippy.
    • Grrxy's Youtube
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Height: Big.
  • Build: Hairy.
  • Currently: I'm back!
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 02:09:50 AM »
Friedrich sighed with relief. The end of the day had come for him. He'd just finished insulating the Silverstein family greenhouse. The steady cold had caused a great many of the plants to begin wilting. It was lucky that they'd had the greenhouse at all. Many other farmers and gardeners were struggling to keep their crops alive, let alone healthy. His elder siblings would be able to mind the young ones, so he could slip off to the tavern. He hungered for a meal, and thirsted for some booze. It was a bit of a routine of his, and his favourite haunting place was Old Cindy's, down by the airship docks. It was relatively cheap, and he loved to see the ships come in. There was always a new one in, carrying exotic goods or people. He wouldn't admit it to his parents, but he desired to sail off in one of those ships one day, and see the world. He shook his head; enough daydreaming, and began to walk down towards the docks.
In Flames we trust.

Offline Suzumibachii

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online
    • Awards
  • Species: Reptilian(Iguana/Bearded Dragon)
  • Coloring: Light Green Scales covering her entire body
  • Height: 1.56 Meters
  • Weight: 56Kg's
  • Build: Slim/Athletic
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 11:52:09 AM »
Abbygael sat at her desk by a window overlooking the tavern and the docks, the silence that had befallen this part of the city was almost sickening to her, no longer the sound of hissing steam and bustling people that used to make her feel cozy in the tiny apartment she called home. Not that she needed alot of space, just a place to sleep, cook and tinker was more than enough.She didnt move out when most others did, the docks paid her a fair amount of money to use her skills and that pay in turn funded her some would say obsessive need to tinker and construct.

Grabbing her tool bag she sighed softly and peered from her window seeing the new looking gem of an airship docked there. "What I would do to work on that beauty..." she said softly before walking downstairs tot he tavern to grab a bite to eat and ask any of the dockworkers if there was any repairs that needed to be done.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 12:03:38 PM by Suzumibachii »

Offline Kaya

• Quizzical Quail
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Poster Top 100 Most Online
  • B3 l00k1n L1k3 D4ng H3'2 Fly
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: dragon with feathered wings
  • Coloring: Green eyes, purple and blue hair to her mid back purple and blue scales on her body
  • Height: 5' 10''
  • Weight: 120lbs
  • Build: alletically built
  • Currently: Nursing a cracked spine and busted right hip
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 08:25:25 PM »
Nettie watched from behind some old broken down crates at the different ship hands. She watched with a keen eye as she followed the motions of their hands waiting to see if they cast off anything. Anything at all that could be pawned off for money, for  she was hungry. The money she boosted off of some rich snob was only enough for lunch. It was nice, but she was still hungry and needed to get some coin.

Nettie was thankful for her thick fur but she still needed to get cash to pay for some scraps of fabric. She didn't necessarily like stealing from people but the winters were getting even more fierce than they had been in years. The storms lasted longer and had gotten worse in intensity. She missed the old days when the docks were full of unsuspecting easy targets, now days it seemed everyone had landed on lean times. Nettie watched gleefully as a newer, shiny, ship docked. She was about ready to approach the Snow leopard/Tiger mix, who was lovingly patting the ships hull, but she noticed that there was someone else already approaching her.
  • Signature art by: me
you can always return to the land of goodness. the road is paved with many challenges, but the most rewarding paths are not always the easiest.

Offline Grrxmaster

• Grrxy Gruntleton
  • Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Grrxy's Youtube
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 03:59:12 AM »
Friedrich had reached the docks. He decided it would be better to see the ships before he ate, before the light began to fade. Most of the vessels were in various states of disrepair. It seemed they got more beat up with every trip they made. He found it hard to imagine how they got so damaged when they could soar above the tallest mountain.
He was looking from side to side, watching the few remaining sailors unloading cargo and crew alike, when he bumped into someone. "Oof! Oh.. oh dear, sorry!", he said quickly, flustered at his failure to notice the small, scruffy, seemingly young cat he had nearly bowled over.
In Flames we trust.

Offline Aldrea945

• Jovial Jaguar
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Build: Strong, lean, and agile. Built more for hunting or long range battle than heavy weapons or close range.
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 02:18:10 PM »
Rachel looked up, not startled, but not expecting someone.  She smiled as she turned.  "Hm?  Oh, yes, don't worry.  I'm just thinking," she said, ears flicking as the wind picked up.  The early winter sun was setting to the west, throwing gold light on the copper plated ships and shipmates coming and going from their ships to the bars.  Alarm struck through Rachel.  She hadn't even realized how late it was.  She'd be late for her appointment!

Rachel covered her alarm with a smile.  "I'm quite sorry, but I really must be going.  I promised a friend I'd meet them before the sun went down.  Happy flying, sweety," she hurried through, heading for the street and waving.

Offline Suzumibachii

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online
    • Awards
  • Species: Reptilian(Iguana/Bearded Dragon)
  • Coloring: Light Green Scales covering her entire body
  • Height: 1.56 Meters
  • Weight: 56Kg's
  • Build: Slim/Athletic
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 02:22:12 PM »
Stepping out from the tavern before looking at the sun setting the lizard frowned a little looking at the airship still sitting in the docks. "A real shame I couldnt find the captain of that ship. I would have fixed those patches for free even. Oh well another day i guess." Walking though hte empty streets simply lost in thought as her tools hung from her belt and plans filled her mind. "I need to make modifications to her tonight..."

Offline Scout Brighton

• Boisterous Bear
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 08:42:57 PM »
"Yes, miss, my apologies...!" Scout responded to the Tiger as she hurried off. Watching the Tiger rush, he overheard the lizard. Calling out to her as he saw her turn around and walk away as well... "Uh...miss? The captain just--ah...she can't hear me..." He muttered to himself as he looked down, pulling his hood back down in front of his left eye, turning around looking at the sun set. His cloak flew in the heavy wind as he watched. He sighed to himself, turning to the small town. "Well...might as well get to know the place while I'm here..." He said to himself, starting to walk to the exit of the docks.
Several pens escape these words, but I guess that doesn't matter 'cause they'll be heard anyway, someday, if I could just find a way to explain...
Blank sheets of paper avoiding lines, but I guess I'll confess when time is right...

Offline Kaya

• Quizzical Quail
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Poster Top 100 Most Online
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Coloring: Green eyes, purple and blue hair to her mid back purple and blue scales on her body
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 12:34:26 PM »
Nettie mews in surprise as she falls face first into the ground. She quickly turns over and flattens her ears as she looks up at the looming figure. She though she heard him say something but she was caught off guard and she absolutely hated being caught off guard. She quickly reached into her pocket and held tightly to a small metal screwdriver she had found earlier in the day. Nettie really wanted to get away but she hoped she hadn't made to much noise to alert the tiger that she was there. She quickly sized up the newcomer and seamed to wilt. She knew if it came down to a confrontation she would have to run, so she let go of the small screw driver and withdrew her hand from her pocket. There was no way that she would be able to face off against someone twice her size in girth and in height. Nettie swished her tail nervously and made her eyes wider.

"I... I am terribly sorry sir.. if.. if these are your crates.. I.. I'll get going.. I was just curious about the new ship you see.. I didn't mean to trespass I promise."

If her normal trickery didn't work she knew there was going to be problems...
you can always return to the land of goodness. the road is paved with many challenges, but the most rewarding paths are not always the easiest.

Offline Grrxmaster

• Grrxy Gruntleton
  • Avid Aardvark
    • Grrxy's Youtube
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 12:44:25 PM »
Freidrich offered her a hand in helping her up. "Oh, dear, no, I'm just passing through. To be honest, I was looking at the ships myself.". Rich looked her up and down. "A bit down on your luck, are you?", Friedrich reached into his pocket and pulled out a coin purse. He fished out a few coins, and held them out to her. "Here, it's not much, but you can at least get a meal from it."
In Flames we trust.

Offline Aldrea945

• Jovial Jaguar
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 04:19:33 AM »
Rachel panted as she ran, paws thudding on the cobblestone.  Cold, deep red light from the setting sun set the buildings alight, reflecting in the windows and washing the grey stone in vibrant oranges.  Under different circumstances, she may have enjoyed the light, but Creya was adamant she needed to be on time today.  She hadn't said why, but the message had been clear.

The building Creya used as an office, two stories and worn heavily in the wind and rain, stood ahead.  The bottom floor was actually the office.  The top had been converted to her living quarters, to keep from having to spend more money on transit and pain in the cold.  Rachel'd been invited up before, just once.  She winced at the memory, slowly as she came to the stairs.  It was so barren, like Creya had only just moved from her parents' house.  Creya had mentioned she sold a lot of things during the hard times.  It had showed.

Rachel pushed the heavy oak door in, wiping her boots on the welcome mat.  The little waiting room, previously the foyer of a home, sat empty in the light of the white oil lamps and red sunset, now greying in the upper reaches.  The receptionist, an old friend to Creya, sat at her little desk, typing away on her typewriter.  De'sive.

De'sive smiled brightly as she looked up.  "Rachel, darling!  I was beginning to think you'd taken a wrong turn.  How are you, sweetheart?" she nearly cooed.  Rachel smiled.  She always loved being around De'sive.  She was like a mother, in an odd sort of way.  So happy to see Rachel every time they met up, always open to tell and hear stories...

Rachel set her coat on the rack.  "I'm good, thank you.  I heard Creya was expecting me?" she said, motioning habitually to hall.  She noted in the back of her mind that the job board on the wall was rather empty.  She must have dodged the rush.

De'sive nodded.  "Right on into the office.  Don't keep her waiting.  It sounded urgent, darling."  She glanced at the door as Rachel signed in, setting a few dollars on the counter for De'sive.  "And please, do be careful.  I know you're something of a target to those down on their luck."

Rachel started for the office, smile still in place.  "Thanks for the worry, De'sive.  I'll watch my back."

The old carpet had long since been torn up, and the wood floors left instead.  Her boots thudded on the wood floor, somehow making the silence all the more deafening in the rooms around her.  Wall sconces - filled with candles instead of oil - lit the hall just barely.  Cold light filtered into the remade bedroom ahead, into the office where she could hear indistinct mumbling from Creya.  Likely pouring over reports and such, Rachel thought.  Creya had several runners that worked for her and usually spent hours figuring everything out from them.

Rachel stopped in the doorway and knocked softly on the doorframe.  The bull inside startled at her desk, dropping her pen and whipping around.  Bloodshot eyes softened only when they seemed to recognize the furred face gazing at her in concern, reflecting the train of thought racing through Rachel's head.  Rachel strongly considered getting her a mug of warm tea and helping Creya over to the chair in the corner, warmed by the lit fireplace.  Creya smiled tiredly as Rachel approached.  "My favorite runner.  I was getting worried.  Why don't you sit, Rachel?  I have much I want to discuss," Creya said, motioning to the chair across from her.  Rachel instead took the chance to rub Creya's shoulders.

She gazed down at the older woman, longing to hug her instead but knowing Creya hated that.  "Creya, you look awful.  Have you rested at all?" she said softly.

Creya shook her head.  "I have too much to do, sweetheart.  This new offer is too important to rest on.  Please, sit."  Once again, Creya motioned to the other chair, putting some papers in their folders.  Rachel sighed and did as told.  Creya took the chance to speak a bit more on the topic.  "Sweetheart, you know you're my best runner.  You've always made a veritable fortune for what you're given, and always come back in one piece," she said.  Rachel saw her wince at the mention and looked away.  Tanner had always been clumsy, but to fall over the railing in battle...  It was still a sore spot to bring up his recent death in the lower reaches of the continent.  Creya took a deep breath to steady herself and took Rachel's hands.  "This is going to put even you to the test, if you accept.  You'll be fighting people off like crazy, you'll be dealing with the weather..."

Rachel tried to give a reassuring smile.  "Whatever it is, you already know I'll take it," she said, squeezing Creya's hands.

Creya smiled.  "I know."  She let go of the tiger's paws and pushed the documents forward.  Rachel had to strain to read the lettering in the dim light of the office, even with the fire nearby.  "Lucinda Tresina: Prison Transfer", it read.  Creya continued on.  "You will be moving a dangerous prisoner, a mass murderer and cutthroat, from the local prison to a remote secondary transport in Trival.  The Taneris will be fitted with proper quarters, holding cells, and flightsail at no cost to you, and yes, the pay is more than substantial.  A worthy crew is being found as we speak.  You were the last piece," she said.  The tiredness in her eyes dulled a bit, enough to let her relief shine through.  Everything was in place.

Rachel couldn't stop herself, hugging Creya across the table in joy.  "I'll do everything needed.  Thank you," she said, only barely managing to keep her voice from carrying.

Creya didn't pull away this time, smiling softly and patting Rachel's back.  "There's one more thing.  Because I have been the most heavily informed and have training in subduing enemies, I've been asked to join your ship.  I hope that's-"

"Never.  That's never a problem.  You can stay in the captain's area too," Rachel said, sitting back and smiling brightly.  Creya chuckled.

"I don't know about that, but we'll jump that hurtle when we get there.  Right now, it's late, I'm tired, you're probably tired...  Why don't I make us something warm before you head to your ship?  My treat before this hell starts up."  She stood, motioning Rachel up as well.

Rachel stood and walked over beside Creya.  "We both can, and something for De'sive, too."  Things were going so right, even with the danger ahead.  Creya chuckled.

"Of course.  De'sive too," Creya said.  Rachel followed Creya out.  Nothing could ruin this night.  Nothing.

Outside, not yet illuminated by lamplight or moonlight, tall reptilian figures moved out, careful to stay out of sight of their targets till they got the call.  Each had a separate figure in mind and in eye.  All that remained was to get the call.

Offline Kaya

• Quizzical Quail
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 01:11:44 AM »
Nettie smiled softly as she looked up at the goat and excepted the offered hand. Her hands were about a third the size of his, the pads on her hands were worn, chapped, and calloused, not the pads expected to be on a young lady. Nettie swished her tail nervously as she saw him reach into his pocket. Her expression changed from one of nervousness to a look of embarrassment when she was offered the coins.

"I.. uh.. thank you sir.. " She smiled at him again and held tightly to the coins. She glanced back to see that the tiger had gone off some time during the little confrontation and she flicked one of her ears in annoyance. "mmm now where did that tiger go on off too.. " She seemed to startle herself in saying that aloud as Nettie looked up at the goat. "mmmm" she thought to herself, as she sized him up again. "I bet I wont get thrown out of any of the pubs if I'm with him... and I have money to pay for a hotcake and no one in their right minds would harass someone with him.." Nettie put up a hand and scratched the back of her head "Excuse me... I... I really don't mean to impose or anything.. but.. but could you perhaps  come with me to one of the p-pubs so.. I don't get tossed out? The bakers closed down about half hour ago.. I mean I hate to bother you because you have done me a big enough favor already..."

Offline Grrxmaster

• Grrxy Gruntleton
  • Avid Aardvark
    • Grrxy's Youtube
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 03:03:42 AM »
Friedrich smiled warmly.  "Well, I can't see why not! I like having someone to chat with anyways! My name's Friedrich, by the way. Everyone just calls me Richie though. How about yourself?", this last he asked as they both walked towards the pub. He was already imagining what sort of meal he'd get. Night was fast approaching, and the cold that came with it. Having a warm meal in one's belly helped dispel the cold, though.
In Flames we trust.

Offline Scout Brighton

• Boisterous Bear
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 03:17:54 AM »
Scout turned off the of the dock, looking around a bit at the building and scenery that surrounded. He felt his pockets, and noticed he had a small amount of coin left for helping out with the small vessel he worked on just before unboarding.
His stomach growled lightly, as he has not eaten since about mid-day, and see as though night was growing fast, he hasn't eaten for almost 12 hours. He spotted a small pub, didn't seem to busy, and it smelt quite nice from just outside of the door.
He walked in and approached the counter, tossing the coins on the table, ordering some food that would take his lingering hunger away.
He sat down at a small table and started slowly eating, examining the decor and others surrounding him.
He thought to himself.
"Man...I'm surprised this small town has people and buildings still running and alive around here with this chill and wind..." He kept eating, still thinking.
"I guess there's still something to do around here, but I might as well keep looking around from the ground once I'm done, no need to get blown off a roof in this wind..." As he finished up his meal, he didn't leave right away, but still sat at his table, still thinking along about what to do, where to go, and what to do to get some extra coin.