The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: being harsh on artists  (Read 381 times)

Offline Alphaart

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Here to make commissions
    • DeviantArt
    • GIG FOR COMMISSIONS
    • Awards
  • Species: human
being harsh on artists
« on: August 04, 2013, 06:01:26 AM »
ok so probably i've got it all worng but i kinda feel like shit right now

so if you know me, you probably know that i am not a furry but a student artist that is really interested in the furry fandom expression.
as an artist that does commissions, i am on 2 furry forums.
so from times to times i do a topic to give away a comission to refresh my portfolio and i post some forums on general techinques form times to times ( since im not af urry i sill want to get updated with the informations ).

but still people are kinda harsh and pick on the little non furry artist .

dears fellas,  i just want to inform you of something that may be changing your mind on artists.

if an artist is willing to take her/his time to  talk to you, get to know you and your personna better  to be sure she/ he can do what  he/ she can to make the picture as accurate as possible, you can't always expect that it will be for free.

yes i sell commissions, no im not a furry, no im not da best. 
that is mostly why it's not expensive and im giving some away from times to times
i am still in training.

so yes i do care of if you like my work or not
yes i do care if my drawing is representative
yes i do want to offer quality
no im not here because im a gold digger and i just had found a place to make easy money

please try not to pick on the little different one... im pretty sure you all know how it feals

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Top 50 Most Online
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fur dragon
  • Coloring: Greens, reds and grey
  • Height: Approx. 2,10m (6.9ft) -with ears-
  • Build: Slender
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: -Local senpai- Will maybe have ninjurai's in the future.
Re: being harsh on artists
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 02:24:42 PM »
I don't think anyone here will pick on you because you're non-furry. I've found this is one of the most communities ever and most understand here that everyone  is different.
If someone is picking on you here, I dno't think it's because you're not a furry.

Artists are picked on whether they're furry or not. That's what I mean to say :)
You probably already knew that. I think one important aspct of being an atrist is trying to deal with this 'crap' in one way. I think ognoring those people that are just out to hurt you is one of the better solutions. This way you don't have to put time and energy into it. And they'll eventually get bored in some way by not recieving any repsonse from you.

Though lately I haev been experiencing soem 'rude' people myself. Unappreciative, in general.
Of course they've been around always, but lately I had two incidents with people that are very unappreciative, so I decided not to continue drawing for them.
I already don't give out requests (only towards close friends), because I would have to work on too many drawings, and some don't even appreciate it all that well.
I would even make gits and people would still say: "My character doesn't look right."
Or: "This marking is placed wrongly."
Etc.
I can understand they're kind of picky, because it is their character and design, but on the other hand smoeone is drawing something for them for free and if someone gives you something for free, you shouldn't complain.

That's at least my opinion, so I understand where you're coming from :)

As for being a gold digger, I dont think that's the only reason why you're here. There are a lot of opertunities for you here to possibly earn money, but you also enjoy drawing, right?
And I think you also said in a different topic you came here because you wanted to know more about the fandom and community. I think most people would actually look up to you for doing that, as a non-furry :)
I know I am. I think it's great you delve into the community and try to understand it.
  • Signature art by: Mr. Razot
♦ The friendly fluffy furry art dragon ♦
-> PM me for any questions or if you just want to chat ^^ I love to help! <-

> > Ventus Fall's backstory and information. < <

Links to my art pages and more:

deviantArt - FurAffinity - YouTube - Twitch - Twitter

Offline AleuLeLoup

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: wolfaboo
  • Currently: lurking
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 03:22:16 PM »
I wouldn't say that's entirely true, Ventus. Quite a few people I watched on FA were driven off simply because they posted mostly human art. The only time I've seen furry artists get harassed is if they either A. Steal art or B. Don't offer free art.

Offline Armalite_

• Shoots to Thrill
  • Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster
  • For the phony tough and the crazy brave.
    • Fur Affinity
    • My FA
    • Awards
  • Species: Spotted Hyena
  • Coloring: White, brown, charcoal, and green
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 200 lbs.
  • Build: Toned
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 04:13:58 PM »
Don't get worked up over people who have a problem with you or your work. Especially over the internet, it's ridiculous.

You enjoy drawing, you work hard on it, you draw for yourself and your own pleasure. You enjoy it that you've even decided to draw commissioned art. Yet with this kind of work, like any, there will be people unsatisfied with price to their finished product. It's inevitable but it comes with every kind of business, not just art.

If the pressures of some clientele  is too much or if the target market isn't appropriate, then it's time for you to re-evaluate your position as an artist-for-hire and consider just drawing what you feel like for the time being.

If it's a money problem, there's easier and less stressful ways of making it. You say you don't charge a lot for your work, but then isn't it too much time for too little pay-off? Often because art is time-consuming and stressful, it's easy to see why you'd be upset when someone just doesn't like what you've done for them, even if they pay you.

If I were you I would draw freely in the time being and not give a second thought to the crap people say about your way of doing business. Haters gonna hate so we gotta get used to living with them. If someone wants to commission you and you feel up to it, then do it. If they're being picky, then say forget about it and move on.