The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Very worried about explaining my being an Otherkin...  (Read 1720 times)

Offline Nerita Gotaff

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • "This planet isn't exactly what I had in mind..."
    • Awards
  • Species: Seadwelling Troll (Alien)
  • Coloring: Violet (Blood Colour), Black Hair, Grey Skin, finned ears, webbed toes and gills
  • Height: 5'4"
  • Weight: 111 lbs
  • Build: Slender, Short
  • Currently: Cheerful yet somehow disgusted at humans for their drinking habits...
Very worried about explaining my being an Otherkin...
« on: July 06, 2013, 05:58:26 AM »
So recently I've been going through mental stress regarding my systematic telling of other people as best that I can. I have avoided most of the Internet for as long as possible. The issue I've had us that my identity runs very close to a particular species that sprouted from a web comic called 'Homestuck'.

This is why I am worried- I am nervous as to whether or not people will assume I am just another diehard fan (I'm already a diehard fan, that's beside the point). I don't want ten to believe that I am kidding but if I told them it were the truth I'm afraid they'd be, well, to put it bluntly, really **censor** racist. :/

The problem is that I understand and feel the natural and common behavioural patterns of my species and a lot of the shit they are going to bring up a lot of cultural aspects that I am not part of in any way because of the planet on which I was raised. I understand and can immediately point out romantic relationships and the differences in pitch. Although if I do not know someone for long enough, once I do their vocal inflections are dead giveaways to mood(unless try are used to hiding it, then their relationship has to be even closer).

But I do experience those types of emotion and its going to be so hard to explain that Troll culture doesn't mean much to me since I wasn't raised a troll, nor was I exposed to those sorts of explanations as a child. :/
"A simple girl lost upon the wrong planet, on a journey of existential and moral nihilism."

Offline Caddoc Fynn

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
  • Species: Fallow Deer
  • Coloring: Brown/Grey
  • Build: Skinny, short
  • Currently: Curious and impatient for adventure
Re: Very worried about explaining my being an Otherkin...
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 06:21:20 AM »
Hey, Neri, Its okay. If you want to tell people, then let them know you have something to say. Something that is very important to you, and very close to your heart.

Personally, I don't think you have to tell anyone anything. No one online really knows you, so they have no right to judge you on anything. That said, you can either 1) just dump it all like a truck, and deny ever hiding it. {Hey guys! Guess what? [insert story here] Deal with it! *puts on aviators and ollies the heck out a there*} 2) Mention it if and only when it comes up in conversation. {Hey dude, don't make comments like that, its offensive to me. Yeah, I'ms troll, didn't i tell you that? Oh well. *ollies the hell out of that convo*} 3) not tell anyone anything, why should they know? {Nope nope nope nopenope! *ollies out*}

But... For people in real life? just tell your closest friends, that's what i'd do. Its like any sensitive secret. It can hurt you if you don't tell it, but it can hurt you if you do. Your true friends won't hurt you, but anyone else might, simply because they do not understand you. You don't have to tell your parents, or your friends, or your teachers, or anyone. Simply tell those closest to your heart. Those are the friends that matter.

Weeeellll, i'm all out of advice here.  0:)  Hope it helped!

*sprints away*

Offline Nerita Gotaff

• Vibrating Furby
  • "This planet isn't exactly what I had in mind..."
    • Awards
  • Species: Seadwelling Troll (Alien)
  • Coloring: Violet (Blood Colour), Black Hair, Grey Skin, finned ears, webbed toes and gills
  • Height: 5'4"
  • Weight: 111 lbs
  • Build: Slender, Short
  • Currently: Cheerful yet somehow disgusted at humans for their drinking habits...
Re: Very worried about explaining my being an Otherkin...
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 03:31:36 PM »
That isn't exactly what I mean though, Caddoc- what in talking about is when I tell them, not if I tell them.

For example, I'm going to have to explain the whole bucket thing and how it doesn't apply to me because I was never under such a threat and never will be. I have to explain that my head is extremely tender and brushing it the wrong way has caused a lot of physical pain for me, equivocated to that of horn-pulling. I don't expect them to get it at first but I am hoping that a tendency about filial pails is not genetically or behaviourally wired, and is a product of nurture.

Also, even if it was I'm at least a little safe, right? :) just as long as your demise does not come sooner than I'd hoped, Caddy.

Post Merge: July 06, 2013, 08:13:26 PM
But seriously, it seems like I'm going to get racism anyway so I'd rather go down kicking and screaming for what is right then be pushed into silence.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 08:13:26 PM by Nerita Gotaff, Reason: Merged DoublePost »
"A simple girl lost upon the wrong planet, on a journey of existential and moral nihilism."