The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Why is animal cruelty treated so non-chalantly?  (Read 702 times)

Offline Count of Cutesy

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Am I cute?
    • Awards
  • Species: A mythical creature called an Almiraj.
  • Coloring: Pink
  • Height: Not good with height.
  • Weight: Not good with weight, either.
  • Build: Since I made this guy in a program that didn't allow me to change the bulk or build of a furry, I would say about Average.
Why is animal cruelty treated so non-chalantly?
« on: July 04, 2013, 06:01:03 PM »
I've been to a lot of sites, and at almost every site I go to, I noticed a lot of people laugh at the agony of animals, make jokes about their deaths, and treat animal cruelty in general as a good thing. Especially when it comes to joking, I see a lot of "Meat is tasty murder" and "Animals have the right to be barbequed" jokes which, in all honesty, greatly offend me. But whenever anyone gets offended by these jokes, they're treated like idiots or babies for their love of animals. Yet the same people also bitch and complain any time a similar joke about humans are made, even mild jokes.

This seems to be a problem every where I go, and I can almost never get a serious discussion on the debate. Why is animal cruelty treated in such a laughing manner.

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline Nrein

• The Master of Speechcraft
  • Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 100 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
  • As the humans say, "The truth will out!"
    • Awards
  • Species: Dewott
  • Currently: Needing a Smoke, hardcore.
Re: Why is animal cruelty treated so non-chalantly?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 07:29:58 PM »
The only things about Animal Cruelty that make me laugh are the sad attempts PETA makes to try and make everything out to be Animal Cruelty.

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
  • Arcane Terrain
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Foxaroo!
  • Coloring: white and orange
  • Height: 5'11''
  • Weight: 145
  • Build: skinny with little fat and muscle
  • Currently: Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost!
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »
The only things about Animal Cruelty that make me laugh are the sad attempts PETA makes to try and make everything out to be Animal Cruelty.
POKEMON GOTTA FREE 'EM ALL
If you want beef then bring the ruckus

Offline Caddoc Fynn

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Fallow Deer
  • Coloring: Brown/Grey
  • Build: Skinny, short
  • Currently: Curious and impatient for adventure
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 09:54:46 PM »
Ugh. I know what you mean about not being able to have a serious discussion. I mean, most sites i've been on are not the ones that make jokes about 'animals not having rights,' but i know there are some real butt-faces out there that think that is the case.

On another note, I have some good news and bad news. Recently, a town near me tried opening a horse slaughterhouse, and local people ended up suing the USDA for it. Unfortunately, it sounds like they are going to keep going with the project... [size=78%]http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/Horse-Slaughter-Opponents-Sue-USDA-As-Sigourney-Operation-is-Approved-214036261.html[/size] <- Local news article.

As you can see, its a real small article, and it wasn't even on the news. Im sure most people in my area haven't even heard the story, which makes me kinda upset. What about you guys? I don't mean to get a debate started here, but I figured this thread could talk about something.  :/

Offline NovaAurora

• Jovial Jaguar
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • May the FURS be with you!
    • Awards
  • Species: Mostly wolf, part dragon
  • Coloring: Dark and light gray, with black streaks and dark blue extremities.
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 200 lbs
  • Build: Long and lanky, muscular but not bulging.
  • Currently: PC gaming... FINALLY!!
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 02:09:54 AM »
The short answer to this is, it's the internet. On the internet, there are plenty of insensitive jerks. Plus as you've said, many people take offense when jokes are made about other people but making jokes about animals doesn't directly attack anybody so it's easier to do. The best thing to do in my opinion is to try and ignore them, because you realize they're not capable of having legitimate discussions so there's no point in confronting or arguing with them. Be secure in the knowledge that you're likely a much nicer person than any of them, and remember you always have people like us on TFF who can appreciate animals and are able to have intelligent conversations.

~*Airforce Fleet commander*~

Come raise your lantern to the sky
And let's illuminate this night
We'll dance like heathens
Around the flames
And while the world sleeps
WE ARE AWAKE!

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 03:53:13 AM »
  I don't think they're making fun of animal cruelty, but what I think they are doing is making fun of animal activists. The reason they do this is because of a bunch of perceived (but untrue) relations with animal activism.

I think we can also go deeper into the problem and take what Nic said. It's the internet so jokes are made, as novaAurora said, but more so a certain amount of "meme" status is gotten from animal cruelty because of PETA. PETA have a lot of radical ideals, ideals that seem silly and they don't seem to care about their public image anymore, this causes them to do a lot of very intrusive demonstrations that can get them a lot of hate. As well, the severity of these demonstrations on, in the public, seemingly trivial issues (like a pet shops name for example) gives them a comical approach and to the normal anonymous internet user, it gives PETA a meme status as something to be made fun of.

Things like south park, that pokemon game, the media publicizing all the stupid things PETA tried to get people to change, it all adds to the internet social idea that PETA is bad. More so, a lot of people who aren't bothered to get educated in the problem (and that's a lot of people btw) assume PETA and animal cruelty activists are one of the same, this isn't true but this is what a lot of people generally believe on the internet. That if you're an animal activist, then you "hug trees", "hate pokemon" and so on, obviously this is all ridiculous but to an uneducated person they are true. As well, there's a whole vibe on facebook with people sharing those statuses that say "Like or share this post and facebook will donate $1 to stop animal cruelty", a lot of people these days are smart enough to realize those posts aren't truthful, and they relate the scamming post with animal cruelty indirectly. (This goes with a whole lot of other things, the internet and medias perceived smugness of environmentalists and even hipsters, saying hipsters are vegan and what not)

So the idea is that there is so much reason why uneducated people would make fun of animal activists on the internet, most of it is only from a few select groups that unfortunately cloud out the majority, but it happens and people see only the ridiculous sides of animal activism than the truer sides of it. So people make fun of it, to them animal activism becomes a joke, and it's really unfortunate that the more severe animal activists like PETA who do some ridiculous things cause so much problems for the things they are trying to achieve. They are actually causing animal activists to get a bad name which is damaging their end goal.
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Rhoryc

• Dancing Dragon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 06:44:24 AM »
If you think those jokes are offensive, wait till you hear my Chris Benoit jokes! :D

Seriously though, it's the internet. I wouldn't take those comments so seriously.

Offline ST-84 Sahelanthropus

• Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Poster
  • BetrayerOfNihil
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Nanotech Robot
  • Height: Usually 7ft, up to 50ft
  • Currently: A weapon to surpass... well, everything.
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 07:10:48 AM »
I think it's mostly parody of the PETA stereotypes, although that isn't to say that I condone this behavior at all.

Considering the environment I'm in, I'll just withhold my opinions on the rights of animals and Humans.

it's the internet

It's the internet

it's the internet

Please blame anonymity, not the Internet. Anonymity is the root of almost all online evil.

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 11:33:33 AM »
We say "internet" because it is the CAUSE of the deindividuation, it's like we say "guns kill people" when in reality guns don't actually kill people, bullets do, but guns (or people) are the cause of the bullet moving fast, so we say guns (or people) kill people.

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Count of Cutesy

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Am I cute?
    • Awards
  • Build: Since I made this guy in a program that didn't allow me to change the bulk or build of a furry, I would say about Average.
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 08:56:32 PM »
The short answer to this is, it's the internet. On the internet, there are plenty of insensitive jerks. Plus as you've said, many people take offense when jokes are made about other people but making jokes about animals doesn't directly attack anybody so it's easier to do. The best thing to do in my opinion is to try and ignore them, because you realize they're not capable of having legitimate discussions so there's no point in confronting or arguing with them. Be secure in the knowledge that you're likely a much nicer person than any of them, and remember you always have people like us on TFF who can appreciate animals and are able to have intelligent conversations.

Internet: Serious Business =/= Excuse to be an offensive jerk. Also, ignoring is how bullies and such got so powerful, because no one did ANYTHING about them.

I don't think they're making fun of animal cruelty, but what I think they are doing is making fun of animal activists. The reason they do this is because of a bunch of perceived (but untrue) relations with animal activism.

I think we can also go deeper into the problem and take what Nic said. It's the internet so jokes are made, as novaAurora said, but more so a certain amount of "meme" status is gotten from animal cruelty because of PETA. PETA have a lot of radical ideals, ideals that seem silly and they don't seem to care about their public image anymore, this causes them to do a lot of very intrusive demonstrations that can get them a lot of hate. As well, the severity of these demonstrations on, in the public, seemingly trivial issues (like a pet shops name for example) gives them a comical approach and to the normal anonymous internet user, it gives PETA a meme status as something to be made fun of.

Things like south park, that pokemon game, the media publicizing all the stupid things PETA tried to get people to change, it all adds to the internet social idea that PETA is bad. More so, a lot of people who aren't bothered to get educated in the problem (and that's a lot of people btw) assume PETA and animal cruelty activists are one of the same, this isn't true but this is what a lot of people generally believe on the internet. That if you're an animal activist, then you "hug trees", "hate pokemon" and so on, obviously this is all ridiculous but to an uneducated person they are true. As well, there's a whole vibe on facebook with people sharing those statuses that say "Like or share this post and facebook will donate $1 to stop animal cruelty", a lot of people these days are smart enough to realize those posts aren't truthful, and they relate the scamming post with animal cruelty indirectly. (This goes with a whole lot of other things, the internet and medias perceived smugness of environmentalists and even hipsters, saying hipsters are vegan and what not)

So the idea is that there is so much reason why uneducated people would make fun of animal activists on the internet, most of it is only from a few select groups that unfortunately cloud out the majority, but it happens and people see only the ridiculous sides of animal activism than the truer sides of it. So people make fun of it, to them animal activism becomes a joke, and it's really unfortunate that the more severe animal activists like PETA who do some ridiculous things cause so much problems for the things they are trying to achieve. They are actually causing animal activists to get a bad name which is damaging their end goal.

So that's why we can have evil, animal cruelty promoting jerks, offensive content, "Animal Welfare Supporters" who pretend to care about animals and the environment, but ONLY care about the selfish needs of the human race, and everything else against animals is justified, just because of PETA? I've met some pretty bad Anti-Animal activists, too(If there's any other kind of anti-animal activists).

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2013, 07:58:26 AM »
So before I write this I got to confirm that your post was about people making jokes against animal activists, so people making jokes for animal cruelty. NOT people supporting animal cruelty, there is a difference (Making a joke about animals does not mean you support animal cruelty necessarily XD)

Because of PETA, because of a lot of other things I mentioned with the internet phenomena and because of Deindividuation.

You'd actually be surprised how easy it is to get peoples opinions on things based on social criteria, diffusion of responsibility and and perceived justifications. I mean look at Nazi germany, people were able to do absolutely terrible things and they didn't feel morally responsible or bad because they did it, some did of course but even those who did feel bad still did it. Was it because Nazis were twisted people who had a genetic disposition to violence? Highly unlikely. You should read also about the Milgram experiment which shows another idea of what people will do based on what others tell them or insight them. (Normal american people were essentially willing to electrocute another person to death because somebody in a lab coat told them too)

So to answer your question, yes. All that came from social stigma and deindividuation that the internet causes, not JUST from PETA but from the whole meme status that animal activism has got on the internet, which was brought on by PETA, hipsters and a lot of other factors.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 08:00:07 AM by anoni »

Offline Count of Cutesy

• Eager Elephant
  • Am I cute?
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2013, 12:00:31 PM »
So before I write this I got to confirm that your post was about people making jokes against animal activists, so people making jokes for animal cruelty. NOT people supporting animal cruelty, there is a difference (Making a joke about animals does not mean you support animal cruelty necessarily XD )

Because of PETA, because of a lot of other things I mentioned with the internet phenomena and because of Deindividuation.

You'd actually be surprised how easy it is to get peoples opinions on things based on social criteria, diffusion of responsibility and and perceived justifications. I mean look at Nazi germany, people were able to do absolutely terrible things and they didn't feel morally responsible or bad because they did it, some did of course but even those who did feel bad still did it. Was it because Nazis were twisted people who had a genetic disposition to violence? Highly unlikely. You should read also about the Milgram experiment which shows another idea of what people will do based on what others tell them or insight them. (Normal american people were essentially willing to electrocute another person to death because somebody in a lab coat told them too)

So to answer your question, yes. All that came from social stigma and deindividuation that the internet causes, not JUST from PETA but from the whole meme status that animal activism has got on the internet, which was brought on by PETA, hipsters and a lot of other factors.

Actually, most people who make those jokes DO support animal cruelty. And besides that, I'm also talking about the "Animal Welfare Supporters" who go on and on and on and on and on AND ON AND ON AND ON AND ON about how animals absolutely need to be killed and how their precious fur-coats and steaks are oh-so important. They support hunting in inhumane fashions, slaughter houses, animal testing, fur farms, trophy hunting, etc. Yet they don't give two ****s about harsh conditions of certain zoos, the mass-produced dying aquatic animals in plastic pouches sold in China, or ANYTHING ELSE. It's only wrong to kill animals if a Poacher or PETA does it. Otherwise, it's GODSEND!

Also, like I said, PETA should NOT be a reason to hate everyone who even remotely cares about animals or non-humans.

Offline Marcus

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • This user has left!
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2013, 03:02:28 PM »
I love animals, I believe that they should be protected, treated well, and not be used as experiments.

Unfortunately, our species is Omnivorous. Some more Carnivorous, some more.. Plant eaty, I can't remember the word. I eat meat, and I eat a nice salad sometimes. I make jokes about the meat I do eat. But guess what? I don't go out and slaughter bunnies just for the lol's. :P

I'm all for animal rights, protection, safety and et cetra. BUT. I have to eat meat to keep myself healthy, especially in my line of work. And like everyone else said, this is the internet, where all jackasses can converge and plot to destroy the planet.

Call me evil, cruel, et cetra. I have dark humor, in reality, that does not make me an evil person.

Offline Count of Cutesy

• Eager Elephant
  • Am I cute?
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2013, 11:31:26 PM »
Yeah, well, I'm actually kind of ashamed to be omnivore, that I'm considering going vegetarian again, regardless of what my parents say.

Also, I hate how those people make dead animal jokes, but get so offended when misanthropes say they want to kill people. The difference is that the guys who say they want to kill humans are almost always bluffing, but the people who make dead animal jokes often aren't since what THEY say they will do is actually legal.

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
  • Arcane Terrain
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Foxaroo!
  • Coloring: white and orange
  • Height: 5'11''
  • Weight: 145
  • Build: skinny with little fat and muscle
  • Currently: Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost!
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 05:22:10 AM »
Yeah, well, I'm actually kind of ashamed to be omnivore, that I'm considering going vegetarian again, regardless of what my parents say.

Also, I hate how those people make dead animal jokes, but get so offended when misanthropes say they want to kill people. The difference is that the guys who say they want to kill humans are almost always bluffing, but the people who make dead animal jokes often aren't since what THEY say they will do is actually legal.
oh I don't know, because the people who make dead animal jokes usually DON'T follow through on what they're going to say? and when misanthropes make those sorts of jokes it is considered a threat, you know.
If you want beef then bring the ruckus