The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Opinions, please. A fox by any other name...  (Read 276 times)

Offline Nobi

• Handsome Horse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Let's get rhetorical!
    • My tumblr!
    • Awards
  • Species: Ringtail/Cacomistle
  • Coloring: Standard ringtail coloration of sandy brown-dark brown body, white rings around my eyes, and black and white rings around my tail
  • Height: Roughly 5'6''
  • Weight: 127 lbs
  • Build: Slim and mildly athletic
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Back!
Opinions, please. A fox by any other name...
« on: June 15, 2013, 06:48:12 AM »
As some of you who have talked to me may know, I don't consider my fursona to be a separate identity. It doesn't have a name other than my own, because it's simply me as an anthropomorphic fox. ShinobiFox and Shinobi are simply a username and a nickname, respectively. And for a time, I was quite content with this. But recently, I've been feeling some kind of gap. Like an empty space, so to speak. It's very hard to explain, but for whatever reason, I've been desiring a name for my fursona. An actual name to go by, rather than a username, a nickname, or my given/human name.

Ironically enough, this desire manifested in me after a particular fur with whom I'm very close shortened Shinobi to 'Nobi in a message to me; a nickname for a nickname for a username. It got me thinking... Why not simply remove the apostrophe and make that into a name? Why not be Nobi the red fox, rather than Hunter, who most furs call Shinobi? Before this, I'd always struggled with the creation of unique names. But I feel almost drawn to this name. I'd never heard the word before, and I don't know if it means anything in any language. I know it's very possible that it does, but I honestly don't think I want to know if it means anything.

I suppose what I'm asking for is opinions. What do you all think? Have you experienced similar struggles with your fursona? In my case, it would still be entirely me, but I would simply be going by another name; something much more original.

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
Re: Opinions, please. A fox by any other name...
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 08:27:05 AM »
My fursona is a representation of me rather than a separate identity as well. That's why I thought my current name was a perfect choice

Anoni means Anonymous, I used the name as a username when going on LGBT sites before I had come out, and so naturally was the name I used for the fandom. But it kind of manifest itself to be, well, perfect in a way. It was my a name that meant it had no name, Anoni, I liked it! I think Nobi is a nice name too, though I think if you wanted a name that was like your real name, but you didn't want people to know you, I think your first name would make a good fursona name. But Nobi is fine :3
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Bandal

• Eager Elephant
    • Awards
  • Species: Lion
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 12:48:26 PM »
I think it is a good name. If you feel drawn to the name there is no reason for you not to start using  :P . Fursona's are a personal thing and you should always pick a name you feel comfortable with. Myself I just sorta started combining various syllables together till I found a name I enjoyed XP !
A monoculture never thrives :3

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 06:49:27 PM »
My username, WingedZephyr, was around long before I was a furry, and I've pretty much always been called Zephyr online, and it felt natural to give my fursona the same name once she was created.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline WereCat

• Avid Aardvark
  • Species: Feline
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 07:53:25 PM »
I'm kind of the same way; I don't think of my fursona as something else, he's basically me, but, like, a furry me.

I think I actually used to have a name for it (besides WereCat), but I've forgotten what it was, somehow.

Anyway, Nobi seems like a fine name to me.  I like it.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 08:30:32 PM by WereCat »

Offline Keo

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 08:36:34 PM »
I am my furson (human me is more second-paw x3) and I didn't really choose my name, so I can't really say, myself :3

Though, I think the name is good, if the holder of the name is awesome then I tend to find the name awesome. And I'm sure you're awesome, so there should be no problems there ^^