The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: How can I boost my self confidence?  (Read 324 times)

Offline Georgisaur

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Brown
  • Height: 5"11
How can I boost my self confidence?
« on: May 30, 2013, 11:39:20 PM »
I'm reeeeeeeeeeeeally socially awkward. I mean, I don't even smile at people as I worry of what they'll think of me. It's gotten so bad that I've been suffering with depression. I don't mean just feeling a little bit down, I mean that I feel like my sadness is an endless void with no way out. I have no motivation to do anything anymore either. Even getting out of bed and facing the day is a challenge. Help?!

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
  • Reference: [link]
Re: How can I boost my self confidence?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 01:22:53 AM »
If you're really feeling that way, you should do whatever you need to do to see a therapist or doctor about it. They'll be able to help you far more than anyone here would be able to do.

That being said, if you want to try to turn your mood and emotions around, it takes a lot of work and re-training yourself how to think and react to things. Instead of worrying about something you need to do, you need to be able to think about how doing it will make you feel better. You can't let your mind set yourself up for failure before you even try to do anything. More often than not you probably have more regret for the things you don't do than the things you actually do. Isolation and inaction only makes depression worse. Go outside, do something you've never done before, get some exercise, and meet new people or hang out with ones you already know. It stimulates your brain and makes you feel better. The times when you feel the least like doing something is usually when you need it most, so make yourself get out there and do it. It gets easier over time.

As for social situations, even if fitting in doesn't come naturally to you, there are things you can do to "fake it", so to speak. There are social cues that you can learn that will make people more at ease around you. Generally speaking: people like it when you smile, they like it when you ask questions about them so they can talk about themselves, they like it when you remember things about them, and people like it when you go out of your way to do something for them (even if it's something small). Keeping that in mind, the next time you go up to someone, you could keep that list of things in your head and try to apply them wherever possible. I know it sounds a little weird and robotic, but with practice it ought to become much more natural for you. Like with anything else, practice makes perfect. You won't get better at socializing by hiding away from everyone.

Do what makes you happy, and live according to your own standards instead of other people's. People will come and go throughout your life and you will never be able to please all of them; the only person who will always be there is you. It's your opinion that matters.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 09:19:02 AM »
I agree with zephy on this one. You need to be a bit more active and actively search for friends. BUT I also think that if you have a lack of self confidence it can be really hard to do that and as well if you may other think everything you do. Maybe try join a club or something that you're interested in and that COULD help you with social situations but that's not necessarily your goal.

Let me explain, lets say you like Rock Climbing, then you can join a rock climbing club for the main purpose of going out to rock climbing and doing lots of rock climbing! You will most probably meet other people at the rock climbing event, for the first few times you go there you may just want to focus on rock climbing and if someone asks you something or talks to you, just politely talk back and try to not over think things, remember worst case scenario you can still enjoy rock climbing! After a few days you'll know the community a bit better, maybe start saying hi to some people, start greeting yourself and getting involved in the social circle, see if you can meet some friends up outside of rock climbing and try to get a bit more social with the whole affair. If you keep doing this, it will teach you some really great skills about opening up, getting more confidence and you'll have the added bonus of meeting new friends.

So think about what you enjoy doing, do you enjoy martial arts? Rock Climbing? Bush walking? Sailing? Etc. Then find an organization, in or out of school, that can help you out with it!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 02:35:21 PM by anoni »
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline BakaFawkes

• Chatty Cheetah
  • It's not personal text if you can read it!
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Dark Fulvous, Reddish hair
  • Height: My height (How tall am I anyway?)
  • Weight: Same as me (still unknown, maybe 160-ish)
  • Build: Average, but nimble, naturally fit.
  • Currently: Totally stressin'
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 01:44:44 PM »
I agree with anoni. I'm still not the most sociable person, but I got in touch with people who have the same hobbies as I do, and I was able to have that connection with them. (For example, a game night a youth group at my church has every other week).
Then I realized that I wanted more out it. I would go hang out, play some board games, xbox, etc. but then I would leave and be alone again. I didn't like that at all. So, I started talking to those people more about things other than what we meet up for, and I picked up a lot of friends that taught me some cool stuff.
You just have to find out the best way that works for you, get help, and keep a personal journal/blog or whatever to get all your thoughts down.
You don't have to be great to start, you only have to start to be great.

Offline Sirius

• Avid Aardvark
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolff
  • Coloring: Black/grey/blue
  • Height: 6'1
  • Weight: 220
  • Build: Heavyweight
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 09:08:32 PM »
I suffer from Social Anxiety Disorder so i totally feel where you are coming from. You just have to force yourself to not think negatively. Like when someone looks at you and you start wondering what they are thinking or saying about you, just tell yourself it's an irrational fear and that they probably aren't thinking anything bad at all. I always felt like i could/can read people really well and it puts me through hell. I can always tell what they are thinking or feeling or when they lie and it bothers me alot. What's helped me with that is to be forward and ask them to honestly what they think about you and what you could change for the better. Exposure therapy is a good tool but if you aren't ready for that don't do it it may just deter you from trying again.

Seeing a counselor or therapist is a great idea and can help so much having someone you can confide in and be neutral. They are there only to help you. If that doesn't help see a psychiatrist but they will probably want to put you on medication so if you're not down for that i would tell them straight up when you first meet that it's a last result. I wish i would have taken that approach when i had to start seeing a psych. Could have saved me a very long time and a near death experience. There is a beautiful side to medication though it honestly saved my life. Without it i'd be locked in the looney bin and be classified as a danger to society :P

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline Nobi

• Handsome Horse
  • Let's get rhetorical!
    • My tumblr!
    • Awards
  • Species: Ringtail/Cacomistle
  • Coloring: Standard ringtail coloration of sandy brown-dark brown body, white rings around my eyes, and black and white rings around my tail
  • Height: Roughly 5'6''
  • Weight: 127 lbs
  • Build: Slim and mildly athletic
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Back!
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 11:17:06 PM »
With regard to your depression, I agree with Zeph and Sirius that professional therapy is likely the best option.

As far as your social problems go, there are numerous ways to approach this. Several have already been discussed by the others, such as joining a club or organization, learning social cues through exposure, etc. Being able to smile, make eye contact, and ask/answer questions are basically your entry fees for just about any form of socialization. It's really the only way to get to know people. However, I've never really believed in "faking" when it comes to social situations. There's being polite and sociable, which is fine. But then, there's pretending you're something you're not. That's a line you should never cross, in my opinion. I'll try to explain it using a metaphor:

Everyone has different "hats" they put on, depending on who they're with and what situation they find themselves in. You have a hat you wear when around your family, and a different hat you wear around your friends. Then you have yet another hat you'll wear in class with your instructors and fellow students, and still a different hat you'll wear at work, if you have a job. These hats represent different ways you behave. Everyone does it. You're going to act differently around your close friends than you do around your family or coworkers. It's fine. All it is is different levels of openness. It's ok to wear different hats.

However, never should you put on a mask. This would mean pretending to be somebody you're not in order to please or impress other people. It's lying, and it's detrimental both to your own self esteem, and to those you're lying to (because they're getting something that isn't real or true). It's important to be able to express yourself honestly.

When you express who you are to people, you're essentially putting yourself on the table for examination. In my opinion, it is impossible to make others like you. That decision is entirely in their hands. You can be as nice as you want to some people, and they'll still hate you for some reason or another. However, if you show people who you are by expressing yourself in an honest and civil way, you allow them to make a more informed decision as to whether or not they want to engage in any sort of socialization with you, be it short-term or long-term. This increases your chances of meeting people with whom you'll really get along. Those people will be drawn to you when they see who you really are.

As for specific ways to express yourself, here are a few that I use:

— Dress how you want. Don't feel pressured by social/societal expectations of how you should or should not dress. Wear what you like, and what you're comfortable in.

— Tell stories. It seems like my conversations with friends—or acquaintances with whom I feel compatible—inevitably devolve into me telling some crazy story about something dumb/tragic (but funny looking back on it)/unusual that I've experienced. Everyone has experiences worth talking about, whether you believe it or not. Even the most mundane things can seem interesting if told in an interesting/compelling/entertaining/funny way. Telling people stories about yourself also gives people a glimpse into how you think/operate/respond to things. And if somebody else tells you something interesting and it reminds you of something interesting you'd like to tell them, don't be afraid to do so!

— Tell people what you like, especially if they ask. Don't be afraid to talk about your hobbies or interests, no matter how obscure they may seem. You might find people who are into the same thing. And if somebody doesn't know what you're talking about, explain it to them. They might just find it really interesting! Two important things, though:

- People will have different interests than you. You must understand and accept this. It's perfectly ok. Just try to avoid criticizing or bashing their interests. For example, if somebody tells you how much they love dubstep, and you absolutely hate it, simply say you've never really been able to get into it, and explain—politely but truthfully—why. At the very least, it will give you practice in effectively articulating your thoughts and opinions—a VERY important skill to have.

- When people have different interests than you, don't simply go along with what they like because it will please them. Once again, this is lying. This is putting on a mask. And it will really come to bite you in the tail when they start talking about it enthusiastically and asking you what you like about their interests. For example: I ran into a fur online who asked me what I'm into. I mentioned knives, and he said that he loves and collects them, too. I started asking him about his collection and talking about mine, throwing around terms like "full tang," "drop point," and "assisted folder" around—terms that any knife enthusiast would likely be familiar with. He wasn't able to fake it for long, and was quickly forced to reveal that he'd never even held a knife before.

All this is going to take time. You certainly won't be a social butterfly overnight. I'm still socially awkward in many situations. Many people are. The key is to seize every opportunity to learn, to practice, and to experience. With time, things will indeed get better.