The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Rant/Advice?: Inconfidence  (Read 447 times)

Offline ~Samus~

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Working on new fursona/Feeling like MTG
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Snow Leopard
  • Coloring: Black, white, and blue
  • Height: 5'10
  • Build: Well and petite
  • Currently: Cuncussed
Rant/Advice?: Inconfidence
« on: May 26, 2013, 09:47:43 PM »
So, I had an issue with my boyfriend awhile ago. The part directly concerning him has been fixed. Now I just have a few other problems of my own. And some of the worst kind: confidence.

I'm going to start off with saying I'm a model. Not "professional" or anything(not yet!), but I am known as the best in our agency. Tall, can pull nearly any outfit off, etc, but on another board I used to be on often, there was a rant about models that directly offended me. "Skinny, perfect, get whatever they wnt, live to make people feel bad about themselves," etc. I also know a lot of people personally that complain that I'm a model ontop of everything else I do. Some complain, some admire, certain ones say I'm way too ugly and fat to do it...
That's kind of where I wanted to go with this.
I'm only a little overweight(7 pounds at the most), but are there any tips for me? It sounds stupid, but if I can't find a plan to help me(because no magazine ones have helped me), I'll be havjng to eat yogurt for lunch and I'm lactose intolerant:/
I honestly find that there's nothing wrong with my diet, more of the stress making it so I can't lose weight. I'm constantly busy, I think I eat well(the only thing I overeat is salad, I love salad), I do a lot of running(soccer and ranching), but the only time I lost weight was when I had my molars were removed and I literally couldn't eat.

Anything that could help, maybe? I'm so sick of those pounds and people calling me fat(including family:/), I also want my belly button pierced with confidence!

Problem two(which will sound completely pathetic with the fact that I'm a model), but I don't have much a sense of style. I always ask if something looks okay before I even put it on.  I'm fine with the fact that I get a lot of second hand clothes, many are cute and I know things are gettin hard with my brother being in college, my eldest having another son, and I'll be going into college next year.  It's rpugh. But I want an idea of what I can wear because I get compliments on one outfit, the rest of the time, even one of my friends was shocked to find out I put things together as well as possible.  She then insisted that I don't even try to look pretty. I do, but to be honest, my mom kind of stopped making me dress like a girl when I was four after my grandma died. I was raised like my brothers and now, when I want to be "frilly", either I don't like the options, mom doesn't, I fet laughed at, or I have a breakdown about not being able to find anything for my body type:/ So many clothes are made for the modern body type, flat on both ends with no curves:p
Even tips on how to make my own clothes would be amazing! Especially refashioning beltsXD
I'd love a fresh start going into college and one year is a good amount of time to experiment!

Thanks ya'll~
~~~JLC~~~

Offline Nobi

• Handsome Horse
  • Let's get rhetorical!
    • My tumblr!
    • Awards
  • Species: Ringtail/Cacomistle
  • Coloring: Standard ringtail coloration of sandy brown-dark brown body, white rings around my eyes, and black and white rings around my tail
  • Height: Roughly 5'6''
  • Weight: 127 lbs
  • Build: Slim and mildly athletic
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Back!
Re: Rant/Advice?: Inconfidence
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 12:29:26 AM »
My advice is to simply not let other people dictate how you should feel about your appearance, diet, or clothes. I imagine there can be a lot of pressure to conform to what others want you to look like, considering your job as a model. But honestly, if somebody is telling you how you should look, or that you don't look good, or that your clothes are ugly, then they can take the thorniest branch they can find and shove it, as far as I'm concerned.

7 pounds is nothing. I don't know what the average weight is for a person of your age/size is, but if you're only 7 pounds above it, I think you'll survive. And the people looking at you are sure as hell gonna survive, too. Your weight does not affect them, as much as it seems like they want it to.

Take others' opinions out of the equation. If, even after that, you still find yourself wanting to lose weight, only then should you pursue any kind of dieting plans or whatever. Remember, of course, that weight isn't dictated just by what you eat. I'm sure you know more about all that than I do, though. It sounds to me that you just need to de-stress a bit more. One thing that might help is, like I said earlier, letting go of other peoples' negative opinions of you.

As far as your clothes go, I say wear whatever you want. Don't worry about asking somebody else if something looks ok on you. If you think an outfit is cute, wear it.

Offline BakaFawkes

• Chatty Cheetah
  • It's not personal text if you can read it!
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Dark Fulvous, Reddish hair
  • Height: My height (How tall am I anyway?)
  • Weight: Same as me (still unknown, maybe 160-ish)
  • Build: Average, but nimble, naturally fit.
  • Currently: Totally stressin'
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 03:10:45 PM »
I have a cousin in Philadelphia going through something similar (she wants to do cosplay), only she has all these little gnat-people always telling her she can’t. If modeling is truly what you want to do, you just have to do it. There are models for everything, so realize you don’t have to be America’s Next Top Model to get on the front of a magazine.
Also, be as open as you’re comfortable with when it comes to the profession itself. Maybe you could do ads, stock photos, be an extra in those big group photos, etc. to build your reputation and show that you mean business. The media industry is pretty hard, I’m struggling in the art department myself, so get noticed and get connections. They can sponsor you or at least have some critique for you.
I don’t really have much else to say, but I’m sure one of the wonderful other people on FF will have more advice.
If you really chose the modeling path, I’ll be rooting for you!

Oh, and about clothing. If we live in a world where songs like Thrift Shop and videos like Party Rock Anthem are cool, you can get away with anything.
You don't have to be great to start, you only have to start to be great.

Offline Nobi

• Handsome Horse
  • Let's get rhetorical!
    • My tumblr!
    • Awards
  • Species: Ringtail/Cacomistle
  • Coloring: Standard ringtail coloration of sandy brown-dark brown body, white rings around my eyes, and black and white rings around my tail
  • Height: Roughly 5'6''
  • Weight: 127 lbs
  • Build: Slim and mildly athletic
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Back!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 06:42:47 PM »
Oh, and about clothing. If we live in a world where songs like Thrift Shop and videos like Party Rock Anthem are cool, you can get away with anything.

I second that. XD

Offline ~Samus~

• Vibrating Furby
  • Working on new fursona/Feeling like MTG
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Snow Leopard
  • Coloring: Black, white, and blue
  • Height: 5'10
  • Build: Well and petite
  • Currently: Cuncussed
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 01:27:46 PM »
Thanks everyone, Thrift Shop was a good oneXD
I'm starting to feel a lot better:)
~~~JLC~~~

Offline BakaFawkes

• Chatty Cheetah
  • It's not personal text if you can read it!
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Dark Fulvous, Reddish hair
  • Height: My height (How tall am I anyway?)
  • Weight: Same as me (still unknown, maybe 160-ish)
  • Build: Average, but nimble, naturally fit.
  • Currently: Totally stressin'
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 01:59:19 PM »
Glaad I could help :)
You don't have to be great to start, you only have to start to be great.

Offline Sirius

• Avid Aardvark
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolff
  • Coloring: Black/grey/blue
  • Height: 6'1
  • Weight: 220
  • Build: Heavyweight
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 08:51:49 PM »
 As far as those few pounds. Just up your exercise and watch your diet very strictly. If you put the work in you'll get results. It's harder the slenderer you are the hard it is to get those last pounds off. Just get into a routine in your day and fit exercise in and do it everyday and try to go/get/lift even more everyday. You want to work until you can't keep it up. Pain n gain. I always tell myself dig deep the rewards are worth the pain.

O and exercise helps get rid of some of my anxiety and ups my confidence everyday.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 08:53:55 PM by Sirius »

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!