The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Tips for getting used to a tablet?  (Read 1129 times)

Offline Jacen

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Currently: Content
Tips for getting used to a tablet?
« on: March 05, 2013, 07:31:03 AM »
About a year ago I bought a Wacom Bamboo Capture tablet and got frustrated with it because it was a lot harder for me to draw with than pencil/paper. Recently I pulled it out and tried again, this time with more patience, and started working on my ability to use it. I've gotten better with it, but I still can't seem to get the smooth lines that I can get with pencil, do any of you guys have any tips? I'd really like to move over to digital, but at this point in time it's more annoying than it's worth.
  • Avatar by: Ed, at Luna AfterDark

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
  • Reference: [link]
Re: Tips for getting used to a tablet?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 07:38:13 AM »
It takes quite a bit of practice. The more you use it, the better you'll be at it. There are a few tricks that may help though.

Fast/long strokes will usually give you smoother lines than slow/short strokes. Smaller-sized tablets tend to result in more shaky lines than larger-sized tablets. Zooming in on an image and working on small areas at a time will sometimes help you make smoother lines. It also can help to start with a large image (canvas) and then resize it smaller after you finish your lines, because that will help smooth out some of the jitters. And make sure you play around with the sensitivity settings for the tablet so that they work best with how you draw.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline Jacen

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Currently: Content
Re: Tips for getting used to a tablet?
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 07:51:21 AM »
Thanks for the advice.  :)
  • Avatar by: Ed, at Luna AfterDark