The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Bummin' on in  (Read 1713 times)

Offline Kio

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Canis awesomicus
  • Currently: Being lazy :3
Re: Bummin' on in
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 06:19:58 AM »

"x3  I still can't get past making endless bassline loops.  I have no idea where to go beyond that.  But at least I keep trying once in a while, right? x3"Well, make that a staccato bassline (like a do do dooo do do instead of just a legato (doooooo, long sound) just in case you don't know exactly what that means) with lots of wobbles and formant (like the WAA WIRRR WHAA WIIB WUU sounds you get in speech and uh ... well.. your belly) distortion and you'd be the new Skrillex or Renard  :D
Seriously, though, it's actually easy to make music, good music, that depends on how well your tastes reflect that of people you can aim for commercially and lots of practice (trial and error), especially for production a lot just try different things then by the time they can afford to ask for for lessons they'd already worked things out for themselves with the help of a couple youtube tutorials and an artist's mind for just enough accuracy and comfortable composition.

"[/size]Yeah, Toon Boom is the software I use.  I typed that I use it two or three times, so I thought I'd said, but I guess I wiped that line and never put it back xD  (I tend to heavily edit myself as I type...)"

I know that can be a pain, also the WYSIWYG editor here on the forum seems to eat your comments if you aren't signed in, so like "click" and then "back button" the text is there but it gets erased, I think a browser plugin like NoScript/NotScripts for Firefox/Chrome can stop the editor from clearing but I don't know because I haven't tried it.

[/size]"I'm not concerned with others thinking it's bad or anything - I just want it to look right to *me* and that's hard to pull off"
[/size]
I'm no artist but do you try to seek actual inspiration from the images of other artists like on sites like FA or dA? If you find inspiration and think that looks really good to try out with your fursona, sort of using a reference, may be that could boost your confidence a bit? But I heard an artist is never satisfied with their work as a piece can never really be finished, an artist can always improve so if you feel your fursona is incomplete in a depiction don't beat yourself up about it, then again I would so I'm probably not really anyone take advice from. I'm sure you've probably heard this before but it might well be worth thinking harder about. That reminds me, I feel I should have been catching up on studying art for the last six or so hours, myself. Never mind :P

<(ಠ_ಠ)> I am an angel, fear me.

Therian/otherkin and furry.

Offline Kirona

• Vibrating Furby
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Random and possibly slightly NSFW at times blog thinger
    • Awards
  • Species: dragon/gryphon hybrid
  • Coloring: Red scales, black feather/fluff, black spikes/claws
  • Height: Under 1 foot
  • Weight: A few pounds at most
  • Build: Lithe feral :3
  • Currently: Churrin' around~
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 06:49:55 PM »
x3  I'll have to look at working on music some more if you keep talking about it~

I don't think the editor ate the line about Toon Boom.  I just go over my own posts a few times, checking for typos or phrasing or grammatical issues, and I tend to rewrite chunks of it, so I'd bet I wiped out that line intending to rewrite it and then, for whatever reason, I never actually did.  S'all my fault really, I'm a bit of a perfectionist x3

I look at a lot of anthro/furry artwork all the time, a good bit of it will inspire me or give me ideas.  I just can't quite get shapes right when I draw my fursona.  I know what they are though, I'm not really still trying to "figure it out," per se.  I'm just trying to get it drawn just right x3
Meandering through life... not a clue where I'm going.

Offline Kio

• Boisterous Bear
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 08:31:41 PM »

Making music would actually boost your artistic cognition, if you start doing other artistic things your mind in overall will see more and more things artistically and you become more creative. I hear that making mood music can also be good for thinking of a scene to draw, to think about how say, old school animations used to reflect the sounds in incidental and also impulsive music (Renard's music, for example, is actually often impulsive, and the most incidental music is more ambient or classical like). But it's up to you, of course, just seemed you were interested in Lapfox Trax and that. Note that learning an actual instrument (from scratch, anyway) in its own demand can be a workflow dilemma but this issue is near non-extant with say more "electronic" music production.
Listening to certain moods of music while drawing is also a good way to bring your senses out to make more expressionistic art, if you find music that collides with what you're drawing I hear you can be more drawn to the music than what you're doing, though, so have to really find what reflects and it's often a good idea to avoid more vocal-oriented music while working on anything as it will disturb left brain waves and you should work more on your right brain while focus on drawing (hence more trancing, impulsive and/or incidental-like music is better).

There's the spell check for typos on the board if it helps, I use the spell checker built into the chrome web browser so it's always with me :P
I'm an idealist myself (INFP is my personality, too, and is described is such), but just try to read the line back you're doing and as long as you communicate what you say alright, I don't think grammar or small typos matters too much here.

"I look at a lot of anthro/furry artwork all the time"
[/size]
[/size]But what of which is within your current technique? May be it's worth challenging yourself may be drawing your character how you'd expect someone else, too, or get lots of different artists to draw your fursona until you find inspiration in that respect. I mean once you see it, may be it won't be so hard? It's good to be familiar with your fursona, even if you don't like the result straight away, no?

[/size]Oh them size tags...

Offline Kirona

• Vibrating Furby
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 10:05:33 PM »
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "incidental/impulsive" music :P  But, I listen to music a lot, there's definitely some I prefer when I'm drawing.

I'm fine with spelling, and I do catch most typos as I make them and correct them right then, but I tend to go back over and rewrite sentences that don't make sense, or that feel wrong for whatever reason.  Or, I'll look and notice that I typed a single sentence that's five or six lines long, so I'll go back and redo it as a paragraph because I don't think most people like sentences that long x3

It'd be hard to get other people to draw my fursona when they have nothing to reference to, I think.  Besides which, I have no money to commission such drawings, and the artists I'd most like to see my fursona drawn by charge a good bit x3
I have a few different styles I work in anyway, depending on my mood and stuff, but they all start with the same sketches, and that's the part I can't get past x3  If I can't get the sketch done, even, then it doesn't matter what else I'm doing stylistically because I have nothing to work from.

Offline Kio

• Boisterous Bear
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 10:51:26 PM »
Incidental is more like sudden, like it happens in time to an action in a film or as sign of event, emotional music is usually incidental. Impulsive is like ADHD music, like hardcore rave and metal and stuff like that, but often has incidental elements depending on the musical piece to make it more interesting.

And I see what you mean, but we won't mind too much :P Well not I, anyway. As long as you're not wandering off an tangent into something random like lunar landing conspiracies or something like that  >.>

You don't need money to commission all the time if someone's offering it for free, but I understand you, though you have to compromise sometimes if you really want something like that I guess.
And I know what you mean, drawing from your head must be also very hard, especially if you can't think of the details.

Offline Kirona

• Vibrating Furby
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 11:08:26 PM »
I mind though x3  I'm not a total perfectionist about grammar and such, but I really don't like making mistakes with it in general, and I tend to have a bit of trouble reading posts from others if there are too many errors.

As for drawing my fursona, the details aren't the issue - it's getting the basics done properly that I'm stuck on x3

Offline Kio

• Boisterous Bear
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 11:25:03 PM »
I see :3

I wish I could help you more but I'm no artist myself anyway but all I can say is don't be afraid to keep practicing and trying, I'm sure you'll do it eventually. Think of doing it in weird ways, as well, I don't know, whatever helps I guess.

Offline Kirona

• Vibrating Furby
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2013, 12:03:39 AM »
x3 Thanks for the advice

Offline Bandal

• Eager Elephant
    • Awards
  • Species: Lion
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2013, 09:09:51 PM »
Hello Kirona glad to see you hope you have a wonderful time on the forums ^_^ !
A monoculture never thrives :3