The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Online relationships  (Read 2269 times)

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster
  • Arcane Terrain
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Foxaroo!
  • Coloring: white and orange
  • Height: 5'11''
  • Weight: 145
  • Build: skinny with little fat and muscle
  • Currently: Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost!
Online relationships
« on: January 13, 2013, 11:46:14 PM »
Online relationships, so what's your opinion on them? Are they real relationships? Can they succeed?
If you want beef then bring the ruckus

Offline ImaLionRoarr

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Rawrr!
  • Species: Lion/leopard breed
  • Coloring: Savanna yellow with blackish dots
  • Build: Slender but muscular
  • Currently: Uploading some photos to iPhoto so I can display them here :3
Re: Online relationships
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 11:59:45 PM »
I believe with the two right people it can succeed.

I've become somewhat more skeptical about them though through my own experiences, but those were often relationships whom I had met and shared time with and later moved rather than someone I never met before.

But If I were to find the right one, online for this matter, I would fight as if it was a relation like any other relation that isn't online.

Offline TreacleFox

• Vibrating Furby
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox + Cat
  • Coloring: Deep Orange and White
  • Height: 167 CM
  • Weight: 50 KG
  • Build: Slim and small.
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 12:32:46 AM »
They never really work out as well; online relationships can often feel un-serious. :c

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 12:46:45 AM »
They certainly can work, but usually don't.

I've had my share of experience with them in the past and long ago decided that I'd never go down that road again if I could help it. Like Leiton said, lasting relationships are difficult enough as it is, and dealing with that distance only makes things so much worse. It's especially more difficult when you're young and still living with parents and such, since it's generally much more difficult to travel to see the other person.

I do think online relationships matter though. I think it's fully possible to love someone without ever being in their physical presence, and the happiness and heartbreak that can come with that isn't any less real than any other relationship.

I wouldn't recommend online relationships to anyone, but I definitely can't blame anyone who wants to give them a try. And to anyone who does, I'd still wish them the best of luck. Just because a lot of them fail doesn't mean they all do. I've known a handful of people who have met their partner online and then gone on to marry and/or live together quite happily.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster
  • Arcane Terrain
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Foxaroo!
  • Coloring: white and orange
  • Height: 5'11''
  • Weight: 145
  • Build: skinny with little fat and muscle
  • Currently: Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost!
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 12:49:56 AM »
I've had two online relationships and I met one boyfriend on a dating website (but he was local so we were able to have a physical relationship). Both of them did not end up going well, because I could never go see them and we both ended up having trust issues because it's very easy to cheat in a long distance relationship. Not that I did not have any legitimate feelings, and I would call those relationships real relationships, but beyond that online relationships are very tough for both parties.
If you want beef then bring the ruckus

Offline NovaAurora

• Jovial Jaguar
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • May the FURS be with you!
    • Awards
  • Species: Mostly wolf, part dragon
  • Coloring: Dark and light gray, with black streaks and dark blue extremities.
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 200 lbs
  • Build: Long and lanky, muscular but not bulging.
  • Currently: PC gaming... FINALLY!!
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 01:17:07 AM »
I agree basically with what's already been said. Statistically, and for good reason, they often don't work out well. It takes dedication, self control, and a positive outlook from both sides to make it successful. However, that doesn't mean that they're impossible by any means, and if both parties are able to live with the inherent shortcomings of an online relationship then they do have a very real chance of making it work. I think that you shouldn't rely solely on the internet to find relationships by any means, but at the same time if you happen to find someone who is truly special online then that doesn't discredit things at all. The emotions are still as real as if you were physically together.

~*Airforce Fleet commander*~
We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Come raise your lantern to the sky
And let's illuminate this night
We'll dance like heathens
Around the flames
And while the world sleeps
WE ARE AWAKE!

Offline Draco Vertolgr

• Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • When blinded by adversity just look to the stars
    • Awards
  • Species: Arctic Wolf
  • Coloring: White
  • Build: Average
  • Currently: I'm a Majestic Snowcone
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 02:24:11 AM »
I've tried to stay away from them mainly because I just can't take not being with the person I'm dating. Though my recent ex I met online...

My experience was okay but it ended horribly

But I do think they can work just I don't bother with having one from my recent experience
Our mere existence is enough reason to carry on. Never let others steal your lust for life. Life is all you have and it is all you will get. Cling to it until the universe says it's time to let go. Then rest, only then have you earned it.

Offline Nrein

• The Master of Speechcraft
  • Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Most Online
  • As the humans say, "The truth will out!"
    • Awards
  • Species: Dewott
  • Currently: Needing a Smoke, hardcore.
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 02:42:00 AM »
They most certainly can work, but it's a two way street. If both of the couple don't put in 100%, it just isn't going to work out as well as it should. I've had my fair share of "significant others" that sometimes wouldn't even put in the time of day to try to make things worst.

I find the best way to get past the distance is by really doing a bunch of activities together. Movies, shows, games, video/voice chats, even reading the same book and conversing about it every few chapters or so. Whatever makes it seem like the distance doesn't matter.

Offline Armalite_

• Shoots to Thrill
  • Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 100 Topic Starter
  • For the phony tough and the crazy brave.
    • Fur Affinity
    • My FA
    • Awards
  • Species: Spotted Hyena
  • Coloring: White, brown, charcoal, and green
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 200 lbs.
  • Build: Toned
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 02:55:14 AM »
"Dating through the internet" is not a real relationship.

Offline Scout the Fox

• Chatty Cheetah
  • Hai! :3
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Orange body with streaks of blue and purple, purple eyes
  • Height: 6' 0"
  • Weight: 140 lbs.
  • Build: Between skinny and medium build
  • Currently: Loving the new avi > thanks ~Wolf!
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 02:57:23 AM »
Online relationships can work.
Both sides might have a problem connecting if the relationship lacks physical contact, which is why most online relationships fail.
Good Luck Today

Offline Oboroten

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
  • Species: Werewolf
  • Coloring: Dirty brown/grey
  • Height: 7'5"
  • Weight: 340 lb
  • Build: Bulky but muscular
  • Currently: Hungry
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 06:45:34 AM »
I met my fiancé online about five years ago and started dating/met/became engaged about 2 years ago. He's moving in with me later this year. So, yeah, I think they can definitely work, but they're harder to maintain since you're not actually together and communication can be difficult sometimes.

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 08:23:28 AM »
They never really work out as well; online relationships can often feel un-serious. :c
I disagree.

I'm on my 3rd mate, all of which I've met online. My current one, Euan, and I have been together for 13 months now and we're planning to finally meet up next month.
Overall I'd say we've been very serious and loving. We've also been on webcam several times so we do know how each other looks like.
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline Vee Katame: His Wolfy

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Werepyre
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster Top 50 Most Online This user has donated to the forum.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Werepyre
  • Coloring: Light blue and white fur & hair, deep blue eyes, black claws, and a dark red tongue.
  • Height: 5'5".
  • Weight: Around 130 lbs.
  • Build: Skinny, a little bit of curve at the hips, and a little muscular.
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 03:49:14 PM »
I've known a handful of people who have met their partner online and then gone on to marry and/or live together quite happily.
Aww. Thank you. <3
lol.

I do agree pretty much with what Zeph said.

I had two online "relationships" before Shinzuu. Both only lasted about three months. The first one ended (after about a month of silence) because the guy had found someone else who lived near him (don't think that relationship lasted long for him though). The second one ended because the guy decided he wasn't ready for the relationship, which was really his way of trying to make me go after the guy I liked that I went to school with (which didn't happen).
Third times a charm though. I knew Shinzuu during all that time and we were just friends, but it turned into more.

Real relationships can be made online, it just takes a lot of effort on both parts. And both people must trust each other because that is a big ticket item that ends up ruining online relationships. They can succeed, if given one's all.
Like Zeph though, I wouldn't recommend them if you can find a great relationship in real life. But I wouldn't say they are completely bogus either (since they work sometimes).

Mini badge/banner art by WingedZephyr

"True love doesn't have a happy ending because true love doesn't end." - Unknown

Offline White Wolf Guardian

• Wolgon Hat
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Received through special limited time events Top 10 Poster This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I'm a wolgon!
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf Dragon (Wolgon)
  • Coloring: White and Blue
  • Height: 10' long or 7' tall
  • Weight: 400lbs or 250lbs
  • Build: Thin
  • Currently: Healed up
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 03:53:06 PM »
In my experience, not a single person has proven to be worth going out with online. Part of the reason they are online to begin with. The worst excuses are made and then when they are finally done with you, they say there never was anything going on and say "Let's be friends.".
  • Signature art by: FluffyGorer

Offline Shinzuu Katame: Her Tolfy

• Blade of Fury
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Poster
  • Derkah Derkah
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf-Tiger
  • Coloring: Black and Silver
  • Height: 6'11
  • Weight: 182 lbs.
  • Build: Fit and muscular.
  • Currently: Sore back. Sore feet. Sore everything.
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 04:02:50 PM »
I have to agree to the fact that online relationships really do work. Vee and I first met online (not for the purpose of dating) and we ended up having an online relationship. And now, we live happily together and plan to marry soon. Until only 3 years ago (we've known each other since 7/7/2005, together since 12/11/2007) we've lived 1367 miles away from each other.

A very good friend of mine spent the latter half of his college years to join ministry and after he became an ordained priest, all of his friends and myself pitched in and bought him 3 years of membership to match.com. After 3 months, he found someone from across the state, and it wasn't even 2 years later that they ended up marrying.

Usually, when relationships don't work online, it's because they weren't compatible or they were really not looking for a relationship. As stated before, Vee and I lived almost 1500 miles away from each other, but our relationship worked out for the best. Here's the thing about online relationships. It's the same as real life. The best relationships you have that make compatibility were the relationships you have from a friendship that developed withOUT the purpose of getting a relationship, married or laid. When my friend was on Match.com, he merely looked for female friends within his own age (being mr. priest to the end). If you don't spend time to get to know someone and become attached to them, an online relationship ends up as pointless as a real one if you do the same thing.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 04:06:42 PM by Shinzuu Katame: Her Tolfy »