The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: How Do I Identify A Fellow Furry?  (Read 289 times)

Kushibataar

How Do I Identify A Fellow Furry?
« on: August 20, 2012, 05:30:11 AM »
I don't bother to tell anyone in my tiny close-minded little country town that I'm a furry to avoid persecution :( .  My friend and I discovered the fandom together about two years ago.  Since then, I have become a furry and I think he has as well.  Unfortunately, I can't confront him about this, the only way he would come out is if I told him I was one as well, but there is chance he isn't one.  If I tell him and he's not a furry, I'm done for because he'll likely tell someone and then BOOM! High school Torture.

How can I determine whether or not he's a furry? :?

Offline Talos

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
Re: How Do I Identify A Fellow Furry?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 07:44:26 AM »
I'm not good with advice, but I'll try what I can to not get you killed. (serious face)

Anyway, there's no sure-fire way to know if your friend is a furry, but you can try to look for clues that may help in you guessing if he's a furry.

1. Does he like to draw? If so, why not ask him if you can see some of his drawings. If there's some anthropomorphic stuff in there, or if he's being protective about some of his drawings, he could be a furry, and not want anyone to know.

2. I wouldn't do this right off the bat, but you can try to casually bring up the subject of furries, and talk about the fandom (casually, but not enough to make him think you're a furry), and perhaps he might spill the beans.

On the other hand, it's not a majorly big deal if he knows (of course, I'm not you, so I don't know for sure how urgent it is), but if he's a true friend, he won't tell anyone and accept you for who you are, furry or not. That is the ultimate friendship test. I told my friends I was a furry, and none of them thought any different for it. Heck, I even told them I wanted to go to Anthrocon and throughly explained it to them, and they still treated me the same. That shows how good your friends are. If you really feel you should, tell him. He's your friend, and if he respects you, he won't tell anybody or make fun of you.

I'm sorry, I'm just so bad at giving advice. It's not my forte.

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 09:59:54 AM »
Personally, I would subtly hint about the furry fandom to him to see how he might go about it.

But to be perfectly honest, if you both discovered the furry fandom together and you are both friends, I really doubt he'll mind :P Unless he discovered the furry fandom and was instantly "OMG! I HATE FURRIES!" then he won't mind, chances are he is a furry himself, but if he isn't I really doubt he'll think less of you or tell anyone else.

I could be wrong of course, but that's just from the info you gave us :3

I also want to mention that I know telling someone about something like this is really, really hard, regardless of the situation. If it's bothering you (which it seems it is otherwise you wouldn't of posted this thread) then I have some pointers for you
  • Realize you're over-thinking things: Chances are (if you're like most people) you tend to other think reactions. You come up with the worst possible scenarios and it scares you, you just have to try and step back and see which scenario really and truly is the most likely
  • Realize that you will feel better afterwards: Hiding something that is such a part of you sucks, big time, it can cause many indirect problems. So realize that once you've told someone there is no hiding and you can be you. Even if they react badly, at least you don't have to hide.
  • Realize that there is no perfect time: If you really want to tell him, make sure you're ready, but at the same time realize that there isn't going to be some magical time period where you feel absolutely comfortable with telling him (well their might be but it's unlikely). Realize that feeling uncomfortable about telling someone this is completely natural, just make sure you have thought about it before hand.
I hope things go well :3
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Kushibataar

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 02:57:38 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys, I didn't think I'd even get replies.

I can't just go on the assumption that he is one because even if he does understand, he may blab to someone accidentally.  Everyone in my town knows what furries are but, again, they aren't exactly open-minded.  It's the kind of town where Liberals, Homosexuals, Furries, and above all, Bronies, are hunted down.  I mean, literally hunted down.  Last school year someone came out and admitted they were gay.  I have no concrete evidence the guys at our school did it, but the next day he came in pretty beat up.... It wasn't pretty.....

As you can see this is much more serious than just being called a few names and being shunned.

Offline ST-84 Sahelanthropus

• Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Poster
  • BetrayerOfNihil
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Nanotech Robot
  • Height: Usually 7ft, up to 50ft
  • Currently: A weapon to surpass... well, everything.
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 03:08:20 AM »
See if you can log on to his computer and check his Temporary Internet Files for Furry-related sites. I think it's less of a gamble than approaching him directly with it. Although some would consider it an invasion of privacy... there are much worse things to do with someone else's computer.

Offline Talos

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 12:19:16 AM »
See if you can log on to his computer and check his Temporary Internet Files for Furry-related sites. I think it's less of a gamble than approaching him directly with it. Although some would consider it an invasion of privacy... there are much worse things to do with someone else's computer.

True, true. If I were you, I wouldn't do that though. But if you're feeling brave, go on!