The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: I feel underestimated and misjudged at every turn by adults.  (Read 311 times)

Offline Riku Aotsuki

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Who...am I...?
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Snow Leopard!
  • Coloring: Primarily a blue so pale it's almost white
  • Height: 5' 9"
  • Weight: 95lbs not including the weight of his fur.
  • Build: Very lean, but enough muscle so as not to look skeletal.
  • Currently: Listening to music!
I feel underestimated and misjudged at every turn by adults.
« on: August 08, 2012, 07:54:16 PM »
It really bugs me. I'm very good at understanding why people do what they do, why they think the way they think... The human organism is no mystery to me. It all makes sense to me. Except... why do adults so often accept that a teen can be wise beyond their years? Even if you tell them an issue you have with your parents, for example, and tell them how you've gone over every part of the problem in just about every way... If there's even a grain of "I don't like my parents" in there, the universal answer from adults is along the lines of "You've got your life ahead of you, it's not a big deal" or "You'll understand what they're doing/why they're like that when you're a parent." It's my biggest peeve. Being treated like just another kid. I always liked hanging around older people when I was little, like 65 plus, because they understood me, naive, yes, but wise in spite of that. Why is it when a teen complains about anything, they're assumed not to understand the whole picture? It's infuriating. My mom gets mad at me all the time for not accepting her ideas for what I'm doing, even though I tell her I already thought of it and it did not or would not work. It's always like that. I go over each possibility, each outcome of them, whether or not a 'solution' is actually viable... No one accepts that.
I feel so alone in this.
Does anyone else understand me?
I'm not a naive idiot, why am I labeled as one? Is it because I know where the world's problems lie and the solutions I give are unrealistic? I know they are, I never said they weren't... But they ARE the solutions...
I'm sorry if this is chaotically written, I'm baring my emotions, and this happens when I do that... I forget about my insecurities, hidden behind a wall. Then I talk about them, and my mind shows its chaos.
Why am I like this?
Why can't I be happy?
Why do people twist my words, my actions?
Do they even care about me? They sound like it, and then any reassurance is quickly undone in one way or another.
Am I supposed to trust my mother? She certainly has done nothing to deserve it, instead all I hear is lies...
Help...
I just don't know anymore...
Many children fear the darkness. The wisest know that this is foolishness; it is the shadows that should be feared.
~Riku Aotsuki
The you you think of as you is not you. The you that thinks of you as you is not you. Who then, desires to become enlightened?
~Jed McKenna

Offline Døvu

• Foxy Fox
  • kik: Dovuu
    • Awards
  • Species: Lion
  • Coloring: dark brown, tan, white, gold
  • Height: Anthro: 6'0 Feral: 4'6
  • Weight: Anthro: 145 Feral: 470
  • Currently: in need of attention
Re: I feel underestimated and misjudged at every turn by adults.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 09:33:05 PM »
Hey Riku  :)

First of all let me start by saying that no matter how old you are, you will always be a child to your parents. Its like that for everyone, not just you. They will always be concerned for you, question you, bicker at you, but thats just the way it is. I feel it all the time, I feel like they dont trust me, like I dont know what Im doing. Theyre always so skeptical about everything I try. Sadly thats the way parents are. We will always be their babies.

Trust issues in families come from a lot of things. For me its when parents lie and hide things from me, but hey, I do the same to them. Its a vicious circle, but in the end thats normal for a family (unfortunately). Someday they will come to realize youre an independent adult. Im still waiting for the day myself, although Im getting ready to move out for college. Its something that can be solved with patience and understanding. Im not saying that you should ignore your parents, or try to change your opinion, but I suggest talking with them. Let them know how they make you feel, and they will listen. Trust me.
FA: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/dovu/

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline Riku Aotsuki

• Boisterous Bear
  • Who...am I...?
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 09:50:59 PM »
Thanks, Dingo. But I gotta say this, now. One, not just my parents. Well, really my mom,  I rarely see my dad. Almost all adults give me this treatment. And second, I've tried talking to her, telling her I know what I'm talking about, telling her I've thought over everything, or whatever, given the situation. But she doesn't listen... She tells me she loves me more then anything, then turns around and doesn't listen to a word I say, and lies to my face.
But again, it isn't just about her... Why do most adults seem to think every teen is immature, naive, shallow, stupid, or any combination of those? I'm none of them... but I always get lumped in.
Many children fear the darkness. The wisest know that this is foolishness; it is the shadows that should be feared.
~Riku Aotsuki
The you you think of as you is not you. The you that thinks of you as you is not you. Who then, desires to become enlightened?
~Jed McKenna

Offline Døvu

• Foxy Fox
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 10:40:19 PM »
Unfortunately we fall into stereotypes man :/

remember as a kid when teenagers looked like badasses and were scary, and now your a teenager and dont feel any different, except the way people treat you. Probably someday ill be old and Ill look at the teenagers of that generation and shake my head, but what ever, because theyre just being themselves and thats all that matters.

Offline Riku Aotsuki

• Boisterous Bear
  • Who...am I...?
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 11:14:40 PM »
Even given direct proof that I break the stereotype, they treat me like it.
Sigh..
~Riku Aotsuki
~Jed McKenna

Offline Døvu

• Foxy Fox
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 11:23:43 PM »
Things will change, trust me. Just be yourself.

Offline Riku Aotsuki

• Boisterous Bear
  • Who...am I...?
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 12:56:44 AM »
Yep... at around 25 or so, I'll be treated like I know what I'm talking about...hopefully.
~Riku Aotsuki
~Jed McKenna

Offline Growlithe

• Boisterous Bear
  • Blarg
    • Awards
  • Species: Meerkitty
  • Currently: Ready to see the world
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 02:59:19 AM »
No offense by any means, but I disagree. The human organism isn't simple. If you had the world figured out, you wouldn't be posting here. On top of that, people, and the world, change too rapidly to truly understand. Take things a step at a time and don't attempt to play your hand like you know what others are thinking, or doing. Always know that nothing is certain. Take that from a social engineer.

You also seem arrogant; my only support for this is your belief that
"your solution is nearly always the best and you shouldn't intake what others offer". That would be great and all if two situations occurred every time.
1. You /were/ always right
2. People weren't offended by your cynical views.
If you stop holding such a cynical stance, you could see where they're coming from, too. It sounds like you think the world is out to get you and you're misunderstood. You expect people to understand what you have to offer, but you don't quite take their options to even humor them.

That's just what I've written from what I was given.
  • Signature art by: unknown
Feel free to PM me, I check here 1-2 times a day and love getting PMs

Offline Riku Aotsuki

• Boisterous Bear
  • Who...am I...?
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 03:29:41 AM »
I never said the human organism was simple; rather that I understand it more than a lot of people. I don't ask "why is that person like that?" or "why would they do that?." Things like that aren't questions I ask. I know what life does to people, and can think of a lot of ways and reasons someone might have for being the way they are. The way people THINK makes sense to me. Through my seventeen years, I've both paid attention to people and gone through more mindsets than I'd like to admit, from zealot to suicidal. I don't know what people think, but I understand WHY they might think the way they do. The actions of people don't surprise me unless they do something drastically out of character, and even then I usually know reasons that led to it.
And arrogant? I'll admit it, I can be. But I back it up. My solutions may not be the BEST, but when my mother comes to me with a solution, it's one I've already thought of, tried, or debunked. If it's something I haven't thought of, which doesn't happen often, I think about it, and incorporate it into my own solution if it could improve on it. I'm far from cynical, too. Cynicism is distrust of the honesty or morality of people. I accept someone as honest until I know I've been lied to. And my mother has lost the privilege of my assuming she's telling the truth after she's lied blatantly to me.

Sorry. I know you said no offense meant, but... Yeah. you kinda poked that peeve of being underestimated and misunderstood. I'm sorry if it wasn't as clear as I would have liked. Arrogant, yeah, but not in a way that makes me anything like closed-minded. To give a simple example of what I meant when I said my solution tends to be best, say my mom's computer gets a virus. First off, I'd scan it and such. She'd suggest to scan it with McAfee, but it's not working, i tell her this, she says "fix it." I already tried; nothing i could do. Then i get yelled at for writing her off when i'd tried what she'd suggested previously. To put it most simply, if someone hands me a cookie-cutter solution, almost guaranteed I've tried it already.

This is what I mean. Part of it is probably lack of charisma on my part, but adults so often misinterpret what I'm saying into a form of unfounded teen arrogance.
~Riku Aotsuki
~Jed McKenna

Offline Nrein

• The Master of Speechcraft
  • Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 100 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
  • As the humans say, "The truth will out!"
    • Awards
  • Species: Dewott
  • Currently: Needing a Smoke, hardcore.
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 04:04:50 AM »
It's honestly simple. Adults tend to think they know what's what. Regardless of what. My parents are the same way. Everything has to be done to their liking, exactly. Even if I do it to the "t" how they want it, there's always *something* wrong with what I did. They ask me to do the dishes? Fine. Uh oh, I used a green pad instead of a cloth!

Best example. My mom likes to put the cat food dishes, in with the rest of them, in the dishwasher. That makes all the other dishes have crusty cat food on them. I'll say something about it, it gets turned into me "complaining" about it. They'll tell me to wash the dishes myself then, and I do. But then I get complained at for "rewashing" dishes. So, what do I do? I just set aside my own dishes to wash. But then that's bad because that means they're dishes no one else uses. So if I just choose not to do anything though, they end up complaining about the cat food in the dishes =V

Point being. Adults, and parents, are just like that. Either because they have such high expectations, or they went through it themselves, or even if they don't know they're doing it, who knows. Eventually, I guarantee we'll all be like that when we're older, in some way or another. Personally, I think it's to do with patience. When you get older, you typically lose patience quicker (for quite a few people, at least.) And if you try to bring it up with them, they'll just complain that you're complaining, or etc. In all honesty, the best thing you can do, to avoid any other trouble, is to just grin and bear it, until you don't have to worry about it. And you can be "that" adult.

Offline Riku Aotsuki

• Boisterous Bear
  • Who...am I...?
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 04:35:02 AM »
I definitely plan on being the adult that understands. So many seem to forget everything about adults that irritated them when they were younger. I want to be the one that keeps it in mind.
~Riku Aotsuki
~Jed McKenna

Offline RedJay

• Avid Aardvark
  • Cookie loves hugs and hugs loves cookie :)
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: A vampiric Red fox
  • Coloring: Red And white
  • Height: Slightly tall
  • Build: Thin but strong
  • Currently: In a good mood for cuddles :3
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 10:00:38 AM »
To be honest Riku my parants are the same it always has to be there way and they say that im always wrong and they just never let me be myself.. I really look up to you with this and i understand parents will always see you as a child and treat you like one im not a expert with them but i can tell you that it is hard to deal with  :/ . I want to be an adult that understands and not be like my parants but there makeing it hard for me to do that. I hope things go well for you if you need to talk just say to me,sorry if this didn't help too much.
*Hugs cookies and hugs*

Offline Riku Aotsuki

• Boisterous Bear
  • Who...am I...?
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 04:41:30 PM »
Knowing someone else has a similar issue definitely helps, thanks.
~Riku Aotsuki
~Jed McKenna