The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Genetic Engineering  (Read 11522 times)

Offline MrRazot

• Resident Nice-guy
  • Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • Marching onward on my Quest
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lanner Falcon
  • Coloring: Selection of Browns
  • Height: Aprx 180cm
  • Weight: Aprx 50kg
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Well, it was a good run.
Re: Genetic Engineering
« Reply #105 on: June 22, 2012, 05:28:48 PM »
look up graphine

harder than diamond,
most conductive substance we know of
only an atom thick though is visible
has amazing light bending properties

we, ladies and gentlemen, are about to enter the graphine age

when this stuff goes mass production, who knows what will happen :P

fun fact: it's already been used to make invisible missiles
  • Signature art by: MrRazot

Offline Aoren Deringer

• Lovable Lion
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • When god closes a door, I plant a breaching charge
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: African Painted Dog
  • Coloring: Black, red and white.
  • Height: Standing: short. Sitting: Slightly... taller?
  • Weight: 97.000000000000017 Kg
  • Build: Medium build, muscular.
  • Currently: Working on the sweetest sciences
« Reply #106 on: June 22, 2012, 05:35:40 PM »
What does any of this have to do with genetic engineering? xD We seem to have corrupted the original topic and made a physics thread.
  • Avatar by: Myself, during an experiment with inversion.
"Science isn't about being conservative with your cash, it's about spending as much as you can as ridiculously as you can and hoping it doesn't explode."
- Sjin

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!
-Aoren Rekner Ilon Deringer, F.D.F. Mechanised Unit Commander, Four Stars.

Life is an adventure! Sure, you'll probably spend most of it weeping uncontrollably, and on fire, but hey!

Offline MrRazot

• Resident Nice-guy
  • Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • Marching onward on my Quest
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lanner Falcon
  • Coloring: Selection of Browns
  • Height: Aprx 180cm
  • Weight: Aprx 50kg
  • Currently: Well, it was a good run.
« Reply #107 on: June 22, 2012, 05:40:39 PM »
i fail to see your point
*slaps you with a wet trout*

on point though, anyone hear about the guy who is mapping human DNA?

Offline ZombiezuRFER

• Dancing Dragon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Steam
    • Awards
  • Species: Spinosaurus aegyptiacus
  • Coloring: Grey, red, rust red, light blue, yellow eyes, black claws
  • Height: 9 ft 9 in
  • Weight: 360 lbs
  • Build: Tall, strong, and lean
« Reply #108 on: June 22, 2012, 09:27:14 PM »
We've essentially changed the topic from genetic engineering to future technology.

Back to the topic, designer babies anyone?

= Special Operations =

Et tu, Human?
De oculo mentis, servire se optimum est.

Offline undead JetAngel

• Boisterous Bear
  • a roaming writer
    • Awards
  • Species: great white (anthro)
  • Coloring: biohazard green, white underbelly and glowing yellow eyes with lime green brown
  • Height: 6' 5"
  • Weight: 185 LBS
  • Build: Medium build
  • Currently: mellow
« Reply #109 on: July 06, 2012, 12:07:30 PM »
well.. with enough research using stem cells any feat is possible.from designer babies to the creation of new species.
  • Signature art by: FDF
while wandering my towns outskirts the unthinkable happend... I some how open'd a rift in time or space. It sucked me in never to be seen in my home world again. I can't control this uncanny ability nor will I ever. Randomly jumping worlds at the worst of times. I only own what I left my home with, my bullet bike jacket, worn jeans a watch and my charm. I'm on my own. Scar's from riding the rift are still on my body. They glow a brilliant yellow. I try to reason first, run and fight when i have to. I am Jet. We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline CalTheFox

• Vibrating Furby
  • Drew it myself, meh... it's a start.
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Orange fur with Dark Brown Hair, goatee and arms and legs.
  • Height: Rather tall.
  • Weight: A bit below average.
  • Build: Skinny, but not overly.
  • Currently: Rather happy.
« Reply #110 on: July 06, 2012, 12:11:27 PM »
I would LIKE it, but in the end of the day it wouldn't be your natural self. If it is to ever get to the point where they CAN do that, I'm not sure I actually would. Simply because of the risks of problems, such a dramatic cchange it would be, and under the fur everything would be un-natural. But yeah I'd like to, just sounds like there would be strings attached, and of course how un-natural it would be.
Fun loving Anthro Fox, although pretty much no one knows the deep inside personality of mine.

Offline undead JetAngel

• Boisterous Bear
  • a roaming writer
    • Awards
  • Coloring: biohazard green, white underbelly and glowing yellow eyes with lime green brown
« Reply #111 on: July 06, 2012, 12:47:02 PM »
it wouldnt be availiable to the public unless everything was in check and safe with no "strings attached" otherwise no one would participate, let alone research genetic engineering. ^_^
while wandering my towns outskirts the unthinkable happend... I some how open'd a rift in time or space. It sucked me in never to be seen in my home world again. I can't control this uncanny ability nor will I ever. Randomly jumping worlds at the worst of times. I only own what I left my home with, my bullet bike jacket, worn jeans a watch and my charm. I'm on my own. Scar's from riding the rift are still on my body. They glow a brilliant yellow. I try to reason first, run and fight when i have to. I am Jet. We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline ZombiezuRFER

• Dancing Dragon
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: July 06, 2012, 02:14:53 PM »
I would LIKE it, but in the end of the day it wouldn't be your natural self. If it is to ever get to the point where they CAN do that, I'm not sure I actually would. Simply because of the risks of problems, such a dramatic cchange it would be, and under the fur everything would be un-natural. But yeah I'd like to, just sounds like there would be strings attached, and of course how un-natural it would be.

Natural fallacy

Everything "natural" isn't necessarily better than anything synthetic, for instance, snake bites are natural, hurricanes and tornadoes are natural, extinction events are natural, etc.
Some non "natural" things are housing, internet, dogs, medicine, antivenin, defibrillators, etc.

= Special Operations =

Et tu, Human?

Offline Jyynx

• Eager Elephant
  • Wolfmode (ON) OFF
    • Produce electronic and mixtapes, been DJing for about a year and half: my site below.
    • Awards
  • Species: Italian Wolf
  • Coloring: Gray
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: About 190
  • Build: Average
  • Currently: Gone Riding
« Reply #113 on: July 06, 2012, 10:11:28 PM »
Yes, but I don't see it ever happening, churches will knock it down in a heartbeat and one really can't justify the research for the better good, so... I'll try magic someday

Offline Fawkes

• Avid Aardvark
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Red Fox
  • Coloring: Main colour orange-red, secondary colour white. Black feet and forepaws
  • Height: 5'8
  • Weight: 125 pounds.
  • Build: Curvy. C-Cup.
« Reply #114 on: July 06, 2012, 10:23:34 PM »
I thin that genetic engineering is definitely a complicated issue Manipulating a genetic code is extremely complicated and expensive, and if only the rich get to perfect their offspring, or even themselves, it will only add to the hierarchical, consumerist society we already live in. I understand that not all rich people have sinister ulterior motives, but it has been proven time and time again that there are people seeking power only to abuse it.

Genetic engineering is a science, and science takes a lot of time to understand and develop, but thankfully we have come a long way from using leeches to cure migraines. A genetic code is very complex. It is the basic fiber of our being. If someone splices the wrong gene or makes even the slightest mistake, it could mean the death of someone, possibly a small child, a loss of a job, a moral uproar and millions of dollars wasted. We don't need any more research facilities and abortion clinics being set on fire.

It's because of all this that it should be a very long time before I would ever consensually let someone turn me into a fox. I want  them to be able to do it in their sleep.
- Fawkes

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Poster
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #115 on: July 07, 2012, 04:03:47 AM »

Natural fallacy

Everything "natural" isn't necessarily better than anything synthetic, for instance, snake bites are natural, hurricanes and tornadoes are natural, extinction events are natural, etc.
Some non "natural" things are housing, internet, dogs, medicine, antivenin, defibrillators, etc.

To be honest, I don't even like the world "natural" because what does it even mean? A Desk top computer is natural, it is made by natural beings (humans) who used natural material (silicon/other material) in a natural way (physical phenomena). A computer, which we deem synthetic, is just a bunch of natural phenomena mixed together; much like sand or life. In my opinion, nature and synthetic are the same thing technically.
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline undead JetAngel

• Boisterous Bear
  • a roaming writer
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: July 07, 2012, 04:34:39 AM »
well. i must agree with that.. the world makes us what we are. it is after all the enviornment that shaped us. so it makes sense that we too shape the enviornment. and as always we are in  our own way stopping ourselves and prevent any change, the only thing that never chamges is that everything must change. ^_^  genetic engineeri g is just the speeding up of change, or inducing it with minor manipulations.

Offline Fawkes

• Avid Aardvark
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Red Fox
  • Coloring: Main colour orange-red, secondary colour white. Black feet and forepaws
  • Height: 5'8
  • Weight: 125 pounds.
  • Build: Curvy. C-Cup.
« Reply #117 on: July 07, 2012, 05:56:50 PM »
Honestly, if genetic engineering could turn me into my fursona I would want them too. But I'm also a therian. I would run away and live in a cabin in the woods and never speak to anyone other than my wife. But I have a purpose here. I'm a human for a reason, and I have to fulfill what I was put here to do, which is to be a psychologist and an animal therapist  ^_^
- Fawkes

Offline undead JetAngel

• Boisterous Bear
  • a roaming writer
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: July 08, 2012, 01:43:12 AM »
yup. well no one should fear the uknown . we should be used to it by now considering that change has been with us since the beginning. it wouldnt harm anyone to participate in research and progress. essentially i'm saying huah!

Offline ZombiezuRFER

• Dancing Dragon
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #119 on: July 08, 2012, 02:36:36 PM »

Natural fallacy

To be honest, I don't even like the world "natural" because what does it even mean? A Desk top computer is natural, it is made by natural beings (humans) who used natural material (silicon/other material) in a natural way (physical phenomena). A computer, which we deem synthetic, is just a bunch of natural phenomena mixed together; much like sand or life. In my opinion, nature and synthetic are the same thing technically.
Precisely.

= Special Operations =

Et tu, Human?