The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Film about sexual subcultures and the internet - looking for interviewees in NYC  (Read 1982 times)

Offline amtr

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
Hello -- I hope I'm not intruding on your forum. I'm a filmmaker in the NYC area and I'm interested in interviewing furries for a documentary. I was hoping that members of this forum might be interested in participating.

The film is about internet subcultures, with particular emphasis on lifestyles that are immersive and reach into many aspects of an individual’s life. I am also interested in sexuality and gender and how it relates to these subcultures, though your interest/lifestyle does not necessarily have to be sexual at all. Though I’m not limiting my documentary to the subcultures below, I’m particularly interested in:

• Furries and plushies
  • Toonophiles
  • Vampires
  • Therians/werefolk
  • Otherkin
  • Objectum-sexuals (people who love, or are attracted to, objects)
  • Female masking
  • Fascinations with particular fandoms, such as anime series
  • Celebrity fandoms
  • Balloonophiles
  • Mermaids
  • Realdoll enthusiasts
  • Spanking lifestyles
You are free to limit the scope of the interview and to make certain questions off-limits. I will endeavor to make you comfortable and to allow you to stop the interview at any time. If I interview you, I might ask:
  • When you realized that you had this interest, lifestyle, or orientation
  • How the internet has helped you connect to people who share your interests
  • What your collection, playspace, costumes, or other materials look like, and how you acquired/created them
  • What real-life activities you engage in with your particular subculture, such as meetups or conventions
  • Whether your family/friends know and how they have reacted
  • How your sexuality and gender identity relate to your subculture, if applicable
The documentary will take a respectful, empowering look at people with unusual tastes and fantasies.  My focus is on lifestyle choice as one of the last frontiers of liberation, and on the internet as a tool of empowerment. I'm also interested in the idea of "fursecution" and how it compares to concepts like homophobia or racism.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or if you know anyone who would be interested in participating. You can PM me or respond to this topic. I’m willing to travel to all five boroughs. A little about me: I am a graduate student at Hunter College School of Social Work, and am studying to be a psychotherapist.

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
  • Reference: [link]
Please be aware that this forum is generally kept at a PG-13 rating. Discussing sexuality in itself is acceptable, but please respect the forum rules when approaching this subject.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline amtr

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
Please be aware that this forum is generally kept at a PG-13 rating. Discussing sexuality in itself is acceptable, but please respect the forum rules when approaching this subject.

Thanks for letting me know -- I'll keep that in mind.

Offline Puncia

• The Freaky
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter
  • I am funny and intelligent. And attractive.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Twilight Leopard
  • Height: 9 ft long (274 cm), 7 ft tall (213 cm); tail, 12 ft (365 cm)
  • Weight: 2315 lbs (1050 kg)
  • Build: Stocky
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: *flop* One-man furpile.
Residing in Norway, I have no way of participating in this, but I would love to see the finished result one day.

Offline amtr

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
Bumping - does anyone in the NYC area want to participate?

Offline Riku Aotsuki

• Boisterous Bear
  • Who...am I...?
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Snow Leopard!
  • Coloring: Primarily a blue so pale it's almost white
  • Height: 5' 9"
  • Weight: 95lbs not including the weight of his fur.
  • Build: Very lean, but enough muscle so as not to look skeletal.
  • Currently: Listening to music!
One thing I will ask. Keep in mind that "furry" isn't a sexual subculture. It's a fandom, just like any other fandom out there. People who are furries may be part of such a subculture, but furry in itself is NOT. Please understand that, lest you insult a great deal of people.
Many children fear the darkness. The wisest know that this is foolishness; it is the shadows that should be feared.
~Riku Aotsuki
The you you think of as you is not you. The you that thinks of you as you is not you. Who then, desires to become enlightened?
~Jed McKenna