The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Friends who are furry-haters.  (Read 495 times)

Offline [Sov]

• Your Local Neurotic Hyena
  • Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Topic Starter
  • One more word and you wont survive.
    • Awards
  • Species: Striped Hyena
  • Coloring: Chocolate brown stripes, sandy colored fur
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: 150lbs
  • Build: Curvy~
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Neurotic!
Friends who are furry-haters.
« on: April 30, 2012, 03:23:57 AM »
I have some irl friends who are openly furry haters. Not so much furry haters, but they more-so just say that furries are sick fetish freaks/weirdos, etc.  :(

So this is more of a question: Would you keep friends who talk about furries like that? Would you try and educate them? Or just keep silent?
I am closed for commissions. See my furaffinity for pricing.

I’m taking it slow
Feeding my flame
Shuffling the cards of your game
And just in time
In the right place
Suddenly I will play my ace

Wanna find me in other places?

FurAffinity::Twitter

Offline Nrein

• The Master of Speechcraft
  • Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. Top 100 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online
  • As the humans say, "The truth will out!"
    • Awards
  • Species: Dewott
  • Currently: Needing a Smoke, hardcore.
Re: Friends who are furry-haters.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 03:33:45 AM »
Honestly, it depends on the friend. If it's someone whose open to reason, and has been poorly educated on the matter, sure I'll try to make them see us as who we really are. Well, the majority of us, anyway >3>

I myself, have only friends here that think furries are just odd/strange/weird/etc. Of course I'd keep them as my friends, even if they "hated" furries, simply because I know I don't fall under the stereotypes they would/could say, and I wouldn't feel personal offense.

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 05:02:15 AM »
In addition to what Nic said, it also depends on what that friend means to you and how often it causes an issue in your friendship.

If it's someone who is really important in your life, find a way to make it work. They don't have to like furries, they just should care about not saying something offensive to you.

If it's a topic that only comes up once in a blue moon, just ignore it. It happens. Chances are, whatever they're saying, it's not worth holding a grudge over it.

If you want to tell them, tell them. If you don't, don't. You can also defend the fandom without actually naming yourself as a furry if you want to.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline [Sov]

• Your Local Neurotic Hyena
  • Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Topic Starter
  • One more word and you wont survive.
    • Awards
  • Species: Striped Hyena
  • Coloring: Chocolate brown stripes, sandy colored fur
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: 150lbs
  • Build: Curvy~
  • Currently: Neurotic!
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 02:19:48 PM »
That's true. I just feel like it comes up a lot with these specific friends I'm thinking of, and it always makes me uncomfortable. Like, maybe they know and they want me to say something, but I'm not really sure if I really want to or not.
I am closed for commissions. See my furaffinity for pricing.

I’m taking it slow
Feeding my flame
Shuffling the cards of your game
And just in time
In the right place
Suddenly I will play my ace

Wanna find me in other places?

FurAffinity::Twitter

Offline Puncia

• The Freaky
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter
  • I am funny and intelligent. And attractive.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Twilight Leopard
  • Height: 9 ft long (274 cm), 7 ft tall (213 cm); tail, 12 ft (365 cm)
  • Weight: 2315 lbs (1050 kg)
  • Build: Stocky
  • Currently: *flop* One-man furpile.
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 03:29:43 PM »
Not to make me sound like anyone special, but I tend to only have close/good friends that are intelligent, mature and open people. I don't mean they're all stoners or bisexuals or have unique styles, but they would let someone educated on the subject speak before assuming anything. The reason is simply that those are the kind of people I share interests with and enjoy being with.

Only one of my friends have ever spoken negatively of the furdom, and he simply asked in a bi-sentence "Isn't that sorta like a fetish thing?" and I explained it in 2 sentences and that was the end of the conversation.

But to answer your question...
Would I keep friends who talk about furries like that? Would I try and educate them? Or just keep silent? Yes, I would give them a fair and honest chance of changing their opinion, explaining to them that the fur fandom is just as harmless as a Harry Potter fandom or... a Dr. Who fandom. If they didn't listen to reason, I would simply tell them how I feel about their blind prejudice and not invite them to my parties anymore. I wouldn't avoid them however, that would be childish.

Offline soutthpaw

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 09:17:44 PM »
Try comparing it to Renaissance Festivals and those who do the reinactment stuff.  My sister is big time into thise including doing the jousting with her horses, have a whole guild etc.  People attend  multiple week long festivals and seem to have no issues with it.   THe like reading/watching/ and doing art from the time period. In addition they choose to reenact the time period at events.   
With Furries its only difference is the subject matter.   There are also many who do not even know there is a fandom for what interests them.  Think all the Disney fans, animated movie fans, anthro game fans, etc.   you can use trekies or Star Wars fandom too.  but like us those are less mainstream...  [size=78%] [/size]

Offline Draco Vertolgr

• Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • When blinded by adversity just look to the stars
    • Awards
  • Species: Arctic Wolf
  • Coloring: White
  • Build: Average
  • Currently: I'm a Majestic Snowcone
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 10:17:36 PM »
I have friends who say they are oaky with me being a furry but secretly dis me for it even though I explained to them what a furry really is. I think people like to believe the worst in others just for fun, I know it sounds dark but I think people are just tht cruel
Our mere existence is enough reason to carry on. Never let others steal your lust for life. Life is all you have and it is all you will get. Cling to it until the universe says it's time to let go. Then rest, only then have you earned it.